Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Luca

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released!

Post by Luca »

curmudgeon
>Nice anti-linux propaganda site though.
You have not seen my Linux-FAQ. It's half transtaled to English, soon it will be done ;)

>I've got roughly the same hardware as you but have never had such problems as you described in your blog post. I could have produced similar results in those screen shots with any graphic editor too!
Nobody from my users do not would use graphical editors. If you look at other reviews, you will see that often Linux-bugs are photographed on camera. And I have no reasons to create false screensots.

feed3
>no wonder why you LOVE winds so much!
Where did I write that I Winds fun? I blame Linux as Desktop OS. Windows I take only as example.

altair4, better to quote the entire sentenceб but Google mostly right.

MintyFree
>I dunno what's up with the Russian dude being anti-linux. Being Anti-Linux is like being Anti-Freedom.
You are wrong. Linux is worst of systems. It is not right to talk that we are against of Freedom. Linux have a huge number of system problems, and on my site I talk about it. I'm to tired to heard that "Linux will kill Windows", "Linux it system for gurus", "Linux is system for professionals" etc. That's totally wrong! I do not totally agree with your understanding of freedom, then...
Brad

Post by Brad »

I love Linux Mint.But need help upgrading.Here is more info: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=47753
mack_guy911

Post by mack_guy911 »

Luca wrote:curmudgeon
I'm to tired to heard that "Linux will kill Windows", "Linux it system for gurus", "Linux is system for professionals" etc. That's totally wrong!

i agree with that linux is no threat to windows and same vice versa

but at end its about user what they like and dislike yes there are certain problems with linux same happen with windows mac and others as well no hard feeling for any of them

i use linux because i like to use it :mrgreen:

please check this as well

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/linu ... asons.html
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

You are wrong. Linux is worst of systems. It is not right to talk that we are against of Freedom. Linux have a huge number of system problems, and on my site I talk about it. I'm to tired to heard that "Linux will kill Windows", "Linux it system for gurus", "Linux is system for professionals" etc. That's totally wrong! I do not totally agree with your understanding of freedom, then...
Just because you don't know how to use Linux doesn't mean it's bad, it means you don't know how to Linux. I've used Mac, the newer Mac OS X and Windows but none of them compare to Linux for me. I love Linux especially Linux Mint and Debian. Say what you will about having issues with Linux and how it might be harder to use then other OSs but you can't call it the worst simply because you had compatibility issues with it.
red-e-made
Level 5
Level 5

Post by red-e-made »

Guys, why are you letting Luca troll you? Just ignore him.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

red-e-made wrote:Guys, why are you letting Luca troll you? Just ignore him.
Seriously, that dude is an idiot. He's just some bored little brat with no life trying to stir up trouble. Just ignore him.

Back on topic, has anyone else tried 9RC with NFS shares?
saxoli

Post by saxoli »

Hello everybody,

at first THANKS !!

THANKS for LinuxMint ... The first disto that "just" works.

Only a few things, I don't know if these are bugs.

1. After logging out, default keyring (Passwords:login), is missing after login again.

2. When you got more than one profile compiz doesn't start at login, you have to put it manually in autostart-program-list.

3. Something is wrong with notification-aera of panel. VLC-, Banshee-, mail-notifaction-, TrueCrypt-Icon and so on.
All icons are not transparent anymore, bad looking white background on black panel. But gnome-player-icon works, for example !?

4. Still missing a way to change all systemsounds (info,alert ...), not only startsound.

5. Why is "Samba", for sharing folders, not installed by default?

6. Thunderbird, the right locale installed installed, but is not used by program, I have to install extension "local switcher"
and get xpi-translation from http://releases.mozilla.org

Thanks again, and

many greetings

Oli
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

Okay, after some more testing and a little google research I believe the Nautilus problems I was having are related to the nfs share problem. The odd thing is, that problem was supposed to be an issue with the last version of Ubuntu (9.10, the one Mint8 is based on) and was supposed to have been fixed in the latest release (10.04, the one Mint9 is based on). However, I have no trouble mounting my nfs share in Mint8 on my desktop.

