installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
svesmeralda

installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Post by svesmeralda »

Hi,

I am a new user of LinuxMint, though I have been using Ubuntu Linux for 3 years on a Toshiba Satellite. I also have a Dell Mini-9 that came with Ubuntu 8.04 on it. I was somewhat dissatisfied with the Dell version of Ubuntu so I have been trying to find something better. I did, it is Helena and it worked almost pefrectly out of the box. Since it does not have an optical drive I have been making live CD's on USB devices. I read in the installing tutorial for Isadora that it is preferred to burn to a CD. Is there any thing that I need to be aware of that may happen when using a USB device for the installation? I do have an external optical drive that I can use if needed. It is just not as convenient to use.

I am really impressed with the way almost everything just works with Mint. Thanks.

Jim :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Post by monkeyboy »

Hey Jim
I used Netbootin to burn Mint 9 (Gnome 64) to a flash drive and it worked just fine on the first try using the standard procedures. However it seemed to take a bit longer to load then I expected. Good luck hope it all works for you.
Monkeyboy
legendkiller

Re: installing LinuxMint from a USB device

Post by legendkiller »

i tried netbootin..............but my pc just doesn't pick it up even after tweaking my bios to boot from USB...

Return to “Installation & Boot”