(solved) Trouble getting Scribus to run...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beansandjeans

(solved) Trouble getting Scribus to run...

Post by beansandjeans »

I just installed Scribus, but it won't run. I'm not sure, but I think it's maybe a Fluxbox issue.

I've installed it twice now - first with Mintinstall, then uninstalled it and tried with Synaptic. Both with the same results. It stays "Changes applied." It says "successfully applied all changes. You can close the window now."

But then when I click to show the "details" of how the installation went, I notice that it says "debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome"

So I'm thinking maybe this is the problem...

Anyhow, Scribus shows up in my system menu under "graphics," but when I click to run it nothing happens :-( I can't see any processes from Scribus on either of my task managers either. And the hard drive doesn't make the sound it usually makes when a program starts up, so I'm pretty sure nothing's running. I've tried re-starting (just in case that might be needed) but still the same.

So does anybody know what I would need to do to get Scribus to actually run? Do any of you have Scribus running on Fluxbox? Does it need Gnome or some substitute as a "frontend"?...

I'm pretty much still a newbie - both with Fluxbox in particular and with Mint and Linux in general. Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Trouble getting Scribus to run...

Post by shane »

The problem almost surely lies in the menu entry that is generated for Fluxbox. Please post the contents of the file ~/.mint-fm2/submenus/Graphics.

[edit] I went ahead and installed it myself... change the line

Code: Select all

[exec] (Scribus (Stable)) {scribus} <> #/usr/share/applications/scribus.desktop
to

Code: Select all

[exec] (Scribus) {scribus} <> #/usr/share/applications/scribus.desktop
Those brackets confuse Fluxbox.
beansandjeans

Working now :-)

Post by beansandjeans »

Hi Shane,

Thanks for finding that fix! It's running just fine now :-)

I was thinking it was something complicated, but it turned out to be something real simple. Guess it's often that way!

Should I contact Scribus about that? Wonder if they'd change the naming so it installs better on Fluxbox....Or maybe that sorta thing is fairly common...
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: (solved) Trouble getting Scribus to run...

Post by shane »

No need to report it. It is more a Fluxbox issue. In Fluxbox, normally you have to make the menu by hand... the Mint FB edition tries to make one for you, but as you see it is not perfect. If starting something from the menu does not work, check out the menu files first.

Return to “Software & Applications”