Help ! I have just locked up my partners account

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Don't Panic!

you have just screwed up the permissions on their files.

so what you do is look at the permissions on your home directory and replicate them on the other home directory.

open a terminal, look at the permissions on all the dir
run:
ls -l /home

it should look like this but with more directories.
drwxr-xr-x 50 boo boo 4096 2007-07-25 15:12 boo
drwx------ 2 root root 16384 2007-07-01 10:19 lost+found

so to change the permissions on their home directory run:
sudo chmod 755 /home/partners_home

try loging on as your partner again.

if this did not work we will have to look deeper.
and post the results of the ls command.

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

gollum1971 wrote: The result of ls follow

drwxr-xr-x 31 aiden aiden 4096 2007-07-25 12:53 aiden
drw-rw-rw- 56 frog frog 4096 2007-07-25 01:39 frog
The "execute" permission on a directory means "being able to change into it". So by taking away that bit you blocked access to the directory. Read and write permissions on a directory are not enough ... you also need to be able to "execute" it = change into it.
gollum1971 wrote: when I try to change the permissiond using chmod 755, it yells me that permission is denied.
Did you use sudo ?? Doesn't look like it.

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 755 /home/frog
gollum1971 wrote: I don't really know what I'm doing with chmod 755 but I did find the permissions "-R u+w" on the internet
Different notations. The manual is your friend:

man chmod
And a few words of wisdom:

*NEVER* *EVER* execute recursive commands (parameter: -R !!) unless you *precisely* know what you are doing, OK? You want to play safe? Fine, then follow our instructions and forget about reading stuff on the Internet which you don't seem to understand at the moment. Better come back here and ask us, OK?

Furthermore, the parameter there you suggested "u+w" doesn't help in your case ... it only gives the user the "write" permission which in your case frog already has .... it's the "execute" permission that's missing, that would be either a u+rwx to use that notation (but *not* recursive -R !!) or the command we suggested above:

sudo chmod 755 /home/frog
Again, the manual is your friend ....

man chmod
man chown
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

gollum1971 wrote: We decided that there wasn't anything of real value on the hard drive so I re-installed Mint.
Overkill :wink:
gollum1971 wrote: Thanks for the advice and I didn't relaise there is a manual,
Yes, UNIX-like OS such as Linux ship with built-in manuals that even contain useful information that go way beyond the limited "help" output you'd get from a MS-DOS or Windows program. Once you've seen the manuals you will find it hard to understand why people say that UNIX-like OS are "user unfriendly" .... Those manuals really explain everything. Wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_page

Another very useful command is apropos .... In case you find yourself in a terminal all of a sudden and don't know how to do a certain thing ... ask apropos! Let's suppose your web browser icon vanished somehow and you don't know how to invoke it via a terminal ... OK, a web browser has to do something with the web .. right? So we simply ask apropos what it knows about this topic: the web.

apropos web
Result: apropos will happily inform you about all the commands it knows that have something to do with this topic you asked about:

> apropos web
firefox (1)          - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser
gnome-www-browser (1) - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser
LWP (3pm)            - The World-Wide Web library for Perl
lwp-download (1p)    - Fetch large files from the web
lwp-rget (1p)        - Retrieve web documents recursively
LWP::RobotUA (3pm)   - a class for well-behaved Web robots
LWP::UserAgent (3pm) - Web user agent class
mozilla (1)          - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser
mozilla-firefox (1)  - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser
ooweb (1)            - OpenOffice.org office suite
screem (1)           - A GNOME website development environment
sensible-browser (1) - sensible editing, paging, and web browsing
sensible-editor (1)  - sensible editing, paging, and web browsing
sensible-pager (1)   - sensible editing, paging, and web browsing
update-ms-fonts (8)  - download updated Microsoft Web fonts
w3m (1)              - a text based Web browser and pager
www-browser (1)      - a text based Web browser and pager
x-www-browser (1)    - a Web browser for X11 derived from the Mozilla browser
So that stuff it spitted out on the left column are actual system commands that will launch programs ... and each of them usually ships with their own manual page ...

So armed with "apropos" and "man" you can get pretty far ... :wink:
gollum1971 wrote: I'll take a look at that anyway and maybe I'll learn something along the way.
You just did :wink:
gollum1971 wrote: I bet you guys get slightly sick of us ex-windose user :lol:
Nah, don't worry. What really worries me sometimes is people getting my very very dry and sarcastic downright mean sense of humor wrong ... Oh well. I am one filthsy little hobbitses sometimes I guess ... or something like that. :wink:

Regards :wink:
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

gollum1971 wrote:Bloody hell Scorp123

Can you lot make Mint any easier to use !!!!!!!!! :shock:

Thanks for that, I'll have to write it down incase I do something stupid again :lol:

I'm the nice Gollum, and Mint is my preciousssssssss
Its just a steep learning curve. People use windows for 5 years then assume they know computers well. To realize that clicking through wizards they weren't learning to use a computer but rather a proprietary user environment. Not to say that linux lacks in some areas, but generally are in the name of security.

Return to “Beginner Questions”