Windows in Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Windows in Linux?

Post by T J Tulley »

I have read that software exists which enables a Windows-like environment to be installed in a Linux system. Does this apply to Mint/Bianca?

If so, does it help with transfer problems? In particular, could I run msimn.exe from it, to open Outlook Express?

How can I download and install it?

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 900i »

Virtualbox is the way to go.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks - I've downloaded it (all 2.8 kB!) to Desktop and moved it to Downloads. It's an Archive and Archive Manager can't open it. In Windows I'd use Stuffit - what here?
With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
dswaim91
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dswaim91 »

It's not an archive file. It is a mint file. Just click on it and let it do the rest! :D
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks dswalm91 - 2 files downloaded - 1 is an archive, the other is a package of 11.8 MB which has been installing for about an hour - Package Manager doesn't show a progress bar & could do with one. I think the archive is documentation and I shall need it.

AdobeReader similarly came with 2 installation files - one an RPM package, the other a tar archive. I can't get either to work. I've installed various plugins from the Install Software facility, including tar. RPM showed a warning so I didn't mark that; there were various others apparently related to RPM which I did download and install.

Any ideas?
Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

T J Tulley wrote:AdobeReader similarly came with 2 installation files - one an RPM package, the other a tar archive.
You are sure to have downloaded of Linux Mint Software Portal as msgnomer said it to you ? :roll:

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/

You should have a .mint file, not tar or RPM! It is enough to click on the file to launch the installation. Very easy.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks Linuxviolin.

I have done the downloads again from Linuxmint.com/software and although they are named as mint files, the actual downloads are gzip archives - I downloaded both Acrobat Reader and also PDFedit as an alternative.

VitualBox also downloaded as a mint file but that too is in a gzip archive. I need software to unzip these.

Please can you suggest a suitable tool?
Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks again - sorry I'm dim. This is a new environment. Yes - it is Bianca Light now with a lot of updates and additions - evidently not enough.

I can't find /etc/apt/sources.list - I've opened Software Sources in the All Programs list in Bianca (aka Start) but that doesn't help.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Indeed if you use Bianca the .mint files are not useful, you must use Cassandra.

I strongly advise you to use Cassandra, with a fresh install or, if you prefer (but really not advised), try an upgrade:

http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _Cassandra
We strongly recommend Fresh installs
I guess that it is best than you can make. It is always preferable to use the last versions of the distribs, moreover by doing that these problems will disappear. :wink:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Thanks a lot. Consternation!

If I do a fresh install of Cassandra, how can I import into that all the stuff I've accumulated in Bianca? The only place I can put Cassandra is either in a new partition on a new 500 GB SATA HDD not yet installed, or in a 69 GB extended partition in my "Images" HDD - at present Primary EIDE slave.

Then what about booting? I guess I need to install Grub on a floppy - how do I go about that?

Yes, I've Bookmarked its Manual - it's daunting! This whole episode is interruption to a very busy programme - and I'm 88.

BTW, I've just posted another question in this forum on topic Networking - that may be relevant to this discussion.

With many thanks,

Yours sincerely, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

And what about backup of your personal data? Maybe on an external drive. Then after you format your drives, install Cassandra and copy/paste your data. For Grub, with a fresh install, no problem. It will be on the MBR.

Of course with a Fresh install you loose all your installed applications and system settings but you will be able to reinstall all that afterwards, even if that can take a little time. You will have a clean, up to date system and you will be able to use all its functionalities, like the .mint files for example, without problems.

I ensure you that it is the best solution and simplest! :)

If really you do not wish absolutely to do that, perhaps try to add in /etc/apt/sources.list the Cassandra repository:

Code: Select all

deb http://www.linuxmint.com/repository cassandra/
Then reload Synaptic and you should see mintinstall. Maybe you can install it in Bianca without problem.... Just maybe. :?
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Post by T J Tulley »

Please say: is the Upgrade which is offered every time Updates are installed when I log on at the beginning of the day, the same as Cassandra - or is it a later version of Bianca?

I'm having trouble with downloads - yesterday I started installing the package virtualbox and the package manager ran for several hours - eventually I quit - receiving a warning message.

Now I've just tried to install a small package supporting networking from Install Software, and Synaptic Package Manager produces an Error box saying:
E: The package virtualbox needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
E: Internal error opening cache (1). Please report.
How do I report this?

Just before that, it suggested a command line, but I copied it and Terminal refused to accept a Paste. I had forgotten the line and can't get back to it.

Your reply about backup et c. has come in while I'm typing this - as I said yesterday: I can't find /etc/apt/sources.list - where do I go for that?

Yours hopefully, -

Theo Tulley.

tj.tulley@physics.org
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Return to “Beginner Questions”