Linux Mint 8 Xfce released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 8 Xfce released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 8 “Helena” Xfce Community Edition. Quick steps: Download the ISO or the torrent. While it’s downloading look at the overview of the new features in Linux Mint 8 Xfce, read the User Guide and make sure to quickly go through the known issues. After the ISO is [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1340

Clem
Robin

Re: Linux Mint 8 Xfce released!

Post by Robin »

Yaaaaay! I have been testing the release candidate for about 2 weeks now and it's awesome! Light, fast, intuitive, easy, powerful! I even wrote a review here. Thank you for an absolutely stunning release with superb implementation of Xfce with all the Minty freshness and beauty of the standard edition - only lighter!

Still reeling,
Robin
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

As, most people know ... I am an Xfce fanatic.

This makes me very . . . very ... well, happy. :P

Of course, the MInt Devs/Team has done a fabulous job with this edition.
Azorg

Post by Azorg »

crash @ boot
tested varius mint version cant boot, BSOD

ubuntu 9.10 run ok

laptod sony vgn-sr29vn
please help
Rob Brill

Post by Rob Brill »

Hi Azorg,

Sorry and no offence
I do not like to watch bad fiction movies
If Ubuntu works for you, so Linux Mint also will work
If you do not know how to make good Linux Mint CDs
for installing them, i've got a a suggestion for you
Buy them from here:

http://www.osdisc.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi/ ... istrowatch

http://www.linuxcd.org/?ref=distrowatch

Cheers
:o :? :oops:
Roberto
aljoriz

Post by aljoriz »

Almost everything works (well except for my old a4tech webcam that you have to configure for skype using v4tlcl something but works now).

Fantastic running it now on my desktop. I can't wait for mint9 xfce.. will use that on my asus 1005ha.
pevsner

Post by pevsner »

First time I have tried Mint and I really impressed with this Xfce version.

The only problem I have had is my usb wifi (D-Link Corp. WL54) wasn't detected. I had to get it running with ndiswrapper , I'd prefer to use the zd1211rw linux one. Have hunted for a way to install/activate without luck so far.
greguti

Post by greguti »

hi all,

typing from my brand new Asus Eee PC 1005PE with a fresh install of Linux Mint XFCE edition. It really rocks!

I must say I'm really impressed with the overall design of the operating system. Sounds like a very stable and easy to use distribution.

I tried Moblin and Ubuntu 9.10 on this computer, but Gnome was a bit slow on some tasks with this hardware, and I didn't have time and motivation to tweak the system (Moblin was cool but really restrictive in some aeras yet). XFCE really works smoothly and damn, what a great sensation to be allowed to play my music in mp3 and check Youtube without having to install more stuff just after the initial boot.

Regards!

Greg
pretender

Post by pretender »

aljoriz wrote:Almost everything works (well except for my old a4tech webcam that you have to configure for skype using v4tlcl something but works now).

Fantastic running it now on my desktop. I can't wait for mint9 xfce.. will use that on my asus 1005ha.
everybody are so glad...but I can't ad to panel firefox,pidgin along with their corespondig icons!no offence,but it's firs time Iuse mint 8 xfce.please help me!thanks in advance :roll:
Robin

Post by Robin »

pretender wrote: everybody are so glad...but I can't ad to panel firefox,pidgin along with their corespondig icons!no offence,but it's firs time Iuse mint 8 xfce.please help me!thanks in advance :roll:
Right-click on the panel, select Add New Items, choose Launcher (to "launch" or start Firefox or whatever app you are adding to the panel) and choose Firefox from the list of applications. You can choose any icon by clicking on the default one that appears in Properties when you choose an application, and select from icons that appear. In fact you can expand that array of icons to choose from by selecting "all icons" at the top of that window.

Loving Xfce,
Robin
pretender

Post by pretender »

Lots of thanks,@Robin,it works !!unbelievable how ignorant am I (or stupid !)
Good job,Robin.may God bless you!
Cam42

Post by Cam42 »

Anyway I could install xfce from an existing Helena setup?
Or is it the same way as Ubuntu?

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ...
What's the package name for xfce?
Robin

Post by Robin »

I was about to suggest

sudo apt-get install xfce4
when I decided to check my own installation and guess what - My Linux Mint 8 Xfce CE does not include that metapackage! That's the one you want if you want to try Xfce on your Gnome Mint, I think.

It's interesting that I have abuncha Xfce4 stuff, but not that metapackage. I do have one called xfce4-default-settings, however, which lists several dependencies from Xfce4.

So you might try

sudo apt-get install xfcemint-default-settings
to end up with an Xfce CE-like desktop. But I honestly do not know. I do know that the first suggestion will give you an alternate Xfce4 desktop environment.

Glad I checked first,
Robin
jakiejake

Post by jakiejake »

Should I switch from Gnome to Xfce?
What's The Difference?
Robin

Post by Robin »

jakiejake wrote:Should I switch from Gnome to Xfce?
What's The Difference?
The best way to find out how they are different is to try both versions. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages. Both are simple enough even for me, but different enough for me to have finally chosen a favorite (after a year!). I find Xfce to be quite a bit faster on my old low-resource Dell than Gnome is, yet both run adequately. With the changes of Gnome-3 on the horizon, I think Xfce is going to attract a lot of new users soon.

Always learning,
Robin
tivasyk

Upgrade instructions Linux Mint 7 Xfce → Linux Mint 8 Xfce

Post by tivasyk »

hi everybody. congratulations on the linux mint 8 xfce release — have been waiting for it to happen since ubuntu 9.10 announce on october 29th (pun intended).

nontheless, i love xfce flavour of the mint distro and have been keeping it on my aspire one since linux mint 6, and now it's time to upgrade linux mint 7 xfce… but have i missed the upgrade instructions somehow? is installing from iso the only option left? i'd prefer a seamless upgrade via mint upgrade manager.
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Tivasyk: Check out the tutorial at the community-site (community.linuxmint.com) - it'll answer your question potently and elaborately. (In a nutshell: No, but the fresh-reinstall-method is the only one recommended.)
tivasyk

Post by tivasyk »

Silent Warrior wrote:Tivasyk: Check out the tutorial at the community-site (community.linuxmint.com) - it'll answer your question potently and elaborately. (In a nutshell: No, but the fresh-reinstall-method is the only one recommended.)
thanx =/ will be upgrading tonight than...
Digital_Resistance

Post by Digital_Resistance »

Has Chestnut Dialer (dial-up GUI) been retained in this release?
tivasyk

Post by tivasyk »

Digital_Resistance wrote:Has Chestnut Dialer (dial-up GUI) been retained in this release?
yes, it's there.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”