Why do YOU think Ubuntu 10.04 sucks?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ainer

Why do YOU think Ubuntu 10.04 sucks?

Post by Ainer »

I'm noticing a fair number of "OMG!!! Ubuntu 10.04 SUCKS!!!!!!" type comments on Linux Mint 9 blog posts. Most of them sound as though Ubuntu 10.04 is the worst injustice they have ever had to put up with and that Linux Mint 9 cannot leave it (for Debian) fast enough.

I was wondering if any of these posters would mind stepping up and filling me in on exactly how Ubuntu 10.04 sucks so bad?

Cheers!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Why do YOU think Ubuntu 10.04 sucks?

Post by FedoraRefugee »

Personally, I have never claimed Ubuntu sucks. It is a decent enough distro. But lately they seem to be trying to be more cutting edge then may be wise. There have been some serious bugs at release for the last 3 or 4 releases now. For someone like me this is no major challenge, they are all mostly easily worked around. But for the newer Linux user?

This release many of us have also questioned the wisdom of the aesthetic changes with the menu buttons. Is this the end of the world? No. And I am not going to go as far as saying it is merely change for the sake of change, Ubuntu seems to be headed somewhere with all this. I just do not think it is where most want to go. Time will eventually tell.

I am a strong proponent of Mint going to a debian base. I simply feel there are many advantages to this, the least of which would be a rolling release, or, at the least, a more optimal upgrade path than the Ubuntu base provides. I think using Squeeze as the base would provide much more stability without going as far as being stale. Those users so inclined could then step things up to the Sid repo in part or in full. We would also lose all the Mickey Mouse Ubuntu changes we inherit from upstream. Debian is as vanilla as it gets with no modifications to the base packages (except for the silly Iceweasel stuff) and it would provide a much cleaner canvas to work from.

If Mint does not ever do this and stays with Ubuntu? That is cool with me! I judge Mint as it stands by itself, and so far it has worked. I have no complaints with the distro and I am looking forward to Mint 9.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I know updating the NVidea drivers hosed my system earlier today. The drivers installed and the system was fine for one reboot, after that it was stuck in low graphics mode. The system showed the driver as installed, it just simply would not use it, it exhibited the same behavior as the beta release. So yeah, I tend to think 10.04 kinda sucks right now.
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

exploder wrote:I know updating the NVidea drivers hosed my system earlier today. The drivers installed and the system was fine for one reboot, after that it was stuck in low graphics mode. The system showed the driver as installed, it just simply would not use it, it exhibited the same behavior as the beta release. So yeah, I tend to think 10.04 kinda sucks right now.
Same problem here, and it was also a MAJOR show-stopping bug in 9.10. I couldn't even get the Nvidia drivers to install in Karmic. You would think they would have fixed that by now. *shrugs*

I was pleasantly surprised not to have any video driver issues at all in LM9 RC. Can't wait for the official release! :D
recent-convert

Post by recent-convert »

The wave of criticism is confusing. I've been using Lucid these past two days and on the whole it's absolutely amazing. The "It Just Works" factor is much higher - everything on my laptop worked 'out of the box', which is a first in my experience.

I'm also massively pleased with the iPhone syncing, so it's possible to copy files back off the phone without having to jailbreak it or suchlike.

The only gripes I have are minor ones:
* default wallpaper sucks (I guess the long-standing Ubuntu tradition continues...)
* no noticeable speed increase over Karmic
* first thing I did was re-install GIMP

So overall it's great enough to lure me away from Mint, at least until Isadora arrives.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Does the syncing work both ways with contacts/calendar etc?
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

Every new release brings about a certain degree of discontent. Some of it is deserved and some is just EDIT by Moderator, No Vulgar Language Please, so the only way for me to access the "suckability" of a new distro is to compare it to the last version. The last Ubuntu version didn't like my SLI set up (my red button issue) out of the box and neither did the current version. So as always its hunt and edit till things work. So for me the new vs old Ubuntu "suckability" is not a big issue. I should add that I really appreciate all the effort that the Ubuntu folk put into their distro for us Mint people.
lexon

Post by lexon »

I found it to be OK. A few modifications on my part. I suppose it helps those who need to Rant about anything.
The only issue I see is Firefox being a real issue with version 3.5 and higher. Firefox takes as many as forty seconds to find some URL's now.
I still use Mint 7 with FF 3.0 as it is faster with certain URL's. I clean all data when I close FF and I do that at least a dozen times a day. I log into everything each time I go to a required login.
I do not see that changing as it is a FF issue expecting me to keep certain history and cookies. It is called, Control. Resembles, Microsoft.

