Auto Conky for Mint

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RedWagon

Auto Conky for Mint

Post by RedWagon »

I was poking around the community site last night and saw Mint Conky at the top of the list of all the ideas. This is something I can do, so I decided to start messing with an auto-configure script for conky. There are a few things I'd like some suggestions on:
Figuring out how many CPU cores a computer has (even hyperthreaded ones)
Finding all mounted drives. Mount gives too much info, I was thinking of getting the devices from fdisk -l and then using that to filter out the list in mount but I haven't really messed around with it yet.

I already got the networking stuff figured out:

Code: Select all

ifconfig | grep -v Loopback | grep -v 00-00-00-00 | grep 'Link encap' | awk '{print $1}'
will show me what network cards are installed and

iwconfig 2> /dev/null | grep IEEE | awk '{print $1}'
will let me know which cards are wireless.

Once I can properly detect everything writing the program should be fairly easy. I plan on having a couple themes people can choose from and maybe add some switches to allow users to manually turn chunks on or off.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: Auto Conky for Mint

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This will be a great addition to Mint 9 if you can finish it. Many more people would use Conky if it were easier to configure. I've been in Linux for well over a year and only very recently did I feel competent enough to tackle a full Conky install.

Keep up the good work and let us know if you need testers of coding help (I can't code but I'm a whale of a good tester)

On the questions you posted, have you checked into hardinfo (System Profiler) to get the information on CPU cores? Or maybe System Monitor?
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

In addition to an autoscript, we might want to consider a GUI that will generate custom conky scripts because of the extra flexibility that would provide. Perhaps something similar to https://sourceforge.net/projects/conkygui/.

Perhaps a little less technical than what's showed in that picture. Just an idea.
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

Try running these and see if they get the right results:

Number of processor cores:

grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l
Mounted hard drives:

mount -l | grep /dev/[m,h,s]d | awk '{print $3}'
I'm thinking I'll need to so something to filter out cdroms.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

RedWagon,

Tried both commands.

Command 1.

grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l
On my desktop running an Intel Core 2 Quad, command returns - 4
On Laptop running Core 2 Duo, command returns - 2
On netbook running hyperthreading Intel Atom N270, command returns - 2

Command 2.

mount -l | grep /dev/[m,h,s]d | awk '{print $3}'
On desktop, command returns - /,/home, /media/Data. This is correct for the system.
On laptop, command returns - /, /home. Correct
On netbook, command returns - /, /home. Correct.

Desktop running Mint 8 Main x64
Laptop running Mint 8 Main x32
Netbook running Mint 8 XFCE
vincent

Post by vincent »

vincent@Vincent-laptop ~ $ grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l
vincent@Vincent-laptop ~ $ mount -l | grep /dev/[m,h,s]d | awk '{print $3}'
/
/boot
/home
The info provided by those commands are all correct. (LG R580 w/ Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1 GHz; my Linux partitions include /, /boot, /home, and /swap.)
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

eh, you don't want boot showing up in conky. I'll grep that out of there.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”