Partitioning error!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Partitioning error!

Post by nelamvr6 »

Derek5272 wrote:So, after spending the whole day trying to get my wireless drivers installed, I finally got that to work (with help from another user in my other topic), but WPA wasn't showing up in my list. I see from one of the Stickies that there's a way to fix this, but it requires a reboot. So I decided to finally partition my drive and install Mint.

However, when I ran the install program and got to the partitioning, and told it how big to make the partition, it brought up a progress bar that sat at 0% for an extended period of time... 10-15 minutes. It then proceeded to notify me that the partition resize had failed, and just brought up a screen to do a manual partition - Which confuses the hell out of me, being the newbie I am.

I have a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB 7200 RPM SATA hard drive. Currently, it's on a single partition of ~160 GB, on which I have Windows and all my data, and another 8 MB that the partition manager has listed as "Free space."

Is there a way to get the automatic partition to work for me? Or do I have to manually divvy up the existing partition? If so, is there a way to do this without losing any of the data?
Just try re-booting with the live cd, and then double click on the "Install" icon on the desktop, essentially try again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Welcome to Mint, Derek5272.
If you haven't seen this how to it may help.
http://linuxgazette.net/136/lazar.html
It is dual boot for Linux Mint and XP, but should work for Vista as well. Unless you have allot of data it seems curious that partition manager indicates on 8MB free.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

newW2 wrote:Welcome to Mint, Derek5272.
If you haven't seen this how to it may help.
http://linuxgazette.net/136/lazar.html
It is dual boot for Linux Mint and XP, but should work for Vista as well. Unless you have allot of data it seems curious that partition manager indicates on 8MB free.
I believe that is the drive's cache appearing as a separate partition.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Partitioning error!

Post by scorp123 »

Derek5272 wrote: and another 8 MB that the partition manager has listed as "Free space."
this is normal. I have that too.
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Congrats Derek!

Man, I was feeling horrible that you were having such difficulties after I told you it would be so easy!

So, you got all your networking difficulties fixed too?
nelamvr6
Level 4
Level 4

Post by nelamvr6 »

Derek5272 wrote:Linux has officially anally raped my hard drive. I succeeded in removing it from the disk and resizing the Windows partition to the full amount, but then when I tried to boot up the computer, it couldn't load GRUB to manage the dual booting (even though there was only Windows there) and it stopped there. So I had to reinstall Mint in order to boot Windows again.
There's a way to remove GRUB if you want to, you just boot with a windows disc that has fdisk on it and then at the a:> prompt type "fdisk /mbr" .

But don't do that while you're still working on Mint.

All of the problems you desrcrime with Beryl have been addressed in threads here. But you're probably better off getting the basics fixed before you mess with Beryl.

Do you have an nVidia graphics card?

Return to “Beginner Questions”