Weather app sucks. How about Accuweather's free download?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
Nick_Djinn

Re: Weather app sucks. How about Accuweather's free download

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Multiple users are saying that the app doesnt work. Thasts more objective than just my opinion. The program is at least buggy if it really does work at all for a 5 day forecast. Multiple users confirm that the program isnt working, including 1 from this thread.
I think most users will feel the same - give me a weather applet that stays unobtrusive until I want to see it, then it should show me what I want. The default panel applet does that for me.
In that regard the two applets are identical. They take up about the same amount of space, and depending on how you customize it it will not show up unless you want it to. It takes about an inch to 2 inches in the top right but only if you click on it. otherwise its a 3mm icon on your top panel or in a drawer in that panel....tiny, unobtrusive, small, good looking and compact.

If you are having a problem getting it to do that for you, why not request assistance in solving that problem instead of condemning the applet and suggesting it be replaced.
The problem with this app is not unique to me. The app itself seems buggy....This could be a program that is unique to newer versions from Mint-8 onward....it could be a compatibility issue maybe.....maybe looking at how to fix this would expose a deeper program with compatibility and dependency....

Asking for help on this forum has been a little hit or miss. I could try the Ubuntu forums.

If I did find a workaround for this problem, unless the developers of the program got involved (I dont know who they are), the program would likely still be buggy for most users.

But I thought this was a board for suggestions. I am not issuing an executive order commanding you to make changes. I am offering a suggestion. The default app isnt working right....and not just for me. Its a fairly objective observation. Saying it looks nicer is my opinion, but I have a right to voice opinions I think. Some of this nitpicking seems like an odd response to a humble suggestion.
Yeah, sorry, Nick, I'm another one who doesn't like the big, graphical weather displays on the desktop.
It doesnt taike up any more space than the last one. Only difference is that users are not experiencing the same bugs or lack of forcast.

In my opinion, the google and chrome weather browsers are way more obtrusive because they are taking up space on the browser, and you cant 1 click them away.

If the current app got working I would be fine with that, but I dont know who would be in charge of fixing that. A personal fix seems inferior if other users will continue to have this problem.

Also, if I was a dev, which I am not....Just because not everyone uses the damn thing wouldnt in my opinion be a good reason not to choose one that was more buggy, for those who do want to use it. I would be most interested in the opinions of people who actually use it and have tried both.
Last edited by Nick_Djinn on Wed May 26, 2010 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

While I personally have found a replacement for the buggy default web-app, one that doesnt take up any more space than the old one.it is pretty similar actually.... I am willing to run with the counter suggestion.

How do we get this default web-app working for myself and others who it also isnt working for? After the fix is found, how does one submit that information to the people who can patch it?

Even though I dont personally need it, I would like to know how to get the default app working properly. I follwed all the instructions and there isnt anything left to try without hacking the program.

So how how do we fix the old one?
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Nick_Djinn,

Glad you found something that works for you.

You make some valid points about the default app. I never had a problem with it, but others apparently have. This app is not from the Mint development team, it is an upstream item . I don't offhand know now far upstream it is. Could be Ubuntu, could be beyond.

What that basically means is the Mint team can only pass the report on and hope a fix comes down. The Mint dev team is too small to attempt to deal with bugs in other people's software while trying to get all versions of Mint 9 ready for release.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Nick_Djinn wrote:
Yeah, sorry, Nick, I'm another one who doesn't like the big, graphical weather displays on the desktop.
It doesnt taike up any more space than the last one. Only difference is that users are not experiencing the same bugs or lack of forcast.

In my opinion, the google and chrome weather browsers are way more obtrusive because they are taking up space on the browser, and you cant 1 click them away.

No problem, man. I prefer my weather apps in my web browser. You don't. Cool. Hope the issues get fixed for you.
Nick_Djinn

Post by Nick_Djinn »

Its already been fixed for me, and I thought I would be helpful by sharing my experience. Of course I am not twisting anyones arm to take my advice.

The applet takes up the same amount of space on the panel, and when you click on it its actually SMALLER than the default, but its more efficient. It has prettier icons and the 5 day weather forecast works for everyone and appears to be less buggy. Maybe you dont use either app, but a working app is better than one that nobody knows how to fix, on this site at least. Its smaller, less buggy, prettier, and gives you the full 5 day forcast.

Its fixed for me, but I thought it would be helpful and give a humble suggestion on the SUGGESTION board. Mint cant fix this app but a replacement seems easy. It could come in the form of an update.

A suggestion seems harmless enough. Its not like I insulted your mother, unless she wrote the program. This board is specifically for suggestions. Where does someone get off making snide remarks about how the team doesnt have time to listen to peoples suggestions? Its rude and borderline trolling/harassment. Its bring the community down when its populated with posters like this.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Nick, you're right, there's nothing wrong with making a suggestion.
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

Nick_Djinn wrote:The default weather app sucks. It says forcast but there is no forcast. Its just the current temperature....could be useful if you were underground, but it lacks the functionality of a true forcast. I can look outside to see if its raining. I can figure out if its hot or cold. I want to know if its going to be raining later when i go out, or have that in front of me for when I make plans.

Accuweather.com has an awesome weather browser that tells you the high and low and current and 3 to 5 days in advance in detail. Its the best weather app for linux I have seen in the form of a simple widget.

How about making that the default instead of the unknown upgrade?
Adobe Air won't install on my system. Claims it "can't write the application to the hard disk. Make sure the hard disk is available and try again". Obviously, the hard disk is available, or I wouldn't be using this computer. *rolls eyes*. Oh well...

But I was just curious anyway. If I want to know what the weather is like, I look outside. Forecasts beyond a couple of days are pretty much useless here anyway...
FedoraRefugee

Post by FedoraRefugee »

jlr1701 wrote:
Nick_Djinn wrote:The default weather app sucks. It says forcast but there is no forcast. Its just the current temperature....could be useful if you were underground, but it lacks the functionality of a true forcast. I can look outside to see if its raining. I can figure out if its hot or cold. I want to know if its going to be raining later when i go out, or have that in front of me for when I make plans.

Accuweather.com has an awesome weather browser that tells you the high and low and current and 3 to 5 days in advance in detail. Its the best weather app for linux I have seen in the form of a simple widget.

Adobe Air won't install on my system. Claims it "can't write the application to the hard disk. Make sure the hard disk is available and try again". Obviously, the hard disk is available, or I wouldn't be using this computer. *rolls eyes*. Oh well...

But I was just curious anyway. If I want to know what the weather is like, I look outside. Forecasts beyond a couple of days are pretty much useless here anyway...

I hear that on a real clear day just up the road in Wasilla you can even see right into your neighbor's windows! :roll:
jlr1701

Post by jlr1701 »

FedoraRefugee wrote:
jlr1701 wrote:

I hear that on a real clear day just up the road in Wasilla you can even see right into your neighbor's windows! :roll:
Yes! The Siberian wilderness is beautiful!! :roll:
maxweis1

Post by maxweis1 »

if you are using Firefox browser, just google to add on Accuweather app. for Firefox.

It downloads and installs it very nicely in Firefox's browser.

Be sure to right click on the location and put in your zip code or location.

Also has a map of your area, hourly forecast, 5-day forecast, and more...

You are done. :D

Return to “Suggestions & Feedback”