Problems with google chrome browser

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mark9950
Level 2
Level 2

Problems with google chrome browser

Post by mark9950 »

I dont know if this is an issue with the google chrome browser or mint,but google chrome just constantly stops responding on this distro.When I click the google browser it opens shows no home page and stops responding.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
revdjenk

Re: Problems with google chrome browser

Post by revdjenk »

mark9950,

Great to have you in Mint!

"dont know if this is an issue with the google chrome browser or mint" Oh, it could be both, since Chrome is still not in Mint's repository, and the Linux version of Chrome (as far as I know) is the step-child in development to the Windows and Apple versions.

To further muddy the waters, I have been trying SRWare's version of Chrome, called Iron, which, they claim, strips out the "phone home" parts of Chrome. It still is funky (sometimes has a display problem with pages with flash content, for example). Often multiple refreshes will get past the advert or whatever, and the page will eventually show. Then it may, or may not be ok at the next site's flash content.

God Bless
Doug
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

This seems to be a problem only with the LXDE version of Mint. Chrome (and Chromium) runs fine in Gnome and XFCE, haven't tried KDE or Fluxbox, but also haven't heard any complaints.

I will pass this to the LXDE maintainer. It may be a while before he gets to it, at the moment he is developing Mint 9 LXDE and Mint 9 Fluxbox as well as an OS of his own called Peppermint.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Chrome runs fine in the early builds of Mint 9 LXDE, but is consistently problematic in Mint 8 LXDE. I've tried tracking the issue but have been unsuccessful. Due to the development of Mint 9 starting, I'm probably going to have a lot less time to spend tracking bugs for non-default applications. My best advice is to make do with Firefox for another few weeks and install Chrome in Mint 9 when it's available.
mark9950
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mark9950 »

Ok,than its not the chrome browser,its no biggie to me,I was just curious about it because chrome does work on lubuntu.Lubuntu is on my laptop and lxde mint is on my desktop with the nvidia drivers.Lxde mint nvidia drivers were easy to install.Lubuntu had the nouveau driver which are no good for nvidia hardware.

Return to “Software & Applications”