So... anyone got any ideas about the following error?

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

Everything I found in google was about this problem in 9.10 Karmic, and how it was fixed in 10.04 Lucid, but I'm having the opposite experience. :(

FYI: I have verified the integrity of my install CD, and even tried a full wipe and re-install.
gnomic

Re: Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" RC released! - live suspend

Post by gnomic »

Afraid I haven´t tried the RC for Isadora, but I did just want to drop in 2 cents worth on a little problem I find annoying. I tend to use live CDs much of the time, commonly with a couple of ThinkPad laptops. I often have a web browsing session and then want to take away some pages in a browser for reading later. Hence I want my live session to survive closing the lid and getting back to base say 30 minutes later. In LM 8 Gnome edition I would find this desired outcome didn´t happen. On closing the lid, LM8/Gnome would attempt to suspend (I believe suspend was involved rather than hibernation) but fail. It did this by default when I looked at the relevant power settings in Gnome, and sadly it also seemed to do just the same after I had told it to do nothing when lid was closed. On opening the lid Linux still seemed to be running, but X Window was unreachable. No console access either, only exit the power button.

I suspect this is basically a Gnome problem as the continuous striving for improvement occasionally goes awry . . . my recollection is that this wasn´t a problem back in LM6. Anyway, I guess my question is, can some attention be given to setting sane defaults for live CD use in this respect, and perhaps checking whether suspend functions actually work on a range of laptop machines? This is not a problem only in Linux Mint, I have encountered it across a range of distros and it seems to be more or less universal in live CD use where Gnome is involved. In the context of live CDs it seems odd to me to suppose that any old machine is going to suspend successfully. Anyone else had similar difficulties? Or come across laptops which suspend OK?
vassilianna

Post by vassilianna »

I check everyday since May 9 , waiting for the main (or universal ) edition to come. Can't wait! Isadora is pretty promisquous, though i haven't tried it, i'm sure it's gonna be great :) Go clem and team! (:
bennachie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by bennachie »

@gnomic

Isadora RC works perfectly on my Compaq C700 laptop in the scenario you describe, both when relying on a LiveCD and when using the version installed on the hard disk. The same is true of my eeePC701-4G.
drifter

Post by drifter »

I have been using Mint since Mint 5...I thought Mint 7 was the best so far for what I use it for. Mostly streaming video and business programs. I first started noticing In Mint 8 trouble with flash and sound settings. Now with Mint 9 I find that flash is really crazy. With Monitors in Twinview Chrome browsers would not go to full screen video on Hulu. Firefox would not pop out video screen. I have switched to Mint 9 32bit instead of 64bit and that fixed the streaming issues in Firefox. I still use Chrome to watch embedded u tube video.

I am not knocking your release at all....had the same issues when I jumped the gun and installed Ubuntu 10.04. I am giving serious thought to going back to Mint 7 64bit. That release worked the best for me. I still think you make a great OS.
MintyFree

Post by MintyFree »

drifter wrote:I have been using Mint since Mint 5...I thought Mint 7 was the best so far for what I use it for. Mostly streaming video and business programs. I first started noticing In Mint 8 trouble with flash and sound settings. Now with Mint 9 I find that flash is really crazy. With Monitors in Twinview Chrome browsers would not go to full screen video on Hulu. Firefox would not pop out video screen. I have switched to Mint 9 32bit instead of 64bit and that fixed the streaming issues in Firefox. I still use Chrome to watch embedded u tube video.

I am not knocking your release at all....had the same issues when I jumped the gun and installed Ubuntu 10.04. I am giving serious thought to going back to Mint 7 64bit. That release worked the best for me. I still think you make a great OS.
I'm using Mint 7 right now. It's by far the most stable of Mint. I myself am a Debian man though, they should make a Debian version of Mint called Linux Tea.
MissileCop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MissileCop »

Downloading LM9 Isadora Stable now. :D

Thanks Clem and everyone else involved with the creation of a most excellent distro!

