Noob coming back...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shugs81

Noob coming back...

Post by shugs81 »

Ola Chaps.... and Chappettes :wink:

I first discovered mint around version 3 and quite liked it... only used it temporarily while deciding what to go for... I'm a fairly basic user when it comes to linux... used fedora first then onto ubuntu then mint and back to ubunt... wasn't too much support back then...

Looking to keep the install as small as possible... thinking if i can get ffado working possibly using it to record music... with midi etc...

Also looking to have it as a media centre too... Planning to ISO my dvd's... any idea's of programs that will do it (rip DVD's) and then something to play them too... or at least some sort of ISO mounter to play them that way...

Any advice would be much appreciated... I also heard you can run steam on linux???? is this tru!!! if so then widows is getting binned forever!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendall

Re: Noob coming back...

Post by Kendall »

Welcome back.

There probably won't be too much difference with the install footprint between the editions so that much probably won't be an issue.

I know that Steam is working on a Linux port, but I don't think it's done just yet.
mmesantos1

Post by mmesantos1 »

Here is some good info for Steam on Linux: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki ... nder_Linux
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

I use dvd::rip and am satisfied with it. It's available in the Software Manager.
shugs81

Post by shugs81 »

cheers!! i'll give it a try once i get the damn wifi working... tried the tutorial but it still doesnt run... it came with a driver but I can't remember how to do it!! lol!! it's a realtek usb stick....

Which desktop do people reccomend?? i've used KDE and Gnome... looking for something nice and light... but still useable... i've looked into xfce or whatever it's called... what's LXDE??

i'm running 64bit versions due to 6 gig Ram :twisted: :mrgreen:

any reccomendations?
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you must have a 64bit OS, your only choices for Mint are KDE and Gnome. The Xfce, LXDE, and Fluxbox Mint builds aren't available in 64-bit.
shugs81

Post by shugs81 »

ah well... will stick with those i suppose!!! solves that one!

Return to “Beginner Questions”