Desktop Effects

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I'm not sure I understand the request. Are you wanting to remove Beryl? You can do that in synaptic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Code: Select all

rm -rf .beryl*
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

you could try to reconfigure the xserver and/or beryl via the command line:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

or/and

sudo dpkg-reconfigure beryl

(beryl may not be the correct name for the package.)

you could try the beryl one first.
this should reset it to the installed state.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Boo wrote:this should reset it to the installed state.
But this doesn't have any influence on the various .beryl* config files in his home directory .... :wink: And those are the ones that become active when he switches beryl on. So it's enough just to remove those and leave the packages untouched. :wink:

And why do you recommend to re-configure the X.org server when X.org isn't even the problem? What if he hoses his currently working /etc/X11/xorg.conf with your suggestion? :roll:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ok tried this

Post by scorp123 »

DFergATL wrote: I did this. There is something very strange going on here. When I turn on Desktop effects. I loose the window borders with the close/min/max buttons.
Probably you still got some window decorator settings that aren't right, e.g. you're trying to use a non-existant Emerald theme, or Emerald doesn't load anything because it can't find a config yet. You'd need to go to the Beryl Manager (red diamond icon in the system tray) and launch the Emerald Manager where you'd define window borders etc. which you want to use while Beryl is active.

Once the settings are stored everything should work as expected.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Re-Install

Post by scorp123 »

DFergATL wrote:I just went ahead and did a complete reinstall.
Overkill. :wink:
hairy_Palms
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairy_Palms »

I can say that I did the same thing, on the same hardware, using ubuntu and got the wobbly windows and cube thing as expected... this not so much. But, I have a bigger problem that I need to resolve. So, I will leave this one till later.
well, the answer to that ones simple, Ubuntu uses Vanilla Compiz which is far more stable and resource friendly, whereas mint uses Beryl which is a buggy POS that crashes every 5 seconds.
why do you think you have to specify a fallback wm in beryl?
Husse

Post by Husse »

DFergATL if you have followed my advice voiced repeatedly in the forum to put home on it's own partition you have to remove the config files for Beryl from your home folder.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Used Installer

Post by scorp123 »

DFergATL wrote: I used the installer that came with the Mint distro and followed it. So, if it isn't setup to do this.......
No installer on this planet can replace human intelligence :wink:

And on UNIX-like operating systems (and Linux happens to be one of those) *you* are supposed to know what you do and not the OS or its installer.
Husse

Post by Husse »

DFergATL
No it's just scorp123's way of expressing himself.
What he means and writes is that it is you that are in control - so as you climb the learning curve you get better and better as a Linux user
Unfortunately no installer I have seen does suggest you put /home on a separate partition, which is a really good thing to have
In case the worst happens and things get all screwed up you just install and all your personal data is intact (you may have to remove some or all the config files)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Used Installer

Post by scorp123 »

DFergATL wrote: Ah, I get it. No one is allowed to learn.
On the contrary. You better be motivated to learn. Because if you aren't then Linux really isn't the right OS for you.

BTW, was I writing Chinese or how the f*** were you able to understand the opposite of what I tried to tell you? :roll:
DFergATL wrote: If you don't already know Linux then aparently, from your attitude, you should even bother tying it out.
No. If you don't know it then you better either ask before you do something potentially stupid or you better have Google ready or you better be prepared to read some infos, How-To's or other instructions. You are in control. You tell the OS what to do and not the other way round. So *you* have to know stuff ... not the OS.
DFergATL wrote: Not every one knows everything when they first start out.
Like I was saying anything of the opposite?? :roll:
DFergATL wrote: There is this little thing called a learning curve. I am sure you would probably be lost trying to assemble a 35mm projector without having spent time learning them.
What?? Your 35mm projectors are not setup to automatically disassemble and reassemble themselves ... ? .... :wink:

Applying your own logic from that posting above where you complained about the installer not being setup to do certain things --- then your 35mm projectors should assemble or disassemble themselves auto-magically ... but obviously no matter how good a 35mm projector is -- at one point you'll need the knowledge for disassembling and assembling them again. You have to know what you do ... I don't suppose you can disassemble a 35mm projector and then expect that it will re-assemble itself auto-magically again, right? Same with OS'es and their installers: You have to know what you do.

Return to “Other topics”