Make your own Multiboot disk

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dawgdoc

Make your own Multiboot disk

Post by dawgdoc »

I read on Distrowatch of a script which allows you to make your own multiboot cd/dvd using iso files and a few other types of images. I plan to use this to combine some of the utility/rescue discs I carry with me. (SystemrescueCD, Parted Magic, Clonezilla, and Ultimate Boot CD)

From the Multicd.sh project's homepage:
multicd.sh is a shell script designed to build a multiboot CD image containing many different Linux distributions and/or utilities.
The avantages to making a CD with this script are:
* You don't need to burn multiple CDs for small distributions.
* If you already have the ISO images, it is not necessary to download them again.
* When a new version of one of the distributions is released, you can simply download the new version and run the script again to build a new multiboot image.
There is a long list of supported distributions. Mint is second on the list, just below Ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
slider
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Make your own Multiboot disk

Post by slider »

Thanx for posting this dawgdoc!

First that I've heard of it.
"In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Mark Twain
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

I tried and tested this script today. I was able to create a Multiboot disc containing 4 distros:
Clozilla
Parted Magic
SystemRescueCD
Ultmate Boot CD

I booted into each and navigated a few menus. All seems in order.
I looks like I have room to add RIPLinuX into the Multiboot combo. I may do this in a few.

I may even get bold and see if I can modify the script to include a distro not currently included. It will all be cut, paste, edit and compare, I do not know coding.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

This sounds like a distro-hopper's dream.

You could fit quite a few of the smaller distros on a DVD.
cableguy

Post by cableguy »

Funny, I looked all over google and the answer was under my nose here. Just made my first multi boot cd! Very cool!
mick55

Post by mick55 »

slider wrote:Thanx for posting this dawgdoc!
+1

I was preparing to make a multiboot disk and this will simplify the process for me.

cheers
mick
nono

Post by nono »

Thanks for sharing this information. I will try it.

Just a bit of information i like to share, you could also make a multiboot usb flash drive.
Gara3987

Post by Gara3987 »

I came across ULTILEX, which is a multiboot CD. Also there is a tutorial on how to modify and create your own from scratch.

Return to “Chat about Linux”