Mint and I are officially parting ways

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Mint and I are officially parting ways

Post by MALsPa »

Interesting reading the last three posts. I guess I'm just lucky. Ubuntu has worked out fine for me, and so has Mint. I guess I haven't run into any problems with "modern" Linux distros. Or else I'm just not using any "modern" distros! :lol: I'm probably behind the times, as always!

Perhaps I'll find out sometime this year. By the end of this year, I think I'll have Lucid, Isadora, Mepis 10, and Squeeze on this computer. I'll see how things go -- you never know -- but I'm not expecting any major problems. Very interested to see for myself if the "new" Ubuntu is gonna be something that turns me off.

@ FedoraRefugee: Kinda surprised to hear some of the positive things you say about Windows 7. It's good to hear that it's a nice OS. I don't think I'll ever try it at home. If I don't have to, I have no intention of ever letting Microsoft get another dime of my money. Nothing against Windows, really. But Microsoft's job is to make money, and that means they'd love to get some of mine. And I love keeping them from getting their hands on my money!

Linux has been great for me so far, but for me, even a less-that-perfect Linux is better than coughing up hundreds of dollars for Windows! Or for a Mac!

I'm just a penny-pincher that way, I guess! :lol:

But, that's me. Folks should use what works for them, as we always say. 8)
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I don't know that I would spend hundreds of dollars on it either. :D I got my copy of 7 Ultimate through my school very cheaply. If not for that then I suppose I would eventually buy a laptop/netbook with the current Windows, but my experience with the "home premium" versions have been less than stellar, though I do not know if I should blame MS or the crapware the manufacturers always install over the OS...

I don't know what the future will hold for me. I was big into home computers from the late late 1970's till the late 1980's when I got away from it for a time due to life, work, and reality. I jumped back in around 1997-8 with Windows and hated it. I soon found Linux and got a new burst that drove me through to this point. But now my mind is wandering again. Computers have gone from being a plaything to being a necessity, but I am losing interest in playing and just want the durn thing to work when I need it without having to learn new skills at every turn. As my kids grow older and I am more financially secure I am beginning to turn to travel and other interests and I just have no desire to sit in a dark room playing with an OS 10 hours a day. :D At this point I am equally comfortable with Linux and Windows and I see advantages and disadvantages with both. My hatred of MS has long since fizzled and I simply don't care about promoting or boycotting them anymore. Maybe I just need to buy an ipad! :lol:
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Here my take, there are always people who make a big deal about leaving the distro. Amazingly even though they have used the distro for years (they always tell you that) they are real newbies to the forum. This sort of situation often smells of old fish to me.
zenfarm

Post by zenfarm »

I took on a new user name that is why i have so few posts - I am technically at level 7! :D
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

FedoraRefugee wrote:I don't know that I would spend hundreds of dollars on it either. :D I got my copy of 7 Ultimate through my school very cheaply.
I got mine free :D Microsoft go out of their way to indoctrinate IT students.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

randomizer wrote:I got mine free :D Microsoft go out of their way to indoctrinate IT students.
Did they throw in Microsoft Office for free, too? That would be nice...
deleted

Post by deleted »

monkeyboy wrote:Here my take, there are always people who make a big deal about leaving the distro. Amazingly even though they have used the distro for years (they always tell you that) they are real newbies to the forum. This sort of situation often smells of old fish to me.
"The proud speech of a fool [brings] a rod [of discipline]
but the lips of the wise protect them."

Comes to mind.

-Hinto
zenfarm

Post by zenfarm »

well - as of today - I too am officially finished with Mint. Way too much BS across the board and hanging on the back of ubuntu.

I will use my Gloria on my thinkpad until it just doesn't work anymore or I decide to load pclinux Gnome. I have been here since Barbara, Bea, and Bianca in 2008. A wonderful distro it once was. Thank you Mint and Clem and the late Husse. But I can no longer support and use this project. Best wishes to you all. :(
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

zenfarm wrote:well - as of today - I too am officially finished with Mint. Way too much BS across the board and hanging on the back of ubuntu.

I will use my Gloria on my thinkpad until it just doesn't work anymore or I decide to load pclinux Gnome. I have been here since Barbara, Bea, and Bianca in 2008. A wonderful distro it once was. Thank you Mint and Clem and the late Husse. But I can no longer support and use this project. Best wishes to you all. :(
Not sure what your gripe is, zenfarm. Mint is the most awesome Linux distro currently available, IMHO. Yeah, Ubuntu is bad, but the Mint team has done an awesome job making a great product even starting with a bad base.

Gloria was a great release. Isadora is even better! I have contributed small amounts financially to this project a couple of times (wish I could afford to do more!) and plan to do so again in the future. I'm here to stay. :)

But... whatever... Use whatever distro makes YOU happy and take care and be well...

Jeff
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Yep! Nothing wrong with moving on when you feel the need. Good luck and I may even see you around on another forum sometime. :D

Return to “Xfce”