Opera Web Browser...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Opera Web Browser...

Post by craig10x »

Hi: I was curious if anyone has tried the Opera web browser on Linux Mint and what you think of it as compared to Firefox?
Does it have similar features? Is it as fast (or faster?) Any problems playing flash videos and other graphics?
How are the Fonts and Font Rendering with it? Is it compatible with all web sites?

Any feedback will be most appreciated....i was thinking about trying it...but i wanted to get an idea if it was worthwhile to check it out :wink:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Opera Web Browser...

Post by vincent »

My advice for you is to try out Firefox for a few weeks, try out Opera for a few weeks, then make your own judgment. The browser wars will never end and there will never be a clear consensus on which browser is the most stable/fast/featureful/compatible/cool/whatever. If you're really inclined, you could just do a Google search on something like "firefox vs opera on linux", but the fact is that you'll hardly be able to find any non-biased answers. Remember, one of the great things about Linux is freedom of choice. Only you can determine whether it was worthwhile to have checked something out, but I encourage you to do so because it's what makes computing fun. :D

If you really want my opinion though, I'm a fan of Chromium (open-source upstream version of Google Chrome). It's powered by the Webkit rendering engine and Google's in-house V8 javascript engine, so if there's one thing going for it, it's pure speed, which I think is pure awesomeness. Of course, Chromium's (and Opera's) available extensions aren't quite comparable to Firefox's huge repository of addons, but I don't need the vast majority of them, and addons tend to make your browser a bit sluggish, if you install a whole slew of unnecessary ones.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I find that I like Opera allot but I always end up going back to Firefox as I miss all my add-ons :wink: I find that opera has the edge on speed compared to firefox however I find that some websites just plain refuse to render correctly however it's not like I get this problem all the time it might happen like once a week on a random backwater website from digg or reddit. I've never had a problem with flash content in Opera
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Opera is very nice, has some great features, and was first in many innovations now standard in most browsers (tabbed browsing for one). I usually have it installed, switch between it, firefox, and Seamonkey, depending on what i'm doing, and and what I need. All are good. I've even worked out how to get most of the Firefox Greasemonkey scripts to work with Opera, so it's made it a lot more flexible for me. :)

Give it a try, see how you like it, and make a decision. It's good. You may prefer it, you may not. Only one way to find out. :)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Ironically, I like almost every other browser available better than Firefox! :cry: But...I use Firefox! :shock:

Why? I don't really even know...I think it is the fact that all the themes and add ons work and there is just not any other browser that gives me the same configuration I like. It is a combination of many small factors. In the end I always go back to that old slow dog that we call the Firefox.

I guess it is not that bad as far as browsers go. Updates are iffy, sometimes the newest fox is badly bug-ridden. Sometimes it is an improvement. It is a bit on the slow side, both to open and in operation...But on today's machines it is tolerable. Not like to old days where you could go make a cup of coffee while waiting on the browser to open...It is a resource hog, and most all other browsers are infinitely lighter and faster...Except IE which is an abomination...

Hey try Opera! I like it, it is a great browser. I just like to put my browser buttons on the top toolbar to save space and most other browsers will not let me do this. Firefox does. So...Firefox stays...For now... :?
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks guys for all the excellent feedback :)
I'm going to install and give it a try to see how i like it....Years ago i use to use both Internet Explorer as well as Netscape on my windows system...On Mac i used both Safari and Camino...
so why not have two browsers on linux?
I'll see how it compares for me to Firefox...should certainly be an interesting experiment :mrgreen:

I just hope it is compatible with most web sites :roll:
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

edit: stupid double post. :P
Last edited by Midnighter on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Opera is probably the most web-standards compliant browser around, is one of it's features. Anything that doesn't work with it, well, it's not complying with standards. But that can usually be worked around anyway. :)

Also, I currently have Firefox, Opera, Seamonkey, Chromium, and Epiphany installed, so yeah, I don't think 2 browsers will be a prob for you. :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks mate (as you aussies would say) :lol:
That's great to hear (about the compatibility)....should be fun to explore....
Yeah i guess two isn't too many as compared to all you have...he he :wink:
StanTheMan

Post by StanTheMan »

I use Seamonkey from the Mint Software Manager.
It has some user-friendly features that are not in Opera or Firefox.
And it is an Internet suite including an excellent HTML editor.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

StanTheMan wrote:I use Seamonkey from the Mint Software Manager.
It has some user-friendly features that are not in Opera or Firefox.
And it is an Internet suite including an excellent HTML editor.

