Cannot install Mint 9 on Acer aspire One

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thesecitylights

Cannot install Mint 9 on Acer aspire One

Post by thesecitylights »

Hey guys,
I cant get the mint 9 disc to boot on my acer aspire one (netbook).

It boots up fine and loads with the little green dots and the mint logo but eventually it gives up and hangs there. Then the disc stops bothering to read anything.

I checked the MD5 hash before I burnt the ISO, and the disc boots fine on an old desktop but no luck on my netbook.

Any ideas?

I would rather upgrade my mint 8 to 9 without needing to use the disc but I know thats not ideal but with this bug (?) i will probably have to upgrade this way anyway, or just keep Mint 8 but I'd rather try mint 9 to see if it has fixed a problem I was having with my SD cards.

Any ideas are welcome,

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cannot install Mint 9 on Acer aspire One

Post by darethehair »

I don't know if it is related or not, but I reported something similar on my old Dell laptop:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p273791

It would be interesting to know where in the bootup sequence you are having trouble. Why not hit the 'escape' key while it is booting to follow the bootup in 'text' mode?

Strangely, I got a similar behavior with the latest Puppy distro (v5), even though it (also) works fine on my other PCs.
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
thesecitylights

Just read your post you linked to, I will do as you suggested and see where the boot disc is hanging and report back

EDIT:

Ok, so after pressing the ESC key while the booting screen comes up and I get the following:

"(Process:320): Glib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
stdin: error 0"

then the "stdin: error 0" error comes up like a hundred times or so and then I get this:

"dpkg -query: failed to open package in to file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' for reading: input/output error
usage: chpasswd (options)"

Then there are two options which I didnt write down. But one was something like --help or whatever.
However there is no way to actually type any text in. Then there are a whole load of other messages but the above is the first message of that batch. Then the disc stops spinning and reading and then nothing.
darethehair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darethehair »

Sorry to keep you hopping, but does your Acer Aspire One have an Intel video chip of the 8xx series? If so, you may want to follow the path that I used to work around the problem I had on my old Dell Inspiron:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 40#p276340

I would suggest searching Google for problems as you have described for yourself -- but mention your netbook (Acer Aspire One) and Ubuntu 10.04 (where the problem originates). Know what I mean?

Your error message text did not tell me anything really :( In my case, I strongly suspected that the boot sequence had mostly worked -- and the next major step was to start the Gnome desktop -- at which point I just had a 'black' screen -- suggesting a graphics driver problem (similar to you?).
There is nothing more dangerous than a bored cat.
thesecitylights

I've managed to sort the issue.

For whatever reason it was something to do with the CD version of mint not liking my system.

I downloaded the DVD version and burnt to dvd and it booted up fine. I guess that will be good enough for me as a work around, however I know have a fair few CDs of linux mint that I dont need. Might pass them out to friends and family to try out as this is definatly the best distro I've come across.

Thanks for your consideration in helping me fix the problem.
DrFaustus

Post by DrFaustus »

Had the exact same issue with two other machines, both the cd and dvd install. Had to use xforcevesa during boot, specifying VGA= modes didnt do squat. Oddly enough, checking to see if this happens with both DVI and VGA. Possible monitor giving bad mode info?
Bluebris

Post by Bluebris »

thesecitylights wrote:Just read your post you linked to, I will do as you suggested and see where the boot disc is hanging and report back

EDIT:

Ok, so after pressing the ESC key while the booting screen comes up and I get the following:

"(Process:320): Glib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
stdin: error 0"

then the "stdin: error 0" error comes up like a hundred times or so and then I get this:

"dpkg -query: failed to open package in to file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' for reading: input/output error
usage: chpasswd (options)"

Then there are two options which I didnt write down. But one was something like --help or whatever.
However there is no way to actually type any text in. Then there are a whole load of other messages but the above is the first message of that batch. Then the disc stops spinning and reading and then nothing.

I always get this error myself:

I have the same issue on a Toshiba Portege M100 (Centrino). It happens when i try to install any *buntu flavour of the 10.04 variety. I've tried ubuntu, lubuntu, peppermint, mint 9 rc, all exactly the same. CDs are all fine, checked md5sum and tried on other machines. 9.10 is always ok, but when i try to upgrade online it reboots at the end and i get the same error.
Would love some advice, don't want to be stuck with 9.10 forever.

For me, it happens after the bootsplash screen, so for example it starts the boot from cd, the distro name pops up, works for a bit, then the message comes up. Without fail.

Return to “Installation & Boot”