Lex
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Am I allowed to post in this thread if I don't think 10.04 sucks? I actually think it's really good, the best that Canonical has done in quite some time. I don't agree with all of their decisions, but there's nothing in the distro that I can't change to suit my needs. There have been a number of hardware complaints that I've seen, but on a personal note I never see those as I use computers designed for maximum Linux compatibility in the first place.
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

monkeyboy wrote:Every new release brings about a certain degree of discontent. Some of it is deserved and some is just EDIT by Moderator, No Vulgar Language Please, so the only way for me to access the "suckability" of a new distro is to compare it to the last version. The last Ubuntu version didn't like my SLI set up (my red button issue) out of the box and neither did the current version. So as always its hunt and edit till things work. So for me the new vs old Ubuntu "suckability" is not a big issue. I should add that I really appreciate all the effort that the Ubuntu folk put into their distro for us Mint people.
I love Mint. I do !.
I am also a realist. Debian stable only gets upgraded every couple of years for a reason.
It's completely stable.Mint is more stable than Ubuntu, but it's still Ubuntu.
Lenny is Lenny. Probably the most stable OS on the planet.
metalf8801

Post by metalf8801 »

jlr1701 wrote:
exploder wrote:I know updating the NVidea drivers hosed my system earlier today. The drivers installed and the system was fine for one reboot, after that it was stuck in low graphics mode. The system showed the driver as installed, it just simply would not use it, it exhibited the same behavior as the beta release. So yeah, I tend to think 10.04 kinda sucks right now.
Same problem here, and it was also a MAJOR show-stopping bug in 9.10. I couldn't even get the Nvidia drivers to install in Karmic. You would think they would have fixed that by now. *shrugs*

I was pleasantly surprised not to have any video driver issues at all in LM9 RC. Can't wait for the official release! :D
Why do you blame Ubuntu or Conical for this? Isn't the problem cased by the Nvida driver? Sins the Nvida drive is most like property the only people that can fix it work for Nvidia. I know this isn't going to fix your problem now or even anytime soon but next time you buy a computer look for ether the safest but slowest video card which would be integrated Intel or if you need a faster video card go with Ati. Nvidia has stopped working on there very basic open source drivers see http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... s_nv&num=1 for more on that.

just something to think about
Dan
CDS

Post by CDS »

To me Ubuntu 10.04 is Ok. It does what I need.I just downloaded the software I need and it works flawless with my purpose. Speedy. But the background colour is absolutely suck. So, I keep it in my netbook as one of the Operating systems.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

I don't. Quite enjoying it on main box at present. Solid, reliable, given me zero issues at all with this release so far. It might actually stay for a change. :)
XeOn

Post by XeOn »

I think Ubuntu 10.04 rocks and I am Mint user. Everything worked after installation on my HP pavilion dv6 and vaio vgn-fw33g (this includes: webcam, internal mic, sound, bluetooth, graphics, wireless + lan, hdmi out, etc.
Even my brother is using 10.04 now and he likes it and he hasn't seen anything other than MS ever and he didn't like Win7.
I also think Mint is great and probably a tad better than Ubuntu, since it comes with a lot more (preinstalled) and has some more "user-friendly" features, but that's not the reason to say Ubuntu sucks.

I think 10.04 is the best Ubuntu release, so far...
Murdock

Post by Murdock »

Pulse Audio. That's a start.
mehmet7

Post by mehmet7 »

I don t think Ubuntu sucks, quite contrary, the developers just did great with version 10.04. I did have some problems with the software-managing in 9.04, all gone. I do prefer Mint (I know, an Ubuntu derivate) as I just like the nice graphics, the overall design and the easy managing of packages- as I am still a noob.
I just want to add, Ubuntu seems to be a very very stabile distro, while the main reason for me to switch to Linux was curiosity I just recall that I was forced to re-install Windows more often than necessary, simpy because it slowed down, applications did not work etc. Ubuntu might not be perfect, but hey, these guys are working for free while MS pays millions of dollars to develop their system, compared, I think Ubuntu is more than decent. Furthermore, Ubuntu is a good and easy introduction into the world of GNU-Linux. After experimenting with Suse years ago, my first steps with Linux were with Ubuntu, later Kubuntu and finally Mint-my favorite. nevertheless I run Ubuntu on my desktop PCjust because I like to compare and learn.
5littlejoe5

Post by 5littlejoe5 »

Well, like a lot of others, I don't really think it's that bad. *But*: In Mint9 I'm having an awful time making dosemu work properly. I finaly discovered that the problem is a bug inherited from Ubuntu 10.04. It appears that here is a workaround in the 64 bit version, but I'm not ready to move over to 64 bit, and the 32 bit version will only work in root (even after applying recommended fixes).

Also, I notice that in VBox guest XP everything is very slow. Don't really nowif that's an Ubuntu 10.04 problem or not, but didn't have it in Mint 7 or 8.

Still, Mint9 is a winner, and based on that I think Ubuntu 10.04 must not be qjuite so bad.
gabhla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gabhla »

Ubuntu 10.04 is obviously very popular, so doubt many people think it sucks.
GoustiFruit
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GoustiFruit »

One word: MONO
And as much as I like Linux Mint, I think I won't use it anymore until Mono has been removed or cleared of any threat.
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Mono is fine as long as you only use components covered by ECMA standards.

Return to “Chat about Linux”