Creative, Amarok and support

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Can you elaborate on this? I have an ipod and it works well with Amarok...

Clem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

clem wrote:Can you elaborate on this? I have an ipod and it works well with Amarok...

Clem
How do you get Amarok to work with an Ipod? My son has one and it won't play anything.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

penquin wrote:antiquexray did you configure amarok. If not goto settings then down to configure amarok. click on media devices then add devices. it then will ask about plugin click on arrow scroll down to apple ipod and answer all the questions.
Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I have not. Unfortunately, my sound has quit working since I posted this question (it works just fine on the livecd). Unless I can figure out what went wrong, I'll have to reinstall Cassandra.

In any event, after Cassandra finds her voice again, I'll take a look at your suggestion and let you know.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Looks like there is some talk about this on the Ubuntu form as well. Some people report reboots (more than one) will sometimes get the sound working. See the thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=no+sound
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

newW2 wrote:Looks like there is some talk about this on the Ubuntu form as well. Some people report reboots (more than one) will sometimes get the sound working. See the thread here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... t=no+sound
Thanks newW2, I'll look into it, however, reboots have done nothing so far.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I had this problem when first using Ubuntu. It took a while to find what I used for a fix it is here:

http://pykeylogger.sourceforge.net/wiki ... d_problems

A snipet from this site ...
Sound problems
Setting up Sound daemons (and XMMS, VLC, MPlayer, etc.)

Only one application can use the soundcard at a time in linux. To solve this problem, there are sound daemons that bind to the card, and then allow other applications to bind to them and output sound data, thus providing for 'software sound mixing'. These daemons are ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) and ESD (eSound). By default, Ubuntu seems to be using ESD.

But sometimes, sound would just go away, or an application such as XMMS would throw an error saying something else is using the soundcard. So, what gives? Turns out, the problem is that some applications try to use the sound device directly (or in other words, using the Linux OSS driver), ignoring the running sound daemon. They steal the soundcard, and now nobody else can use it. To solve this problem, you want to configure your various media players to use the sound daemon rather than use the sound device directly.
It worked back when ... good luck.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

penquin wrote:antiquexray did you configure amarok. If not goto settings then down to configure amarok. click on media devices then add devices. it then will ask about plugin click on arrow scroll down to apple ipod and answer all the questions.
OK, I've got Cassandra reloaded and audio works. I've done as you said with the config of Amarok. It now recognizes the ipod, I can see his files, but I can't play any music. Any further suggestions (I'm sure I'm missing something)?
banana
Level 1
Level 1

"but I can't play any music"

Post by banana »

I noted the same problem with Amarok. ipod mounted, music recognised, but unable to play.
seemed to resolve if I mounted the ipod (i.e. plugged ipod into USB2) AFTER Amarok was running.

if i plugged into usb 1 it didn't work (unable to mount)
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

And it is set up in the mintconfig multimedia tab as well?
banana
Level 1
Level 1

mintconfig

Post by banana »

no. I can't see it in there. but it works. :D
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I am able to connect to my zen vision m with gnomad2 and amarok. I don't think I did anything special.

1. Make sure libmtp5 and libnjb5 are installed via synaptic. (I'm pretty sure libnjb was installed by default, but I can't remember if libmtp was installed.)

2. Install gnomad2. Connect your device and launch gnomad2. (To disconnect, just close gnomad2 and wait for your device to finish "syncing". Then you can unplug it.)

or

2. Configure amarok. Launch amarok and do the following:
a. Click settings>configure amarok>media devices>add device.
b. From the drop-down menu at the top of the next screen ("select plugin to use..."), choose "mtp device" (it should be the last option). Choose a name for the device such as Creative_Player.
c. Click "apply" and "ok".
d. Connect your device. (You may have to relaunch amarok; I don't remember.)
e. Click "devices" (at the bottom of the left sidebar), and then click "connect" (near the top of the next screen). The contents of your device should now be displayed (after Amarok finishes reading the contents).
f. When you are finished, you will need to click "disconnect" before unplugging the device.

or you may want to install gnomad2 and amarok.

NOTES
1. I have added mp3 files to the zen using amarok (if you need to know how, just ask), but I have not used amarok to delete files.
2. Amarok seems to be missing a plug-in that plays the contents from your device.
3. I like gnomad2's interface better than amarok's.
4. I usually connect my device before launching amarok or gnomad2.
5. If you have an older creative player, such as the zen jukebox, you don't need libtmp, only libnjb.

john

P.S. I almost forgot, sometimes, depending on how libmtp and libnjb are packaged, you have to launch gnomad2 or amarok as root in order to connect to the device. But you do NOT have to do this in mint.

Return to “Software & Applications”