/home partition not correct size.

Questions about hardware, drivers and peripherals
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

As it gives 50 GB even after reinstall(s) the limit seems to be outside Mint. I don't know of any barrier for hard drives of 50 GB (there's one about 33 GB and the next about 130 GB)
It could be that the MBR has an error limiting you
Can you use more that 50 GB in total?
You say the disk is 80 GB and you have Mint on it and then you expect /home to be 80GB. That can't be - Mint uses some GBs
Describe the setup of the disk and how (many times) you installed
If it indeed is the MBR I have the solution
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

So you have everything except home on the 40 GB disk and /home is alone on the 80 GB?
Or what? You are clearly contradicting yourself here.
But if it is as I guess home simply may have been created in a 50 GB partition....
Check your partition structure with gparted (unless you'r in KDE then it's qparted) and be careful not to change anything until you know whats up
Husse

Post by Husse »

This seems OK
Husse

Post by Husse »

I don't see a problem. The size mentioned in the images is somewhat less than 40 an 80 but that is because hard disk manufacturers use metric Gigabytes and software use Gigabytes based on binary = 1024 not 1000
Husse

Post by Husse »

There's definitely something strange here.
In the images of Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:01 am I see partitions named hdc1 and hdd1 + hdd2
In todays post the disks are named hda and hdb
If the latter is correct then your partitions should (of course) not be hdc and hdd, as such they are not on the same disks :shock:
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you don't use fuse you don't need that....
It is probably mounted in fstab, something like this

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb2 /media/sdb2     ntfs-3g    defaults,nls=utf8,umask=000,gid=46 0       1
which is a read/write ntfs partition you would see fuse(smb) where you see ntfs
Remove or comment out the line
Husse

Post by Husse »

If you look at fstab you see hdc and hdd not hda and hdb as in the image where we see fusesmb.
I'll have to call for help here - this is way too confusing
Husse

Post by Husse »

Today I see
# Generated by Automatix
## End of Automatix mounted partitions
I think we have the solution there
Automatix is messing around with partitions. On the other hand there is nothing mounted by Automatix...
(BTW a fuse partition should have an IP adress as it's "dev" - instead of say /dev/hdc1 you would read something like "192.168.1.1")
Husse

Post by Husse »

This is strange and I really don't know what's going on :)
We have to take a bit of a trial and error action.
Could you post

Your entire fstab
fstab tells the system how you want disks to be mounted permanently

Your entire mtab (/etc/mtab)
mtab keeps record of "what really happened" - how the disks were mounted and which disks - not only those in fstab.

And tell me what the disks are called in Gparted (hdc or hda)

This is to be from the same session - no reboot in between :)

I don't know if it gives something useful, but at least we would know a bit more
Husse

Post by Husse »

There are two problems here
Fusesmb stealing bytes from your hard drive
I think that's solved by opening mintDesktop and untick network - I think that mounts the networked volume as well
The other problem is the designations for your drives - and I don't know what the .... to think of it.
Fstab has root as hdc1 and in mtab you find it as hda1
in fstab hda is your CD
Can you use the CD player?
fstab has home as hdd1 and in mtab you find it as hdb1
fstab has swap as hdd2 and it should not be found in mtab
sda1 must be mounted by mintDisk
Gparted says hda and hdb. hda conflicts with CD in fstab

If we solve the fuse problem and you can use the CD player we are sort of done, but the disorderly behavior of your disks are worrying
Husse

Post by Husse »

Did you get rid of the fusesmb "thingy"?
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have problems with "name resolution" in this Cassandra so I've not been on line for a while. I think I have to call for help - maybe I miss something because I don't see it.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Have you been helped with this?
I ask because I made a df (executed the command df in a terminal) and I have space reserved for fusesmb that I don't see in nautilus
This is not my best part :) but I think "reserved" is the word, it's just reserved but not used so it'll make way if something else really needs it

Return to “Hardware Support”