Mint and I are officially parting ways

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredbird67

Mint and I are officially parting ways

Post by fredbird67 »

For quite a while, I used the main (GNOME) version of Mint until I saw some preview videos of GNOME 3. As someone who liked KDE 3.x a lot until KDE 4 came out, I did not wish to go through anything like that again. Also, the attitudes of some people on GNOME-Look have driven me to Xfce as of late, even though my computer can comfortably run KDE or GNOME.

But a few weeks ago, I ran into a BIG-TIME show-stopping bug. Originally, I had installed the "mint-xfce" metapackage. Everything worked great until I adjusted the screen resolution, since I needed everything to be just a hair larger to be readable. Next thing I knew, I couldn't log in. I assumed it was a problem with both GNOME and Xfce being on there. As soon as I got the chance to do so, I backed up my stuff and installed just the Xfce version. I then adjusted the screen resolution and logged out -- and couldn't log back in AGAIN! This was UNACCEPTABLE -- a big-time FAIL!!!

Therefore, I went to DistroWatch and searched for anything Debian-based with Xfce. I ultimately decided to give PC/OS a try. Not only does it not have this problem, but it did something I've only known one other distro to do (and no, it's not Ubuntu or Mint) -- it properly detected the Broadcom wireless card on my wife's laptop and was perfectly usable out of the box. That thing was a BEAR to try and set up with most other distros I'd ever tried it with -- but PC/OS allowed me to connect wirelessly right out of the starting gate with no muss, no fuss (other than, of course, picking a wireless network). Oh, and as an added plus, it's made right here in the USA, too.

Sorry, Mint Xfce -- PC/OS royally cleaned your clock.

Fred in St. Louis
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint and I are officially parting ways

Post by MALsPa »

Did you bother asking for help for this problem at these forums? [Edit: Looks like you did. Sorry it didn't work out for you.]

And why do people feel the need to make an announcement when they decide to switch distros? Does anyone really care what distro someone else uses?
fredbird67 wrote:Oh, and as an added plus, it's made right here in the USA, too.
Wonderful. As if that matters.
fredbird67 wrote:Sorry, Mint Xfce -- PC/OS royally cleaned your clock.
So PC/OS worked better than Mint on your hardware. Good for you.
Last edited by MALsPa on Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

So should we consider this your OFFICIAL resignation? :roll:

We will sure try to get by...

At least you didn't ask for a refund!

:lol:
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

I hate pity posts...
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Does anyone really care what distro someone else uses?
I sure as heck do! I find myself frequently greatly concerned about which OS other people prefer to use!
mick55

Post by mick55 »

fredbird67 wrote:Originally, I had installed the "mint-xfce" metapackage
Installing the Mint-xfce meta package is not the same as installing the Community Edition
of Mint 8 XFCE. You should really try it out. It's a very fine OS.

It's the best XFCE desktop I have used, and I enjoy it as much
as my KDE 3.51 on Debian Lenny (maybe more).

Give it a shot and then let us know if Mint still sucks :wink:

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/ ... 8-Xfce.iso

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_ce.php
Chasester

Post by Chasester »

MALsPa wrote: And why do people feel the need to make an announcement when they decide to switch distros? Does anyone really care what distro someone else uses?
+1
nico

Post by nico »

maybe?
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

mick55 wrote:Installing the Mint-xfce meta package is not the same as installing the Community Edition
He tried that too.
As soon as I got the chance to do so, I backed up my stuff and installed just the Xfce version.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

randomizer wrote:
mick55 wrote:Installing the Mint-xfce meta package is not the same as installing the Community Edition
He tried that too.
As soon as I got the chance to do so, I backed up my stuff and installed just the Xfce version.
Sorry, somehow I missed that part.

Oh well, I wish him luck with his new distro. At least he didn't give up on Linux. :)
MrD

Post by MrD »

Well, people do like to hear about the alternatives Some of us may drift on aimlessly until we get that push to move on in whatever area of life is concerned.

I almost went to PClinuxOS (KDE) yesterday after finding out the Mint 9rc won't support my printer anymore (3rd party drivers for the Brother MFC-215c from Alien) but then found that although my laptop would work fine on it, my gaming desktop would have a little problem with the X-Fi XtremeMusic pci card in it, but removed might work on the other OS. I still may put my laptop on it to just see what it's like.

You guys got me off Windows in general, but that doesn't mean I'll not move to another flavour of linux that better supports my hardware and needs if things become too problematic. The OP didn't really rant, although he sounded exasperated.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

MrD wrote:Well, people do like to hear about the alternatives Some of us may drift on aimlessly until we get that push to move on in whatever area of life is concerned.

I almost went to PClinuxOS (KDE) yesterday after finding out the Mint 9rc won't support my printer anymore (3rd party drivers for the Brother MFC-215c from Alien) but then found that although my laptop would work fine on it, my gaming desktop would have a little problem with the X-Fi XtremeMusic pci card in it, but removed might work on the other OS. I still may put my laptop on it to just see what it's like.

You guys got me off Windows in general, but that doesn't mean I'll not move to another flavour of linux that better supports my hardware and needs if things become too problematic. The OP didn't really rant, although he sounded exasperated.
A couple things.

