Ready to take the plunge!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Ready to take the plunge!

Post by ElEdwards »

I've been dual booting Mint and XP on my laptop for about a month and I'm ready to take the next step..... which is going all-out Mint on my desktop computer. (My laptop will remain dual boot for my wife... she prefers the AOL software.)

I have found that I can do everything I need to do in Mint that I used to do in XP, including my commercial voice-over work.

I have two drives in my desktop:
  • #1- (40 Gig) is formatted as C:, D:, E: and F:
    #2- (80 Gig) is formatted as G:, H: and I:
and, of course, all are presently NTFS.

I have many, MANY files on both hard drives. OK, I know some of it is due to my being a pack-rat. :) I really need to do some house-cleaning.

I have no issues with converting (i.e. reformatting and partitioning) my C: drive (about 20 Gig) as ext3 for Linux Mint.....

but here are my questions.....
  • - Will things be OK if I leave the remaining partitions as NTFS or do I need to eventually change them all to ext3?

- Is ext3 my best bet or is there something better?
What would you do? I welcome any and all suggestions and ideas :)

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

When I start the process this Saturday, my first step will be to completely reformat my C: drive, getting rid of M$ WinXP... and not looking back :)

If for some reason I need XP again, it will be to install it in either VirtualBox or VMWare.

:)
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

EIEdwards wrote:When I start the process this Saturday, my first step will be to completely reformat my C: drive, getting rid of M$ WinXP... and not looking back
You want to say that you will format just the partition C or your whole first disc?

If you wish to use Mint only why not all format then to install Mint? Why keep all these partitions in NTFS? Simply to keep your personal data?

Do a backup of your personal data, format your discs, install Mint and recopy your data. You will have a clean system and completely Linuxian! :lol:
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Good idea. :)

I can do that for my first drive (currently C:, D:, E:, F:) but for now not my second drive.

My second drive has thousands of audio files, so I'll deal with those at a later date.

:) This will be fun!
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

ElEdwards wrote:My second drive has thousands of audio files, so I'll deal with those at a later date.
As you want but why not do everything in only once? :?

I would find easier and more practical to install Mint directly on the complete PC. You could for example install /home on his own disc, largest. 8)
Perhaps also you could reserve a partition on the first disc which you would keep for testing others distros if you wish it… :wink:

etc.....................

80 Go of backup? hug, maybe on a external hard drive, that should not be too long. :wink: After it's just copy and paste the files, and hop, a complete PC with a Mint taste... 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Well, I'm just about done backing up what I need to keep.

By the way, I stated my drives backwards when I started this thread:
Primary is 80 Gig
Secondary is 40 Gig

I've been reading various threads on every Linux board I can find but I still don't know exactly what my best partitioning scheme should be. I have TONS of audio files (both WAVs and MP3s) and will continue adding to these with my voice-over efforts.

I welcome any thoughts o suggestions on how to partition my drives and what partitions should go where.

Return to “Beginner Questions”