Does Mint need more additional repos?

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maduranga
Level 1
Level 1

Does Mint need more additional repos?

Post by maduranga »

I'm using Cassandra and it seems most restricted packages are installed by the default. And also codecs, totem-xine,mplayer, nVidia drivers and etc. I have used ubuntu before and, after an installation it requires to edit the sources list to add repos for most packages i need wich are installed by default in Mint. Now my question is, do i need to edit sources list of Mint also? I have added the Medibuntu repos for in ubuntu to get most of multimedia packages. though these packages are installed by the default, still do i need to edit and add repos? if i want, what repos should i add? if i don't want, will latest updates of packages that installed on my pc be available automatically?

Maduranga.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

You shouldn't have to add any repos. That can screw up your system with mixed files and different package versions. Mint should have everything you need in the repos or installed by default. That was part of the reason for Linux Mint. On the downside, if you install a package from an outside source such as a downloaded deb or rpm, it will not be updated since it is not in the repos. You will have to update them manually by installing the latest version as they become available from their developers.
sanguinemoon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sanguinemoon »

I agree with 67GTA. I cringe a bit when I see new users being told to just add a whole bunch of third party repos they know nothing about. In Mint, I see no reason too.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

You should not add others repositories. That can be really dangerous. There are certain Ubuntu users who have an impressive number of repositories, it is incredible and irresponsible (sorry but it's true). And they are astonished when problems arrive... :twisted:

In Mint you have all repositories necessary. You must be very attentive at repositories that you add, be really sure about the sources and add the least possible.

I do not say that you must absolutely nothing add but again add the least possible and only if it is absolutely necessary and that it is a source of confidence. :roll:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Other topics”