X failed to start up

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ramint
Level 1
Level 1

X failed to start up

Post by Ramint »

Hello Every body,
I'm new to the world of linux, this night I have installed Linux mint on my pc, and every thing went fine and smooth. I lunched Envy trying to download the ATI driver for my graphic card, and I use the automatic mode. when the download finished, and I pressed the apply button, a message appeared asking me if I wnat to restart my pc, I pressed yes. when I restarted the pc I can no more use the gdm, and xorg is not running, all I have is a command line.
my question is, how to restor the original settings of the xorg to the state befor the installation of the ati driver?

thanks in advance.
best regards Ramintu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

raezel wrote:Open the xorg.conf (vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf) and edit it so that you replace every fglrx with ati.
1. You forgot sudo ... As normal user he won't be able to save the file
2. Why vi ...? He already wrote that he is a beginner, so suggesting a vi as editor isn't really going to help ...

Better command would be: sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If nano should not exist, it can be installed on the fly: sudo apt-get install nano
Ramint
Level 1
Level 1

10x

Post by Ramint »

thank you all for the help, it helped me allot.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welocme to Mint mamar
(Hm I think I just saw that nick somewhere else :))
When you install on another computer than the one you want to use the install will be a bad one - not adjusted to your hardware. But you have no option...
Read the trouble shooter for the liveCD
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... ur_Live_CD
you may get some ideas there. If you have internet connection you can even install the correct driver with envy
Husse

Post by Husse »

And a small correction - in recovery mode (mentioned above) you are root so no sudo is needed

Return to “Beginner Questions”