First of all, Linux is Linux! If your hardware will work in one distro I can assure you it will work in ALL distros! The catch is it might be bothersome to get it to work...But if you really like a distro and the only turnoff is a single piece of hardware will not work right out of the box then I would spend a few minutes finding out what it will take to make things work rather than just dumping the distro. Really, in the end that is how we learn anyway, look at it like a challenge. :D

Point two, Linux distros, at least unsupported desktop distros, with maybe the exception of Ubuntu (they're just fanboys :shock: ), are NOT in competition with each other!!! Please, feel free to try or use any distro you like. I think the majority of us use other distros, probably most of us use other distros as our main desktops. No problem! This is another way we learn. Try everything new that comes out, it can become addictive. Use vbox or vmware to run them, then if you like what you see go ahead and multi-boot it on your hard drive. My latest is RHEL 6 Beta! Now is your chance to try the official RedHat Enterprise Linux for FREE!!! It runs like a champ, I am very pleased.

And no, the OP did not rant and with the exception of his last parting shot, which I am sure was made in jest, he was very objective. But our point is, "so what?" If you want to move to another distro then great! We all have certain distros that work best for us. Mine is Arch Linux. That is just right up my alley, doesn't mean it is right for you though. That is the beauty of Linux! :D
bigBuckets

Post by bigBuckets »

MALsPa wrote: And why do people feel the need to make an announcement when they decide to switch distros? Does anyone really care what distro someone else uses?
Maybe it's like kissing the new girlfriend in front of your ex.

Just a little punch in the gut. :lol:
Craig

Post by Craig »

What does living in a certain country have to do with it? An absolute pointless post, but good luck with your new operating system. Hope it works well for you. :)
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Craig wrote:What does living in a certain country have to do with it? An absolute pointless post, but good luck with your new operating system. Hope it works well for you. :)
I have to admit I like the idea of Linux Mint being from Europe xD
Craig

Post by Craig »

Carl wrote:
Craig wrote:What does living in a certain country have to do with it? An absolute pointless post, but good luck with your new operating system. Hope it works well for you. :)
I have to admit I like the idea of Linux Mint being from Europe xD
Same here, it's always great to see projects of any form doing very well that are established from the UK. I'm not sure why some people want to take a view that just because a project is not established in their particular country; how they can as an additional excuse not use it.

If you ask me, that is disrespectful to the team that work tirelessly on the project and it's contributors. There is no need for comments such as this, they come across as irrelevant and as someone else stated; if there was a particular problem they should of done the rightful thing and posted about it for additional support instead of announcing it on the forum.

In a sense, this is a worldwide project with many contributors from around the World so it's ignorant to say stuff like that. :)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Craig wrote:In a sense, this is a worldwide project with many contributors from around the World so it's ignorant to say stuff like that.
Reminds me of this:
zenfarm

Post by zenfarm »

I am a long time user of Mint - since the 'B' versions. I was a supporter of Mint. However, after many situations here on the forum and also the distro itself and all of the B.S. that is inherited from Ubuntu; I am pretty much at my end of Mint I am very sorry to say. I have thought of possibly another distro; but really not impressed with any of the others. I will probably run mint Gloria into the ground on my laptop and when that finally poops out - I will be finished with linux. Like the concept a lot; but way too much bull and too many idiot characters in the various communities.

I love my Macs and that is where i will stay. Mint and the people 'behind/around' it turned me off big time. I fairly gave this distro many years of use and support and respect. Now - it leaves a very sour taste in my mouth!

I can understand why many people here feel that way. About 25x that many feel that way about Ubuntu at the present.

Clem you had the world by the balls and you lost it! :(
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I'm starting to feel that way, but I'm not lost yet. As long as mint decides to branch off from Ubuntu completely in the next few months, I'll probably stay a Mint user. Ubuntu has gone way off the track and (albeit slower), Mint is following suit. If this keeps up, I won't have a distro I'm happy with anymore.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

My initial instinct is to flame the last two posts back, but they do have a point. :cry:

I think the remark about Clem having the world by the balls and losing it is foolish. Just because YOU decide you are through with Mint means nothing. For every one who quits Mint 5 more try it and at least 1 more stays. Whatever...

Linux in general is what is losing me. Like the modern automobile, in an effort to become all things to all people and simple for everyone to use it instead grows increasingly complicated and things are much more likely to go wrong. When they go wrong the simple man like myself can no longer fix things...

Arch is what is keeping my last vestiges of interest in Linux. My kids are all running Mint and I don't mind helping them administer the Mint systems. I am the last resort guy they come to when they are at wits end. But they are increasingly getting better themselves and have found that a reinstall is usually the fastest, easiest bet and they don't even need to bother dad with it. So I tinker with Arch, which is still what Linux is supposed to be about, and I test drive the new releases of most major distros, but only long enough to shake my head at all the BS and fluff in them, and I dump them just as fast.

In the effort to reach the general masses Linux is losing the enthusiasts like myself. I really do not see much difference between the modern Linux distro and Windows 7 and truth be told, Windows 7 has far fewer problems.

Or maybe it is just me... :?

Return to “Xfce”