Can "Star office be used" in MINT

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rat*terrier
Level 1
Level 1

Can "Star office be used" in MINT

Post by rat*terrier »

Hi:
I am Linux newbie trying to make the conversion from Windows. After trying several linux distros, I have found MINT to be the easiest out of the box distro for me. I have one stumbling block. I am a educator and have many Microsoft powerpoint teaching presentations that I would like to use under linux. I have attempted to covert over to “Open Officeâ€￾ suite in place of Microsoft office, but have found that while the Windows version of “Open Officeâ€￾ will read and convert these files just fine, the Linux version of Open Office will not. I have been told the the Windows and Linux versions of Open office are slightly different and that I might be better off using “Star Officeâ€￾ Can “Star Officeâ€￾ be imported and used under linux “MINTâ€￾ ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint rat*terrier
Yes Staroffice can be installed. It is however not GPL and you have to pay for it.
Her is a link to an Ubuntu guide to install StarOffice
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/StarOffice
Most (not all, but most) that works in Ubuntu works in Mint (the other way round is not true)
rat*terrier
Level 1
Level 1

star office in MINT

Post by rat*terrier »

Hi Husse:
Thank for the rapid reply. I'll give this a try.

Return to “Beginner Questions”