Yes, I am one of the few who missed when the Mozilla Suite got broken down. Firefox was meant to be this light, swift thing, and it was. In the beginning. Now we have something of similar size (mostly) to the suite, with people adding heaps of plugings that bloat it in no time.

The Suite had Browser (Navigator), Email (Mail), HTML Editor (Compozer), and Chat Client (ICQ client originally, now and IRC client). All that bundled together, and I still find the damn think faster than either Thunderbird or Firefox. Now, to get similar functionality with the seperate components, I needs to install Firefox, Thunderbird, Kompozer, and still be missing the chat client. And this makes it several times larger, and not as smoothly integrated. I prefer Seamonkey, it's just that I can't get some of the extension i want to work with it.

Seamonkey (Then the Mozilla Suite) and Opera were always my 2 faves. Opera was blazingly fast, and Mozilla Suite had so much .... stuff. :)

edit: @StanTheMan : I ended up grabbing the newer version from the Mozilla site. Just extracted it to my Home, and created shortcut/link to the Seamonkey script inside the folder. Works fine, and newer stuff, based closer on Firefox engine, so more support with extensions, etc, plus zippier. :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

You are quite right...Opera is blazingly fast...i have been using it for several hours now and it's even faster then firefox...Also, it has really nice rendering of web pages and fonts...very "windows like" or "mac like"...in many cases, seemed even nicer then firefox on linux.... very impressive...There was two sites that i had a bit of a problem with as i got the message that the browser was incompatable...but i was able to get into both of them...one had a few issues using the chat program in it...the other one had no problem at all...Otherwise, all sites i normally go to work fine, including banking sites...

So it is VERY usable...and EXTREMELY fast...

I don't see any way to turn off 3rd part cookies like in firefox...seems to be either all or nothing (so i selected all) unless someone knows something i dont?

Also, i don't see any auto complete feature in it? Am i missing that too? But it has no problem saving passwords just like firefox...

Page graphics render beautifully! And Flash Videos are excellent....Streaming videos (like yahoo movie trailers and you tube) are excellent quality for sure...
I think i will be using Opera quite a lot! :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I used Opera when it was the only choice against Netscape or other (IE maybe)
--and like it a lot

I have since used Firefox in preference to Netscape (which is still available), but fading faster than a snowflake on a hot day..
--I have also since changed my mind about browser integrated email; originally I found it convenient, but have essentially decided I would rather not have my browser know about any emails I am using
--Opera does have an integrated email, like Netscape had, however I just don't use it

Now about the latest Opera, some features I can live without, even if many seek them
  • Speed dial
    --a personal homepage if you like with the favored website selections..
--that's about it; it is as fast as Firefox, it also starts up quicker, Firefox always seems slow to load, and Opera's edit site preferences and block content features are just as effective as no-script,adblock plus, customize google (to prevent click-tracking)and other Firefox extensions, that are available; although not as automatic or perhaps as convenient
  • Opera Turbo mode may also help with slower or dialup connections
--the integrated web server in Opera could also be a plus, if you do any web page design..

