Yamaha OPL3SA2

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Yamaha OPL3SA2

Post by hugh »

This may seem a strange request, but can anybody tell me where the sound config files are in Mint.

I have perfect sound in Cassandra on my Toughbook CF-71 laptop, using a Yamaha OPL3SA2 soundcard (this is both Alsa and OSS working fine).

That's good, how it should be :D , but I also have PCLinux installed and can't get the sound to work. I have run alsaconf several times and at last the card has been detected and set up, but some of the io or dma settings are wrong as I don't get a peep out of the damn thing, sometimes a barely audible click on startup.

PCLOS keeps the io, dma and irq settings in /etc/modprobe.d/sound but where does Mint have the settings saved?
I think all I should have to do is duplicate the Mint setup to get PCLinux sound.

I'll settle for either Alsa or OSS but both would be lovely.

On the positive side for you lot, no sound is keeping me away from PCLOS and getting me more and more into Mint :lol: :lol:

Cheers,

Hugh
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

At least the alsa config files are in your home directory .asoundrc and another one .asoundrc.asoundconf
hugh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hugh »

Thanks very much for trying to help, unfortunately these files are not on my system at all (I've done a search of both /home and / with 'Show Hidden Files' enabled).

I've been to the Ububtu forums and looked, the following was recommended:-

Code: Select all

sudo cat /proc/asound/cards
Which gave the output in Cassandra as

0 [OPL3SA23       ]: OPL3SA2 - Yamaha OPL3-SA23
                      Yamaha OPL3-SA23 at 0x100, irq 5, dma 0
Going back into PCLOS the output was pretty much the same

0 [OPL3SA23       ]: OPL3SA2 - Yamaha OPL3-SA23
                      Yamaha OPL3-SA23 at 0x100, irq 5, dma 1/0
so I now know the card is detected and io, irq and dma are set correctly.

sudo aplay -l
gives

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: OPL3SA23 [Yamaha OPL3-SA23], device 0: CS4231 [Yamaha OPL3-SA23]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
in Cassandra

and

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: OPL3SA23 [Yamaha OPL3-SA23], device 0: CS4231 [Yamaha OPL3-SA23]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
in PCLinux

Strange though, when I boot into PCLOS in verbose, it shows opl3sa2 about 6 times when starting Alsa - I wonder if all my mucking around and running alsaconf so many times has got the soundcard loaded 6 times and they are fighting each other for the same resources ??

There is a file somewhere that should show what modules are loaded on the system at startup, if I can find that then maybe I can edit out all the extra opl3sa2 instances.
I feel I should be going back to the PCLOS forums for more help as it's not a Mint problem, but if anyone here knows offhand what file I'm talking about ... this is a much more friendly place to be you know.

Cheers,

Hugh

Return to “Hardware Support”