How to Remove software Installed from Source Code

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Please give a moments thought to what you do!
Do not post a question with the subject beginning with
"how to" in the "how to" forum
Moved to general help
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

I hav nstalld lots of softwaes fromsource code...i dont even remember what i hav installed...i want to remove them...they dont appear in synaptic..
I assume you still have the folders in your home directory?

If you know the name of the program you have installed, "cd program", then " sudo make uninstall"
and, if you want " make clean"

Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

I do not know of such a command, but "most" , not all could be in usr/local/bin

Try
cd /usr/local/bin
ls

There "might" be some in /usr/local/games

Nick
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to Remove software Installed from Source Code

Post by scorp123 »

loneowais wrote:they dont appear in synaptic..
Of course not. You installed them outside of Synaptic's control. *That* is precisely why people should install things via package managers :wink:

If you insist on compiling your own stuff (but why oh why??) then you should consider to use something like checkinstall which will create a deb package out of what you compiled. So instead of the usual

Code: Select all

./configure
make
make install
... you'd use:

Code: Select all

./configure
make
checkinstall 
... and that would then ask you a few typical questions about the package (all the usual infos you usually find in a package, e.g. who the author is, what the version is, a short description and so on) and then create it for you. I am not sure if it installs it automatically too .... Just watch the messages that scroll by. If it doesn't install them automatically then checkinstall should tell you where it did put the finished package. You can still install it via "sudo dpkg -i ...." from there.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

loneowais wrote:I would like to have a command which shows me a list of installd software from source...
This isn't Gentoo :wink:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

And here the "official" Debian-way to deal with source packages:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-h ... ng.en.html
Husse

Post by Husse »

I believe it is

and DON'T POST SPAM
it will be deleted immediately without notice
Husse

Post by Husse »

I only see a kind of community - not a Mint one. But you are right in the sense that people can post links to youtube and such so I'll let the link be there

Return to “Other topics”