How to Repair or Upgrade install of Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
pokemoncatdog

How to Repair or Upgrade install of Ubuntu and Linux Mint

Post by pokemoncatdog »

This works like the windows xp, vista, win 7 “Repair/Upgrade install”.

*BACKUP DATA JUST IN CASE*

To Repair an installation use the live cd of the version you have installed.
To Upgrade an installation use the live cd of the newest version.

Step 1:   load the “live CD”
Step 2:   open the installer
Step 3:    Pick your localization, then go forward.          
Step 4: Pick the same timezone you had on first install.  GO Foruwad.                                       
Step 5: Pick the same keyboard layout, go forward.
Step 6: To do “Repair Install” pick “specify partitions manually (advanced). Go forwad
Step 7: This MUST be the SAME as you have now.

I have 4 Partitions:
Partition one is my home partition.  
Partition two is my Linux Mint boot partition.
Partition 3 is my windows partition, I know this because it is nfts or for some fat16 or fat32.
Partition 4 is my swap.

For me to do “Repair/Uprade Install” I have to click on partition one and then click change.

I change partition one to the SAME file system it has now (Ext4) and SAME Mount point it has now (/home), then ok.   DO NOT  FORMAT!
Then I change partition two to the SAME file system it has now (Ext4) and SAME Mount point it has now (/) then ok.   DO NOT FORMAT!
Then I do not change and DO NOT FORMAT partitions 3 and 4.

NOTE: You need to setup the partitioner the SAME way you did in the first install.  
 DO NOT FORMAT!  DO NOT FORMAT!  DO NOT FORMAT!  DO NOT FORMAT!

Then GO Forward

NOTE:   IF YOU DO NOT SEE THIS GO BACK TO THE PARTITIONER! You clicked format  on something. Again DO NOT FORMAT!

IF You see this just Continue to do “Repair/Uprade install”.

“Do you want to return to the partitioner?
The file system on “/dev/sda2” assigned to / has NOT been marked for formatting. Directories containing system files (/etc, /lib, /usr, /var, …) that already exits under any defined mountpoint will be deleted during the install.
Please ensure that you have backed up any critical data before installing”

Step 8: What is your name?  What name do you want to use to log in? Choose a password to keep your account safe. What is the name of this computer?

All MUST BE THE SAME AS WHEN YOU FIRST INSTALLED!   Then GO Forward.

Step 9: Ready to install (“Repair/Upgrade install”)? Are you?
You are only if swap is the only partition to be formated.  If you see other partitions to be formated, GO back to the  partitioner (step 7).
 If swap is the only partition to be formated, you can click “Install” to do “Repair/Upgrade install”

Restart PC, then install updates and proprietary drivers.

Reinstall software as needed.
NOTE: Most software configurations should NOT have been delete as they are saved in you home folder.

NOW YOU DONE.
Last edited by pokemoncatdog on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Repair install of Ubuntu 9.10 and Linux Mint 8 --how to

Post by Biker »

While this will restore your root system files to their default state, leaving the configuration files alone can still leave you with a system that doesn't function properly. It should be noted that users should be prepared for this to happen and expecting your computer to work flawlessly after this procedure is used should not be expected to work 100% of the time. Especially on a heavily modified system.
Linux User #384279
Gandalf the White

Re: How to Repair or Upgrade install of Ubuntu and Linux Mi

Post by Gandalf the White »

pokemoncatdog wrote:This works like the windows xp, vista, win 7 “Repair/Upgrade install”.

*BACKUP DATA JUST IN CASE*
Which Installation type do I select? I know the middle one is out.

Return to “Tutorials”