stamp collecting and IT-microchip on stamp

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
mehmet7

stamp collecting and IT-microchip on stamp

Post by mehmet7 »

Hey all,
I just happen to be a fascinated stamp collector, a lot of people might think that hobby is a bit old fashioned in times of high speed IT development but anyway...
While I was screening the net about IT/ computer related stamps to get some ideas for my collection, I stumbled about this excellent website by a guy from South Africa where he presents his own collection regarding that field. This is the link: http://wvegter.hivemind.net/
If there should be any interest I might also upload some stamp images related to computers/IT technology from my own collection and the www.
Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 15 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mehmet7

Computer Pioneer Konrad Zuse to be honored with stamp

Post by mehmet7 »

Hey all, here is the image of a German stamp, dedicated to the computer pioneer Konrad Zuse, it will be released on June 10th.
He developed world's first functional program-controlled Turing-complete computer, more information about him can be found here:

http://www.zib.de/zuse/English_Version/index.html (papers, programs etc.)

http://www.epemag.com/zuse/ ( bio, compiled by his son)

It is not really visible on this scan but the pixels composing Zuse`s image are made out of the binary code`s digits 1 and 0 .
Cheers
Last edited by mehmet7 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mehmet7

USPS computer stamp

Post by mehmet7 »

Short add-on: image of a stamp issued by the United States Postal Service on Computer Technology back in 1996 "linking" circuits and the human brain...
ctech.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT- stamp honors computer pioneer Z

Post by mehmet7 »

Yet another stamp, featuring not so much computers itself but an interesting artistic depiction of the transformation of physical mail into electronical mail, issued by Moldavia.
Moldova pc.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT-computer pioneers/ new IT stamps

Post by mehmet7 »

And here is the image of a Soviet stamp, showing the combination of punched cards used as recording medium in early digital computers together with a more "modern" model-but remember this stamp was issued in 1986! still hope it can reflect the historical development!
ussr-stamp-687.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT-computer pioneers/ new IT stamps

Post by mehmet7 »

This stamp from the Marshall Islands honors Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who is credited with inventing the World Wide Web:
wwwlee.jpg
mehmet7

stamp collecting and IT- North Korea stamp and vintage PC

Post by mehmet7 »

Even given the fact that this stamp (actually stamp collectors call that format souvenir sheet, our stamp is in the left corner) featuring North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and a computer was issued back in 2002, the depicted computer seems pretty vintage!
Nevertheless I have read that North Korea developed its own Linux version called "Red Star".
nk 10th anniv..jpg
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: stamp collecting and IT- North Korea stamp and vintage P

Post by Carl »

mehmet7 wrote:Even given the fact that this stamp (actually stamp collectors call that format souvenir sheet, our stamp is in the left corner) featuring North Korean leader Kim Jong Il and a computer was issued back in 2002, the depicted computer seems pretty vintage!
Nevertheless I have read that North Korea developed its own Linux version called "Red Star".
nk 10th anniv..jpg
I have a a couple of those souvenir style stamp sheets laying around somewhere from years ago when I had a pen pal in Japan send me them... seem to remember them being of a lucky cat some other weird cartoon creature thing xD
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT- North Korea stamp and vintage P

Post by mehmet7 »

nk 10th anniv..jpg
[/quote]

I have a a couple of those souvenir style stamp sheets laying around somewhere from years ago when I had a pen pal in Japan send me them... seem to remember them being of a lucky cat some other weird cartoon creature thing xD[/quote]

:D Good, so this thread brought back memories!
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT- North Korea stamp with vintage

Post by mehmet7 »

Well, here is another stamp from North Korea, issued in 2008 featuring a computer screen.
DPRKPC08.jpg
mehmet7

Y2K solution

Post by mehmet7 »

Anyone remembering the "millenium bug" or "Y2K" back in 2000?
Gabon issued that stamp suggesting a "solution" if your system would have gone mad......
YtK.jpg
mehmet7

Binary code/ digits

Post by mehmet7 »

This Macedonian stamp issued in 2004 to commemorate a summit on information technology is showing the binary number system's two-binary digits "0" and "1" used to process data i.e. for computer processor instructions.
macedonia binary.jpg
mehmet7

the dark side of force...

Post by mehmet7 »

I am not sure if I will be banned from this forum because of posting an image of the "unspeakable" on a stamp, nevertheless Palau decided to honor him with a stamp besides other famous people from the IT sector. So see the "dark side of force" on a stamp...
billy palau.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT- floppy disk

Post by mehmet7 »

Sony has announced that the production of floppy disks will be stopped next year.
This Souvenir sheet, issued by Romania back in 2004 features an older notebook, together with a floppy disk.
floppy disk.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT-UNIX stamp (Ken Thompson)

Post by mehmet7 »

After a break, here another stamp, issued by Palau, featuring Ken Thompon, the leading creator of UNIX operating system.
unix thompson.jpg
ivietnamtravel

Re: stamp collecting and IT-UNIX stamp (Ken Thompson)

Post by ivietnamtravel »

thanks for sharing
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT-old PC terminal Yugoslavia

Post by mehmet7 »

This old Yugoslavian stamp shows a PC terminal as common in the late 80s-early 90`s ,nevertheless I have no clue which model is depicted.
jugo pc.jpg
mehmet7

Re: stamp collecting and IT-hard drive on stamp

Post by mehmet7 »

Well, after a while, another stamp from my collection:

Polish stamp depicting a hard drive in the background of Leonardo's "Vitruvian Man"
hdd.jpg
JonM33

Re: stamp collecting and IT-hard drive disk on stamp

Post by JonM33 »

Some of these are very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: stamp collecting and IT-hard drive disk on stamp

Post by tdockery97 »

Very interesting. I never would have guessed that there were so many computer related stamps in the world.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Open Chat”