A burning question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

A burning question

Post by red-e-made »

I've seen it recommended many times to burn the ISO image onto a CD at a speed of 2x. I burned mine at 4x, as this was the slowest I could burn it. Although the LiveCD will probably turn out fine, I'd prefer to lower the possibility of a screw-up as much as possible.

So to spare me the time involved in downloading and checking every bit of CD burning software I find . . .

What is a free, quality CD burning software that will allow me to burn at a speed of 2x?

Thanks much in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: A burning question

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote:What is a free, quality CD burning software that will allow me to burn at a speed of 2x?
Such things also depend on your cd drive. Some modern drives simply cannot and will not burn slower than 4x. As for CD burning software I'd recommend k3b.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

k3b works only for Linux - which I haven't installed yet.

So let me clarify:

I'm looking for a free, quality, Windows compatible CD burning software that allows me to burn at 2x.

Thanks much.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote: I'm looking for a free, quality, Windows compatible CD burning software that allows me to burn at 2x.
Ask Microsoft? Or use Google?
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

scorp123 wrote:Ask Microsoft? Or use Google?
Are you serious?

If I want to learn things about LinuxMint the hard way by Googling and seeing what people say in various and sundry websites and forums, I would have done that. Instead, I come to this forum, of LinuxMint users, to ask advice related to LinuxMint. Because it's easier.

"Use Google"? Dude, if you don't know, just don't even reply.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Why do you seek to burn absolutely at 2x? OK, one needs to burn with a low speed but 4x should be good. (If you always check the MD5)

I burn my ISO images at 4x and I never had problems.
Last edited by linuxviolin on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote: Are you serious?
I unfortunately don't know sh** about Microsoft crap OS's. The only burning software I know is Nero 6 ... but that one isn't free.
red-e-made wrote: If I want to learn things about LinuxMint
But you asked about a burning program for Windows .... :wink:
red-e-made wrote: "Use Google"? Dude, if you don't know, just don't even reply.
Dude, if you don't know how to use Google, why are you even on the Internet? It took me a few seconds to find free burning software. But after your stupid response I won't bother to post the URL's here. Have a nice day. :lol:
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I always use this in windows.
http://www.imgburn.com/
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

gollum1971 wrote:Three cheers for the moderators
Wow, thanks :D :D :D
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

In answer to the 4x versus 2x question, I had seen the speed of 2x recommended over 4x by Husse among others. Now then:
scorp123 wrote:Dude, if you don't know how to use Google, why are you even on the Internet?
I'm aware of how to use Google. Asking a LinuxMint-related question - in this case, related to CD burning software for making a LiveCD - in the LinuxMint forum is just (usually) more effecient. Just as someone who had a question about his Camaro would go to a Camaro forum, someone who had a question about his Toshiba VCR would go to a Toshiba VCR forum, and so on and so forth.
scorp123 wrote:It took me a few seconds to find free burning software.
That's wonderful. I've seen a number of results as well. But as I said at the very beginning of the thread, I was trying to save the time of downloading one, checking it, finding it's slowest speed is 4x, uninstalling it, downloading another, etc.

In other words, I asked a specific question. If you don't have a specific answer, that's fine. But it's insulting to a person's intelligence to crack back with "try Google".
scorp123 wrote:But after your stupid response I won't bother to post the URL's here. Have a nice day. :lol:
Come now. No need to get defensive for not knowing something. You're not expected to have all the answers. But if you're stumped, it'd be nice if you were at least polite about it.

Thanks!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

red-e-made wrote: Asking a LinuxMint-related question -
Nope. It was a Windows-related question (free burning software for Windows). And I already wrote up there that I don't know anything and I don't want and I don't need to know anything about Microsoft-related software. If you get offended so easily (like it was intended as an offence in the first place??? I am better at offending people than *that* :lol: ) by "Ask Microsoft? Or use Google?" then I suggest you first take close look in the mirror and ask yourself if you maybe might have some other personal issues too? :wink:
red-e-made wrote: Just as someone who had a question about his Camaro would go to a Camaro forum,
To use your analogy: You just came to the Camarao forum to ask how to tow away your shiny new Camaro using an old rusty VW beetle from before World War 2 .... :lol: What would folks in the Camaro forum answer? "Ahem, ask in a VW museum? Or ask an automobile club to assist you with that? .... " ==> same thing that I did.
red-e-made wrote: But it's insulting to a person's intelligence to crack back with "try Google".
If you get insulted so easily you probably shouldn't hang around on Internet forums? On the other hand, if you insist on hanging around on Internet forums, maybe it would be a good idea to adjust your tolerance levels a slight bit and not interpret every short and possibly stupid comment that someone makes to you as an "insult"? Just a hint :lol:
ironosity
Level 1
Level 1

re

Post by ironosity »

In windows I also use imgburn and I always burn ISOs at max speed. I've never had a problem except with cd rws. good luck!
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Ironically, scorp, during this time I burned the ISO image at 4x onto a Sony CD and voila - nearly everything works (although I'm having a bit of trouble with wireless and wired connections, as I mentioned in Networks). The fact that almost everything works is largely due to advice you've given me in other areas, so thanks very much for that.
scorp123 wrote:maybe it would be a good idea to adjust your tolerance levels a slight bit and not interpret every short and possibly stupid comment that someone makes to you as an "insult"?
Telling someone to "use Google" in order to find something on the Internet is a little insulting, yes. But there was no steam shooting out of my ears, trust me. I was just offering a little friendly advice on your people skills. Sorry this led you to conclude I made a "stupid reply" as you put it earlier. Maybe I need to work on my people skills as well. ;)

In any event, if you're not too insulted to deal with me further, I could really use your advice in this thread. And I promise not to take it personally if you advise me to visit AskJeeves or something ;).
txba516
Level 4
Level 4

Free Windows burning software

Post by txba516 »

Hi Red-e-made,

A good burning software for Windows I've used before is CD Burner XP Pro.
You can find it at http://www.cdburnerxp.se/.

Good luck and welcome to Mint!
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I've heard different answers to burn speeds on other forums. Some say that the newer drives actually burn better at higher speeds. The slowest speed mine will burn at is 8x and I've never had a problem. I use K3b, thanks to Scorp's advice.
Adler
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Adler »

Hi All,

Doesn't NERO offer a trial (30 day) version of their Burner. I guess you could call that free.

Adler
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

I like Imagine Burn when using M$, and it's free.

http://www.imgburn.com/
Husse

Post by Husse »

You should burn at the speed with the lowest error ratio - generally the slowest.
In the battle for speed manufacturers may have forgotten that what is burned also should be burned as error free as possible.
Any CD/DVD has thousands of errors and about a third of the disc is reserved for ECC. When/if the number of errors get too high all can't be repaired
This goes for factory made CD/DVD discs as well

Return to “Beginner Questions”