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/linuxmint.com/stable/9/
gunfleet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gunfleet »

saxoli wrote:3. Something is wrong with notification-aera of panel. VLC-, Banshee-, mail-notifaction-, TrueCrypt-Icon and so on.
All icons are not transparent anymore, bad looking white background on black panel. But gnome-player-icon works, for example !?Oli
Confirmed same problem here, also the context menus of some icons in the notification area are off centre, for example Rhythmbox, the right click menu can only be accessed by clicking well to the left of the actual icon
https://www.skyportradio.com Icecast2, butt 0.1.18, Clementine and Mixxx
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

MissileCop wrote:Downloading LM9 Isadora Stable now. :D

Thanks Clem and everyone else involved with the creation of a most excellent distro!

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/linuxmint.com/stable/9/
Is this the final version? Or some kind of pre-final? 'Cause there's no announcement on the official site...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:I don't know if this is a legitimate bug or just a minor glitch in either my downloads or burns.

Mint 9 x64 downloaded twice, md5 sums checked okay both times. Burned each download to CD using K3b, raw mode, slowest speed. Again md5 sums checked okay. On live desktop, Mint menu, click to see "All Applications", I get a blank page.

If it had happened once, I'd have passed it off as a bad burn. With the same glitch in two downloads I thought I should mention it
Just downloaded the DVD version - it says it's the stable release but since it hasn't been announced yet I'm not sure.

Went through the same steps except used ImgBurn on WinXP since both Brasero and K3B are apparently incapable of burning a DVD. Installed it on a rather old test box.

"All Applications" is blank. I did do an update (66 packages) and the main Applications list appeared but in the last panel so they didn't expand to anything. Finally did a Right Click > Reload Plugins which seems to have resolved the issue.

BTW, The dvd version included the "correct" version of java - sun's ( er.. oracle's ) - thank you very much.
Also, the dvd version is 763MB so it's bigger than the CD version but even with my slow download speed it only took a few more minutes to download.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
catilley

Post by catilley »

I've been a Mint user since 7 (Gloria), and Mint is the best of ALL Linux OS's, period. Currently, I'm using Mint 8 64 bit, problem free. I've evaluated Mint 9 RC on my Windows 7 Ultimate system, actually I have two SATA drives on my desktop, one for Windows, one for Mint. Things work better that way, your Windows bootloader isn't written over with Grub. Plus, each brand deserves it's own drive. Mint 9 RC looks & runs good. The only thing that I've missed in Mint 8 & 9, is that splash screen at startup that Mint 7 (Gloria) has. That mint green screen with beads of water dripping, what a theme of beauty. I'll always miss that screen. What I want to know is this. If I install the RC of Mint 9 on my desktop, when the full version is released, will there be an update to make it the full version, or will there be an "upgrade route", which I don't like. I prefer clean installs over upgrades every time, that way, no problems. Thanks to you all, and Mint happens to be the 4th most used OS worldwide now. Hopefully soon, Mint will close in on Ubuntu's lead, then Apple's. Mint could easily gain a lot of fast ground, if only the OS could install external accessories as well as it does install everything on your computer. Mint is the best for this, it can take an older computer and pour new life into it.
frsu

Post by frsu »

Unfortunately also the DVD does not give a working wireless with Live USB on my Asus Eee 1000H. :?

More Asus Eee users here?
Deusdies

Post by Deusdies »

Very nice. I used Mint 7 back in the time once, for like 15 minutes (just as a live CD). I remember liking it, but stuck with Debian and Ubuntu at that time.

The Ubuntu 10.04 started really pissing me off, and Canoncial started acting like a true corporation.

Even the RC version of Mint 9 is much more stable, looks better, works better, faster...

The only problem I have is with the indicator-applet. Weird, next to all those icons there's about 50px of free space in the applet, occupying the bottom gnome-panel, but I can't shorten it. I'm sure it's just some bug.

Also, how do I install LXDE and KDE on my gnome version of Mint 9?

Thanks

Return to “Releases & Announcements”