Christian Bible Study

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Christian Bible Study

Post by exploder »

You can make a request in the "Code and Packaging" section of the forum. I tried a search using Synaptic using "Bible" as the key word and immediately found the appropriate packages were available to install. Anything that is available for Ubuntu is also available for LinuxMint because we use the Ubuntu repositories as well as our own.

Welcome to the forum!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

You can also install e-sword in Mint using wine! This is the best freeware program for Bible study it beats Gnomesword and Bibletime, which are both modeled after it.

Here is the definitive post on this:

http://ohioloco.ubuntuforums.org/showth ... ?p=3886077

post #1 is the one you are interested in. It looks harder than it is, essentially just install Wine then DL the esword installer from that post and click on the icon to run it. It is that simple.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Yes, and isn't there also an Ubuntu CE (Christian Edition)? I never have it installed but it seems the artwork, daily quotes etc is quite special in this edition. In the same way there is an Ubuntu ME (Muslim Edition). Perhaps the individual programmes are in de repos already?
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

isn't there also an Ubuntu CE (Christian Edition)?
it's no longer available :(

the author(s) now support another project. 8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Please click at www.distrowatch.com now.

After a year of silence a new developement edition of Ubuntu Christian Edition (CE) has been released for testing...
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

you should use synaptic its much better than mint install. its the same as the ubuntu one as mint uses all the same repos as ubuntu.
Hi keep an eye on these sites for more applications.

Christian Software
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 22#p231822
Ubuntu Christian Edidion website
http://ubuntuce.com
Ubuntu Christian Edition forum
http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=168
dwflo

Post by dwflo »

I am a Christian and do not mind any discussion on the subject...I can be very opinionated. :mrgreen:
Be aware, there are some whom might object and that decision must be made buy all at some point.

Dave
Last edited by dwflo on Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ell02

Post by ell02 »

In synaptic take a look at Xiphos. It seems like the old gnome sword an works well for me.
sevenX

Post by sevenX »

exploder wrote:You can make a request in the "Code and Packaging" section of the forum. I tried a search using Synaptic using "Bible" as the key word and immediately found the appropriate packages were available to install. Anything that is available for Ubuntu is also available for LinuxMint because we use the Ubuntu repositories as well as our own.

Welcome to the forum!
I'll second this solution.

Menu - Administration - Synaptic Package Manger - Search "bible" :wink:
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

I've just had some good results getting eSword 8.06 to work under the latest Crossover V9.0.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

It also works well on some other S/w that I had little success with.

So, now I've bought a copy 8)

Very rare for me to buy anything, now that I have switched to Linux,
so - WINE must have come a long way, for me to even consider a purchase.
Note:- that this is the Commercial version & they are the chief supporter of the WINE project.
Last edited by Pierre on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Anthorn

Post by Anthorn »

In Menu > Package Manager search for Bibletime. This uses the Sword programming library and provides search, download and install of Crosswire module titles through the Bibletime GUI. There are different Bible versions such as the King James Version and a few classic dictionaries such as Strong, Easton and Webster. The look and feel is a little bit like mobipocket on Windows. A nice feature with the KJV is that cursor hover reveals the strong number.
DAKAVAJO!

Post by DAKAVAJO! »

I'm a noobie to Linux. I have long used Power Bible CD with Windows and after trying some Linux Bible programs I decided to try Power Bible in WINE. It works great!! And I think Power Bible beats all the others hands-down! The CD's are only $19 or you can download the free demo version (which is a fully functional older version with no time limits). To learn more please visit: http://www.powerbible.com
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

DAKAVAJO! wrote:I'm a noobie to Linux. I have long used Power Bible CD with Windows and after trying some Linux Bible programs I decided to try Power Bible in WINE. It works great!! And I think Power Bible beats all the others hands-down! The CD's are only $19 or you can download the free demo version (which is a fully functional older version with no time limits). To learn more please visit: http://www.powerbible.com
Thank you for your post letting us know this program works in Wine. I like e-sword myself but I am acquainted with Power Bible. It is a very good program.
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jadek »

Although more than a year seems to have passed by since the last post on this subject, I wish to echo the value that e-Sword via CrossOver has. I was a weekly user of PowerBible, and it is still great as far as ease of user, but for MANY more resources and for "power users," e-Sword stands far above the crowd at this date (insofar as free software goes). Not too long ago I posted a tutorial of sorts on how to get various types of e-Sword modules to work on one's Linux system (mine being Mint, of course). Head to this link for that:

http://www.biblesupport.com/topic/991-e ... ver-linux/
mintyed

Post by mintyed »

jadek wrote:Although more than a year seems to have passed by since the last post on this subject, I wish to echo the value that e-Sword via CrossOver has. I was a weekly user of PowerBible, and it is still great as far as ease of user, but for MANY more resources and for "power users," e-Sword stands far above the crowd at this date (insofar as free software goes). Not too long ago I posted a tutorial of sorts on how to get various types of e-Sword modules to work on one's Linux system (mine being Mint, of course). Head to this link for that:

http://www.biblesupport.com/topic/991-e ... ver-linux/
why crossover don't yo have to pay for crossover. Wine is free and e-sword runs great in wine. but each to there own i guess.
Herpy

Post by Herpy »

Don't they have religious study stuff all online?
pengyou

Post by pengyou »

There is a huge depository of Christian materials online. I have tried using it and it works reasonably well...the problem is that much of it seems (my guess) to be on cheap servers and, when you are doing a few tasks at one time - very common in Bible study, slow1, slow2, slow3 and slow4 all collide and create a frustrating situation.

Does the newest version of e-sword work on mint (with wine)? The one I am talking about is the one that downloads and installs all the add-ins in one step.
jadek
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jadek »

Re: why CrossOver when Wine is free, altho' others said they had had success installing eSword under Wine, I had difficulty. I needed it to work & work fast, so I spent the money & w/ CrossOver it was very simple. That said, I don't like the idea that I had to pay roughly $35US (& for only 6 months of support!) for essentially 1 program, and a free one at that! So if people can get eSword to work w/ Wine, more power to them!

Re: using online sources, a) I personally need to have resources on CD or a hard drive 'cuz there are times when I'm not around wi-fi (let alone the accurate speed aspect mentioned above); b) I've yet to find an online site (and friends & professional colleagues have tried!) that does all I need, and as quickly as my software does it. BTW, eSword is available in an online version, for those who don't know.

The Sword Project is coming along great guns, but eSword (with its own modules & those from biblesupport.com) still far exceeds it.
nymusicman

Post by nymusicman »

BibleAnalyzer is an excellent bible program. It's not open source but it does have a native linux version (well Ubuntu version anyway, but this is Mint Forums :) ). The developer does a really great job and there are literally tons of modules (a few paid ones but tons of free ones as well). Once in a great while the Linux version falls behind the Windows version, but we has assured in his forums that if he can get a larger Linux base of users he will devote the extra time. However, even with the lack of Linux users he still does keep his Linux version up and running and for the most part up to date.

Try it out and see what you think.

If you don't like it than I would go with Xiphos. The Crosswire Project as well as Gnome Sword (Xiphos' old name) have been a longstanding and wonderful contribution to the Christian Linux community for a very long time now and it's good to support Free Software where we can.
RJim

Post by RJim »

Xiphos and BibleDiscovery are what I use here, and they both work great.

--Jim

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”