Problems with Ebay

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Problems with Ebay

Post by antiquexray »

I'm still struggling with problem using Ebay. When Ebay sends me information on an item, is does so with the corresponding link. See the link:

javascript:ol('http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :B:SS:US:1');

However, this is the wrong link. See the correct link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-For ... enameZWDVW

Any ideas? This isn't a problem with XP.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problems with Ebay

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:See the link:
That's JavaScript (a programming language often used on web pages ... not related to SUN's Java language though, despite what one might think ...) ... so guessing by what you say I suppose you disabled JavaScript somehow? Can you please check the settings in your Firefox browser, e.g. Edit => Preferences => Content ... Are all the boxes checked or are some unchecked?

Screenshot:

Can you please check if JavaScript was disabled and if Pop-Ups are being blocked? It might be necessary to enter ebay.com into the exceptions that are allowed to create pop-up windows ... But please before touching anything have a look at your current settings.

Another possibility: Did you install any Firefox extensions such as NoScript that would completely block JavaScript despite what was set in above window? Can you please take a look at the Add-Ons you installed: Tools => Add-Ons ... and check what extensions and addons are installed in your browser?

Regards,
Scorp123
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:See the link:
That's JavaScript (a programming language often used on web pages ... not related to SUN's Java language though, despite what one might think ...) ... so guessing by what you say I suppose you disabled JavaScript somehow? Can you please check the settings in your Firefox browser, e.g. Edit => Preferences => Content ... Are all the boxes checked or are some unchecked?

Can you please check if JavaScript was disabled and if Pop-Ups are being blocked? It might be necessary to enter ebay.com into the exceptions that are allowed to create pop-up windows ... But please before touching anything have a look at your current settings.

Regards,
Scorp123
I did install greasemonkey, but I've removed that now. All boxes are checked, and java is enabled. I also placed ebay on the list. Still nothing.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:I did install greasemonkey, but I've removed that now. All boxes are checked, and java is enabled. I also placed ebay on the list. Still nothing.
And JavaScript? Again ... Java and JavaScript are not the same. And what about Pop-Ups? What happens if you add ebay.com to the exceptions there?

EDIT ... I just read your first posting again ... There you say this:
When Ebay sends me information on an item, is does so with the corresponding link
Does this mean you received this via e-mail?

Regards,
Scorp123
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:I did install greasemonkey, but I've removed that now. All boxes are checked, and java is enabled. I also placed ebay on the list. Still nothing.
And JavaScript? Again ... Java and JavaScript are not the same. And what about Pop-Ups? What happens if you add ebay.com to the exceptions there?

EDIT ... I just read your first posting again ... There you say this:
When Ebay sends me information on an item, is does so with the corresponding link
Does this mean you received this via e-mail?

Regards,
Scorp123
I do receive notification via email. So, for popups I allowed ebay, but how do I do the javascript thing? Thanks.

PS Did you see my desktop?
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:I do receive notification via email. So, for popups I allowed ebay, but how do I do the javascript thing?
What e-mail program do you use? ... Thunderbird for example is blocking JavaScript in e-mail messages out of security reasons. It can be enabled though, although it's better to leave it disabled ...
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:I do receive notification via email. So, for popups I allowed ebay, but how do I do the javascript thing?
What e-mail program do you use? ... Thunderbird for example is blocking JavaScript in e-mail messages out of security reasons. It can be enabled though, although it's better to leave it disabled ...
I use hotmail.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:I use hotmail.
You should have said that right from start :wink: OK, so did you enable JavaScript? It's likely you have to add hotmail.com too to the pop-up exceptions.

Regards,
Scorp123
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote:I use hotmail.
You should have said that right from start :wink: OK, so did you enable JavaScript? It's likely you have to add hotmail.com too to the pop-up exceptions.

Regards,
Scorp123
OK. One more time. How do I enable JavaScript? BTW, to the Mint community, he may be holding my hand here, but we're not going steady!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote: OK. One more time. How do I enable JavaScript?
Uhhm, please take a look at the screenshot up there. It's right there in the preferences, just above the option for enabling Java.
antiquexray wrote: he may be holding my hand here, but we're not going steady!
Holding hands? Don't say that too loud ... my wife is pretty jealous. Actually: pretty + jealous :lol:
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by antiquexray »

scorp123 wrote:
antiquexray wrote: OK. One more time. How do I enable JavaScript?
Uhhm, please take a look at the screenshot up there. It's right there in the preferences, just above the option for enabling Java.
antiquexray wrote: he may be holding my hand here, but we're not going steady!
Holding hands? Don't say that too loud ... my wife is pretty jealous. Actually: pretty + jealous :lol:
OK. JavaScript is enabled.
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Re: answer

Post by antiquexray »

zolly wrote:In this post, you saw above a screenshot. This screenshot is from Firefox web-browser. If you use other browsers go in Preference/Options and look for the option JavaScript which should be active.
In Firefox, near Enable Java Script is an Advance button, click on it, and see if all options are enable and try again.
If you use Opera browser, it is possible to not work correctly with all websites.

When you try to click on that link did you see errors in status bar ? What happens when you click on that link ?
Now that I know how to do it, I'll post pics of the happenings.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

antiquexray wrote:OK. JavaScript is enabled.
And, does it now work as expected? Just watch out with JavaScript, some highly annoying advertisers use this stuff to e.g. insert bookmarks into your browser you didn't really want, or they might change your default homepage to something else. You don't even need to browse into the "darker corners" of the web, sometimes surfing a "harmless" page which is full with some advertisements of some sponsors is already enough. I suggest this Firefox add-on: NoScript. With it you can fine-tune for which web pages you want to leave JavaScript active (e.g. Hotmail, EBay, etc.) and for which other pages you prefer to leave it turned off ... NoScript can be found here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/

Regards,
Scorp123

Return to “Other topics”