How do I set up Bluetooth keyboard in Mint 8 Xfce edition?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bbear

How do I set up Bluetooth keyboard in Mint 8 Xfce edition?

Post by bbear »

I have recently installed Mint 8 Xfce. I have been using Mint7 for some time and more recently Mint 8 Helena. However I read that the Xfce edition did not include pulseaudio (a good thing from my experience so far with Helena).
The install of Xfce edition went smoothly but I am having problems locating the menu item for setting up my Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. The keyboard (Logitech Mediaboard Pro) works in Gloria and Helena but can't find where to access the Bluetooth setup program in Xfce edition.

From Synaptic I can see that the Bluetooth packages are installed so I guess that for some reason the icon is just missing from the menu or the services have not started. Can someone please help?

thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bbear

Re: How do I set up Bluetooth keyboard in Mint 8 Xfce editio

Post by bbear »

<EDIT> I have just seen the date in the post to linux.debian.bugs.dist, it is April 2008. Probably the problem I am experiencing with the lack of bluetooth applet is some other issue.

Anyway, I just found this discussion under Mint Newbie Quesions forum, it looks like this might have the solution:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 1&p=255709

It looks like this is a known bug in Xfce:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.de ... df488fd08f

I wonder if blueman has the same issue?, that's assuming that there is a package for the Xfce edition of Mint 8
bbear

Post by bbear »

ok, the two threads mentioned in my previous post were a dead end. For the Mint post I mentioned, that was for fluxbox, I confused it with Xfce. I will keep looking but if anyone has any ideas how to bring up that bluetooth applet in Xfce edition please let me know.

Also my Linksys wireless adapter is not coming up, I will start another thread for that,
bbear

Post by bbear »

I solved the problem by installing 'blueman' using Synaptic

After installing blueman and rebooting my computer, the Bluetooth Applet appeared in the taskbar. I had some issues pairing my keyboard but eventually figured out how to get it to pair using the 'Setup New Device' option which was available by right clicking on the Bluetooth Applet in the taskbar. I have since rebooted my computer and it still recognizes my Bluetooth keyboard (Logitech Mediaboard Pro) ok. Keyboard and touchpad functions seem to be working fine.

It is strange that there was no Bluetooth applet running with the initial Xfce installation. Synaptic showed that bluez and associated packages were installed. anyway, blueman seems to have saved the day :D

Return to “Xfce”