New Hardware Section, RAM.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

New Hardware Section, RAM.

Post by grimdestripador »

I would like to create a section of the Hardware forums that would include expected ram configuration test reports. In my microprocessor design class, I'm learning about piplined microprocessor design and why my Q6600 4-4-4-12 clock latencies are beginning to make more since than ever. I feel like I could offer and suggest solutions for people with questions on how to configure their BIOS to SAFELY use aggressive timings, (ie turn off spread spectrum). This would be tied to linux test methods using memtest86 and such, probably refereed through the community wiki. If I see a section under hardware test reports for RAM, I will frequent the section often. I aspire to contribute uniquely to linux mint, and would be honored if I could oversee a section of the forum.

Thanks for consideration
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: New Hardware Section, RAM.

Post by remoulder »

grimdestripador wrote:I feel like I could offer and suggest solutions for people with questions on how to configure their BIOS to SAFELY use aggressive timings
I commend you on your zeal and dedication to this area, but OTOH I don't see a great deal of demand for this in the forums. I guess Clem has the call on this but what do others think?
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New Hardware Section, RAM.

Post by grimdestripador »

I'm still motivated and continue to pursue this aspect of the forums section. We need to be able to comparably asses the performance with test reports. Data should be collected using a standard approach to compare one LM version from another. Keeping some states for boot time like time delay between grub and idle CPU, on an array of common configurations of popular processors, would allow for perceivable improvement, and denote areas of improvement. I'm aware that LM a modification of ubuntu's core, but still, we should be able to measure comparable performance of LM Ada to Isabella. I have observed that many users could use better partitioning schemes. I'm imagining a system were a set of linux available tools would be used to give test reports of best hard drive to use for heavy swapping/Booting small files. We need a checklist of suggestions for users to maximize their performance.

Suggestions for test report script
Memory: A baseline of hardware throughput
Harddrive: A baseline of HD throughput different block sizes
Time From from grub load to login sound
Time From from grub load to firefox

Since the time date last accessed is available on a file, we can use this on the boot splash to indicate boot initialization.
Adequate memory performance could be modeled using a read/write bad-blocks check of 16 meg ram-disk.
Harddisk Performance is generally dependent on physical constraints, thus to model the OS. The best way to hardisk performance LM directly would be to butterfly read system boot files like /Boot and log files.

*Edit to mention that this is my bi-millennial post (500)

Return to “Hardware Support”