Install and uninstall the XFCE meta package?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mikhou

Install and uninstall the XFCE meta package?

Post by mikhou »

Many thanks to vrkala and to MALsPA for their comments on another post, but I wanted to see if anybody else could help answer this. I want to try out XFCE, and I'd like to just add the XFCE meta package to my Gnome installation. However, if I find later that I would prefer to stick with Gnome, can I just uninstall the meta package and get back to my original Gnome install? Thanks.

mikhou
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joec
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install and uninstall the XFCE meta package?

Post by joec »

yes. i have done this with Mint 7 in the past.

there might be a config file or two left behind but they won't affect anything.

it isn't necessary unless you are worried about hard disk space.
vrkalak

Re: Install and uninstall the XFCE meta package?

Post by vrkalak »

You can install the Xfce Package over your Gnome desktop, then choose which to 'open' at the Log-in.

If you decide you don't like Xfce ... then never click into the Xfce session/desktop again. It won't harm anything, if it stays there.

I've done this before, and have never experienced any problems.
You don't have to 'remove' the Xfce Package is you don't like it ... just leave it alone.
Your original Gnome desktop, will not be changed ... everything in Gnome remains the same.

BUT ... you will love the Xfce Desktop Environment so much better than Gnome. Everybody does. :P

Checkout some of the other Linux Distros with Xfce as default. While you're waiting for Mint-9 Xfce CE to be released.
I have downloaded, installed and tested every Distro that uses Xfce, over my time in Linux ... Mint is one of the best.

Return to “Xfce”