Linux Mint 9 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Linux Mint 9 released!

Post by clem »

The team is proud to announce the release of Linux Mint 9 “Isadora”. Linux Mint 9 “Isadora” New features at a glance: New Software Manager 30,000 packages Review applications straight from the Software Manager APT daemon Visual improvements New Backup Tool Incremental backups, compression, integrity checks Backup/Restoration of the software selection Menu improvements Editable items Transparent menu Always start with favorites “Add to” [...]
Read more: http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=1403
DanJ

Re: Linux Mint 9 released!

Post by DanJ »

Last edited by DanJ on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b1ackcr0w

Post by b1ackcr0w »

Congratulations on Mint 9 Release.

Can I just say... I didn't have the good fortune to know Husse. But it sounds like he was an excellent guy. I thought that the "Husse Quotes" feature in the Terminal was a really nice touch. Hopefully they will stay there for future releases. It would be cool if from time to time, newbies will ask "Who is Husse then?". It's nice to have some humanity built into your OS, so Kudos to you guys.

B1ackcr0w
BladeWS

Post by BladeWS »

Thanks for this realease! Good job everyone :D

I like the quotes in terminal by Husse. This version is deticated to him

/Cheers
Mr. Alex

Post by Mr. Alex »

DanJ wrote:Thank you!

Also thank you for listening to the feedback...
Yes, that is nice that Clement listens to community.

And congratulations on ninth Mint! It's LTS! :D
That means I probably will use it until it expires.
Lolo Uila
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lolo Uila »

b1ackcr0w wrote:Can I just say... I didn't have the good fortune to know Husse. But it sounds like he was an excellent guy.
Aw man, now I'm depressed again. I really miss him. :( And yes, he was a most excellent guy.

On a brighter note, I'm downloading the Mint9 ISO files and torrents to my NAS box which now has a full time (24/7) torrent server running. I've been seeding Mint8 for several weeks now, and Mint9 will be seeding soon (actually, it looks like the i386 DVD is already finished and seeding).

Aloha, Tim

EDIT: Okay, I'm now seeding the i386 & amd64 CD & DVD Mint9 iso files (md5 sums have all been verified).
linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-i386.iso
linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-i386.iso
linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso
linuxmint-9-gnome-dvd-amd64.iso

Here's an interesting note, based on how much I have seeded for Mint8 in the last few weeks this is the popularity rank:
#1. Mint8 GNOME (main edition) 4.69 GB
#2. Mint8 LXDE 3.21 GB
#3. Mint8 XFCE 1.94 GB
#4. Mint8 Fluxbox 1.45 GB
#5. Mint8 KDE is a distant last with only a few hundred KB seeded :(
Last edited by Lolo Uila on Tue May 18, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I personally would recommend the DVD download. And for those that think this is some 2.8GB download it is not - it's only 768MB - 13% bigger than the CD version. It's worth the extra few minutes of download time.

The only oddity about the installed packages is that 2 versions of java are installed - sun's and something called openjdk. If you browse through the menu you would think you are using Sun's java by default but you are not. It's easy to reset.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
squiddy

Post by squiddy »

altair4 wrote:I personally would recommend the DVD download. And for those that think this is some 2.8GB download it is not - it's only 768MB - 13% bigger than the CD version. It's worth the extra few minutes of download time.

The only oddity about the installed packages is that 2 versions of java are installed - sun's and something called openjdk. If you browse through the menu you would think you are using Sun's java by default but you are not. It's easy to reset.

what version did you just installed? DVD version? it has only sun java installed. if you find openjdk then you might probably installed a package from the repo that depends on it.

btw i have this issue on isaodra, overheat! i think it is upstream issue as it is also appears on lucid.

i have a question, i was using lucid, and the kernel is updated to 2.6.32.22. but on mint, the kernel update doesn't show up on the update manager. so it sticks to 2.6.32.21. why?
mintymintminty
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mintymintminty »

I just want to say a VERY big thank you to everyone involved in making this release, It is fantastic THANK YOU 8) 8) 8)
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

Similar to the upgrade path posted here for 7 -> 8, will this work for upgrading 8 -> 9 ?
Upgrading from the command line (faster):

