[SOLVED] Multi language use in Fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buayadarat
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Multi language use in Fluxbox

Post by buayadarat »

I have installed two different languages and now I want that I can choose on the startup screen which one to use. How can I do that?

I have done that under Xubuntu before, and there I have got that choice without doing anything after installing the second language. I hope this is possible under Mint Fluxbox as well.

Thank you for your help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Multi language use in Fluxbox

Post by shane »

The Fluxbox edition uses Slim as the display manager / login screen. It is very lightweight but it does not provide that many features. To be able to choose the language at login, use GDM as the display manager.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gdm
It should tell you that you can only use one display manager and ask you to choose. Select GDM. Note that it might be a decent sized download depending on what else you have installed.
buayadarat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by buayadarat »

Thank you, install was easy and quick. Now I can choose German at login, but everything stays in English... :(
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

what is the output when you run

echo $LANG
You have to regenerate the Fluxbox menu to get a German translated one (where translations are available). That's just the way Fluxbox is... the menu is stored in more or less static files. I am not sure about other applications... It might have something to do with the lxde session... I am not sure. I will have to look it up.
buayadarat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by buayadarat »

The answer is:

en_US.UTF-8
It seems the german files have not really reached their place as I wished. But it's not that important. Thank you.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

This is how I did it.

1. Install GDM and and configure it as the default display manager.
2. Open language tools from the System menu, install the required language packs and select the language as default.
3. Reboot and select the preferred language at login.
4. Toggle menu icons to regenerate the Fluxbox menu.
buayadarat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by buayadarat »

It still stays English. Thanks for your help. For the moment I will leave it as it is.

Return to “Software & Applications”