Windows Program Files and Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
premio53

Windows Program Files and Wine

Post by premio53 »

I have installed several Windows programs which only give the option of installing to C:\Program Files. I can access them through a Windows file manager using WINE but can't copy or paste to the folder. The folder doesn't show up with the Mint file manager. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Windows Program Files and Wine

Post by Pierre »

I generally use the program " GNOME Commander" to view/ copy/ modify - etc these hidden files.

Since the introduction of Crossover V9 from Codeweavers, I have had some good success's
in running various M$ based software under Mint / Ubuntu & other Debian O/Ss.

There are many clones of the venerable 'Norton Commander' of which GNOME Commander is one,
Total Commander is another, Midnight Commander is another & also is available under 'nix.

I use GNOME Commander, quite a bit, as it is better than 'BSC' which is also available under 'nix.
bsc (BeeSoft Commander) is a graphical file manager (similar to the midnight
commander) that displays two directories at once for easier copying and moving
of files.
GNOME Commander is a fast and powerful graphical filemanager for the GNOME
desktop environment, it has a "two-pane" interface in the tradition of
Norton and Midnight Commander.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
premio53

Post by premio53 »

The only problem is even Gnome Commander will not show the Windows program that was supposedly installed to C:\Program Files. The windows file managers I use show it but I can't copy or past to that folder.
Brian49

Post by Brian49 »

If you go to your /home directory in Nautilus and hit Ctrl+H to show hidden folders and files, there should be a .wine folder. If you open that and then open the folder named dosdevices, you should find a folder for the C:\ drive which you can open in turn. If none of this works on your system, there's something wrong with your Wine installation.
premio53

Post by premio53 »

I finally figured out how to do it. I simply went to "Browse C: Drive" and that allowed me to access it. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Software & Applications”