Acer Aspire One with Helena/Fluxbox CE - Mac-like trackpad?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mailman1175

Acer Aspire One with Helena/Fluxbox CE - Mac-like trackpad?

Post by mailman1175 »

Just curious: Is there a way to enable, on my Acer Aspire One, the two-finger scroll and right-click behavior that Macs use? I switch back and forth between the AAO and my MacBook pretty regularly, and it'd be cool to have the same pointer behavior... 8)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: Acer Aspire One with Helena/Fluxbox CE - Mac-like trackp

Post by bobcollard »

mailman1175 wrote:Just curious: Is there a way to enable, on my Acer Aspire One, the two-finger scroll and right-click behavior that Macs use? I switch back and forth between the AAO and my MacBook pretty regularly, and it'd be cool to have the same pointer behavior... 8)
I'm not sure of your equipment's capabilities. You might try gpointing-device-settings, an applet you can install from Synaptic. It has better control over a pointing device than most systems. After installing it use Startup Applications to run it at bootup or terminal to run it otherwise.

Code: Select all

sudo gpointing-device-settings
mailman1175

Post by mailman1175 »

I see that I have the xserver-xorg-input-synaptics driver installed. That driver technically has all the capabilities I'm looking for on the hardware that I have, but I don't know where the config file is, nor how to configure it correctly. I'm used to GNOME, where I had a rich GUI front-end for mouse config. Simple Mouse is... well, it's simple. I appreciate the thorough work to make lightweight applications for Fluxbox CE (w00t, kendall!), but in this case, it's not quite enough.

**Edit**

I should be more specific: I would normally edit the xorg.conf file, as that's where the synaptics driver settings are normally kept. But it's not in /etc/X11/, and the only thing Catfish turns up matching xorg.conf is a .gz file in /usr/share/.

So the question is, how do I go about manually editing mouse behavior in Fluxbox?
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

The newer versions of xorg can run without a config file. If it does not find /etc/X11/xorg.conf it automatically configures the hardware. To make xorg use your configs instead of the automatic ones, create the xorg.conf file and add the configurations you want in the file. Any configs that are not defined in the file will fall back to the default (automatic) ones.

Return to “Software & Applications”