Open a terminal and type the following commands:

* gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list (Change all occurrences of “helena” to “isadora”, and all occurences of “karmic” to “lucid”, remove the lines for the Community section of the Linux Mint repository, then save the file and close the editor)
* apt update
* apt install mint-info-main (choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)
* apt install mint-meta-main(choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)

In the terminal, repeat the following commands until both upgrade commands show no upgrades available:

* apt upgrade
* apt dist-upgrade
* apt install mint-meta-main
deleted

Post by deleted »

Wahooo!!!.. just installed the rc this morning on my development pc... It took about 10 minutes... now I'll apply the upgrade.
-Hinto
timber

Post by timber »

A very sincere THANKS to all who have made this release a reality!

The timing of this release of my favorite OS could not be better.
I'm getting a new laptop this week and my current laptop will be getting a fresh install of Linux Mint 9.

Looking forward to getting the older laptop set up with the latest and greatest so it's still a top notch, easy to use and fully functional machine.
LM9 will also be going on the new laptop as a dual boot or within VirtualBox ... haven't decided yet.

Thanks again for all the hard work on this!!

Dave
vassilianna

Post by vassilianna »

OMG i just saw it! But page linuxmint.com isn't loading right now! Too much traffic maybe? ;) Woooo! Let's mint!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

squiddy wrote:what version did you just installed? DVD version? it has only sun java installed. if you find openjdk then you might probably installed a package from the repo that depends on it.
This is a new DVD install nothing added yet. I have both java's installed.

When I do a

Code: Select all

sudo update-alternatives --config java
I get this:
There are 2 choices for the alternative java (providing /usr/bin/java).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
* 0 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 auto mode
1 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java 1061 manual mode
2 /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 63 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: 2
You also have to remove the IcedTea plugin from Firefox.
Like I said, easy enough to fix.

EDIT: That's assuming you consider moving from openjdk to sun's java a "fix"
:wink:
Last edited by altair4 on Tue May 18, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
squiddy

Post by squiddy »

Code: Select all

squiddy@squiddy-laptop ~ $ sudo update-alternatives --config java
[sudo] password for squiddy: 
There is only one alternative in link group java: /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java
Nothing to configure.
i got this. hmm weird :P

fortunately they're easy to fix :D
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

[begin=hugs to individual Mint Team members]

Thank you .... thank you .... thank you. Great job, guys.

[/end hugs]
Daft Fooker

Post by Daft Fooker »

Just finished installing fresh copy of Mint 9 to replace version 8 on my HP NX9005 Laptop all went smoothly.
Looking really polished great job guys :D
Nexus

Post by Nexus »

Woot! Finishing setting back up after a clean install at the moment. Looks good feels goods, only issue was getting ti to play nice with my video card so I could even get the desktop up to start with, but hey that's not your fault. Hope to see many more quality releases from the Linux Mint Team!
Dupo

Post by Dupo »

Once again, Great Job to Clem and the Team !!!! :wink:

well, as I said on the blog, what about the remasterisation tool to localize iso files in a language (for example : french or spanish or german, etc.) ?

Have you got a release date for this tool ?

thanks in advance. :wink:
GhoS

Post by GhoS »

They had said there would not be a direct upgrade path using terminal or GUI. The best suggestion is to download the backup tool first (located on the software page or through synaptic/terminal). Run that tool as it can backup your /home folder and your installed software.
Install Mint 9 and use the tool to restore your settings and software. I haven't yet done this since I'm waiting for the KDE release, but it should work much better (less bugs) than the terminal upgrade path.
markfiend wrote:Similar to the upgrade path posted here for 7 -> 8, will this work for upgrading 8 -> 9 ?
Upgrading from the command line (faster):

Open a terminal and type the following commands:

* gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list (Change all occurrences of “helena” to “isadora”, and all occurences of “karmic” to “lucid”, remove the lines for the Community section of the Linux Mint repository, then save the file and close the editor)
* apt update
* apt install mint-info-main (choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)
* apt install mint-meta-main(choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)

In the terminal, repeat the following commands until both upgrade commands show no upgrades available:

* apt upgrade
* apt dist-upgrade
* apt install mint-meta-main

Return to “Releases & Announcements”