I guess the only thing holding Opera back is its lack of addons/extensions, despite the fact that this is only a popularity contest, with many extensions, many of which are pointless/worthless
--I only ever use 3 Firefox extensions, and don't want to clutter up the browser with more
  • Noscript
  • adblock plus
  • customize google
    --I also set the hyperlink colors clicked, unclicked to be the same (helps prevent click tracking..
--That's it, that's all I do to the browser (Firefox..)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

craig10x wrote:Also, i don't see any auto complete feature in it? Am i missing that too? But it has no problem saving passwords just like firefox...
Just go through the advanced settings under Tools>Preferences>advanced
--they are all there server name completion, cookie management
Last edited by DrHu on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

craig10x wrote:You are quite right...Opera is blazingly fast...i have been using it for several hours now and it's even faster then firefox...Also, it has really nice rendering of web pages and fonts...very "windows like" or "mac like"...in many cases, seemed even nicer then firefox on linux.... very impressive...There was two sites that i had a bit of a problem with as i got the message that the browser was incompatable...but i was able to get into both of them...one had a few issues using the chat program in it...the other one had no problem at all...Otherwise, all sites i normally go to work fine, including banking sites...

So it is VERY usable...and EXTREMELY fast...

I don't see any way to turn off 3rd part cookies like in firefox...seems to be either all or nothing (so i selected all) unless someone knows something i dont?

Also, i don't see any auto complete feature in it? Am i missing that too? But it has no problem saving passwords just like firefox...

Page graphics render beautifully! And Flash Videos are excellent....Streaming videos (like yahoo movie trailers and you tube) are excellent quality for sure...
I think i will be using Opera quite a lot! :)

"I don't see any way to turn off 3rd part cookies like in firefox...seems to be either all or nothing (so i selected all) unless someone knows something i dont?"
Tools>Preferences>Advanced>Cookies>Accept cookies only from the sites I visit. :)

Have a browse thru the Tools>Preferences section, plenty to change to suit you mate. :)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Thanks mate...i found them...I must say i am very impressed with Opera overall...I love it's speed, page rendering, fonts they use, which are outstanding...much nicer then firefox i think...and it is really great with java, flash, streaming video, etc...Only thing is i wish it were compatible with all websites like IE and Firefox but what i plan to do is use Opera as my main browser now, and the few sites that are incompatible i will use firefox for those....so far i have only experienced two such sites...I do use a brokerage (Optionshouse) which unfortunately only works with IE and Firefox, so for them, i'll get into it using Firefox....other then that... I think it is going to be Opera all the way... :)
zombie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by zombie »

craig10x wrote: I don't see any way to turn off 3rd part cookies like in firefox...seems to be either all or nothing (so i selected all) unless someone knows something i dont?
You can block site specific cookies by right-clicking on the page. Then: Edit Site Preferences... > Cookies
SelahJaden

Post by SelahJaden »

i totally agree with vincent
cebalrai

Post by cebalrai »

vincent wrote:My advice for you is to try out Firefox for a few weeks, try out Opera for a few weeks, then make your own judgment. The browser wars will never end and there will never be a clear consensus on which browser is the most stable/fast/featureful/compatible/cool/whatever. If you're really inclined, you could just do a Google search on something like "firefox vs opera on linux", but the fact is that you'll hardly be able to find any non-biased answers. Remember, one of the great things about Linux is freedom of choice. Only you can determine whether it was worthwhile to have checked something out, but I encourage you to do so because it's what makes computing fun. :D

If you really want my opinion though, I'm a fan of Chromium (open-source upstream version of Google Chrome). It's powered by the Webkit rendering engine and Google's in-house V8 javascript engine, so if there's one thing going for it, it's pure speed, which I think is pure awesomeness. Of course, Chromium's (and Opera's) available extensions aren't quite comparable to Firefox's huge repository of addons, but I don't need the vast majority of them, and addons tend to make your browser a bit sluggish, if you install a whole slew of unnecessary ones.
Early reviews are saying that Firefox 3.6 much faster than 3.5 8)
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

I was just wondering.....The version we have in Linux Mint is the current 10.10 version of course...When the new 10.50 version is released for Linux (at the moment only the windows version is available for that) will we automatically get it on Mint through the Updates? Or would it be available in the Software Manager or the Package Manager?
And what's the best way to change? By doing an upgrade or delete the old version and install the new one?

By the way..i am really enjoying using Opera...i think it's becoming my primary browser :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”