Nvidia 6150LE - can't see Mint 9 past live cd boot...

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gogglesnteeth
Level 1
Level 1

Nvidia 6150LE - can't see Mint 9 past live cd boot...

Post by gogglesnteeth »

Help!!
Ok, so i'm a noob, but that's why I'm here in the support forums.

I have an older HP Desktop that dual boots Mint 8 and works just fine. Nvidia 615le graphics card, AMD processor, 2 gig ram.... more than enough to get what I need done. I downloaded the ISO and burnt it to a DVD and when I boot from it, I can't see anything past the first boot screen asking me to start linux, start linux in compatability mode, mem test, etc... after that, screen goes black and I don't see a thing!

Same problem when I tried to boot a live cd of Ubuntu 10.4

Thoughts??? Any help would be most appreciated!
Blue Ones!
GnT
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Nvidia 6150LE - can't see Mint 9 past live cd boot...

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome To Linux Mint
Maybe this will work,Try the fix in this How To Post HERE = http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=40876

Hope this helps, Have a Good Day.
distrohopper

Post by distrohopper »

For LM9 and Ubuntu 10.04, the problem is usually caused by the new KMS (kernel mode setting) module in the kernel.

When you boot the CD, press 'e' to edit the first boot option. Use the arrow keys and move down to the 'kernel' line. That is the one that has the 'quiet splash' options. (the line may wrap, press end to get to the end of the line). Add 'nomodeset' (do not use quotes).

If this works, you will want to make the change permanent.. so once you have Mint installed and reboot, follow the above instructions again (for this time only). then:

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
look for this line:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
change it to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="nomodeset"
then run:

sudo update-grub
Hopefully this solves your problem. Good luck.
gogglesnteeth
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gogglesnteeth »

:D :D :D :D

Thank you for the help! These instructions worked!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SageX

Post by SageX »

I was having a modprobe failure when trying to startup the livecd of Isadora on a Radeon 9200 Pro card (older system for media box), these instructions worked perfectly and now I have Mint installed, much say I am glad I didn't have to go with another distro, I am loving Mint. Thanks a bunch for the help! :D
junkman51

Post by junkman51 »

I tried that on my Compaq Presario SR2037X with onboard NVIDIA GeFORCE 6150, wanting to do a clean install of Mint 9 on a replacement hard drive.

The part about booting from the Main edition DVD worked great and I was able to install Mint 9.

Then I rebooted from the new install on the hard drive and couldn't get the boot menu to appear again in any way, shape or form.

I could only see things on the monitor when I booted from the DVD and did the "nomodeset" addition.

I was unable to successfully change the /etc/default/grub file on the hard drive and it refused to update-grub.

Is there something really obvious that I'm missing?

I did some junkpile archeology and came up with a couple of PCI video cards to try - a vintage 1994 TSENG wasn't recognized, but the vintage 1996 Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 with S3 Virge chip was recognized and worked.

What I find a bit strange is that the last custom desktop that I bought new 4 years ago has a separate PCIE NVIDEA GeForce 6200 and the live DVD boots up fine.

Maybe I will try as an experiment putting the PCIE NVIDEA card in the Compaq temporarily and see what happens.
junkman51

Post by junkman51 »

Update - the temporary install of the NVIDEA 6200 PCIE did the trick.

I was able to boot from the hard drive and do the modifications to grub and then ran the update-grub.

Then I shut the computer down, removed the PCIE card, and it's been booting happily ever after.

Thanks for the information, distrohopper - it worked great and if ever happens again, I have a much better idea how to handle it.
edsned

Post by edsned »

Distrohopper...

really sorry, complete novice here...

the nomodeset fix worked on the LiveUSB a treat - now that I've installed Mint 9 on the hard drive, I'm struggling to follow your instructions to do the next bit ie make the fix permanent.

When I press 'e' to edit, I get a screen where I can see a number of lines, one of which includes the quiet splash phrase. do I add nomodeset here too? and then where to I type in the next line you suggest? ("sudo...")

As I said, apologies, complete novice

thanks
junkman51

Post by junkman51 »

I just installed Mint 10 on the Compaq tower with the ancient PCI video card in place, changed Grub the exact same way, shut down, removed the ancient video card, rebooted with the internal video, and installed the Nvidia driver.

It works fine with Mint 10.
RonC

Post by RonC »

distrohopper wrote:For LM9 and Ubuntu 10.04, the problem is usually caused by the new KMS (kernel mode setting) module in the kernel.
:D Thanks to distrohopper. After two years, the advice is still 'right on'.

Seems this problem has been around for a long time, and without exact instructions as to where to put the fix, you'll never figure out what to do. It's still here on release 12 (Lisa). I wonder about 13??

The problem here, a frozen desktop, without icons, that needs a hard reset. Apparently it's caused by an ASUS EAH5450 Silent graphics card. For this one, I used radeon.modeset=0 .

:?: To the developers, isn't there any way of detecting a graphics incompatibility during boot and applying the patch? Reason: this could be a real turn-off for first time, non-technical Mint users.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

RonC wrote:
distrohopper wrote:For LM9 and Ubuntu 10.04, the problem is usually caused by the new KMS (kernel mode setting) module in the kernel.
:D Thanks to distrohopper. After two years, the advice is still 'right on'.

Seems this problem has been around for a long time, and without exact instructions as to where to put the fix, you'll never figure out what to do. It's still here on release 12 (Lisa). I wonder about 13??

The problem here, a frozen desktop, without icons, that needs a hard reset. Apparently it's caused by an ASUS EAH5450 Silent graphics card. For this one, I used radeon.modeset=0 .

:?: To the developers, isn't there any way of detecting a graphics incompatibility during boot and applying the patch? Reason: this could be a real turn-off for first time, non-technical Mint users.
Please post this a new question if it is still a problem - unlikely it will be seen tacked onto the end of such an old thread
RonC

Post by RonC »

RonC wrote: :D Thanks to distrohopper. After two years, the advice is still 'right on'. ...
:oops: Sorry, I now see the post wasn't crystal clear. I wasn't reporting a problem, I was thanking distrohopper for his solution. I like to search first when I have a problem, and then try the advice to see if it works.

For those who come across the thread through a search, it could be helpful to know this two-year-old solution is still needed for, and still working on current Mint versions. Maybe distrohopper is still following, and will see it??

By "the advice is still 'right on', I meant to say, I did exactly what was posted (yes, it was posted all of two years ago!) and my problem was solved. I was surprised that the problem has been recurring for that long, and concerned about the effect of two years of failed boots may have on prospective mint users. That was the reason for the suggestion following the question mark.

I realize this doesn't happen to everyone, but only to those who are 'lucky' enough to have the 'right' graphics cards. It's not just with old cards. My card wasn't even in production when the solution was written.

Thanks also to Oscar799 for keeping a close watch on the forum and steering us in the right direction. :D

Return to “Graphics Cards & Monitors”