HP Scanner

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brucews
Level 1
Level 1

HP Scanner

Post by brucews »

I am a newbie to linux and while playing with the partitions on my home office computor, I have lost my main windows xp operating system. As I was going to switch to mint anyway it was no great loss. I now have fully functionality for all my gear except for my scanner which is a hp scanjet 2400. When I check out the HP site and the linux listings there seems to be support for most HP scanners except this model. What do I do? I need my scanner for my home office. can anyone help :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Welcome to MInt brucews
HP is the brand I believe has the widest support for Linux...
Study your scanner and its specs and try to find out which other scanner it mostly resembles. Then try the drivers for that scanner
Or install sane and Xsane and see what happens when you try to scan
Sorry for a reply that is not as helpful as I wish it would be
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi

Distribution: U-Feisty
HP Scanjet 2400c

This scanner is unsupported by SANE.
... but they're working on it:
Quote:
GL646 based, to be added to genesys backend
Will probably be out in the next backend tarball - coming to a Debian repository near you.

****Meanwhile, I have had good results running the hp scanner software under wine...****

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... p?t=438962

Worth a try ?

Nick
Husse

Post by Husse »

Thx nick
brucews
Level 1
Level 1

HP 2400

Post by brucews »

Thanks for your replies Nick and Husse
How often do Sane update their listings. Is it a regular event or will I need to wait months?
In the meantime I will have a stab at your other sugestions
thanks
brucews
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by nick »

Hi
How often do Sane update their listings. Is it a regular event or will I need to wait months?
This is not really a fault of Sane, this is a problem caused by HP, the guys at at Sane (who also work for nothing) have to reverse engineer the drivers because the companies do no realease the details of the drivers

When looking for a solution to your problem a came across a list of people who emailed HP and complained.

The more people who do that the better.

Or make sure next time you buy hardware, check it works in Linux, if not tell the company/shop why you are not buying it, they will eventually get message. :)

Nick
brucews
Level 1
Level 1

hp2400

Post by brucews »

hi nick,

I did emai HP and suggested they should support the growing hoards switching to linux and got a very prompt reply from them saying that with all the changes to windows over the years they havnt been able to keep up with other distros like linux. They then tried to suggest that planned redundency was a necessary thing as this drove technology - or some similar BS. I think they were hinting I buy a new scanner. I f i am forced to do that it certainly wont be a HP. Hope the sane boys come up with an answer sooner than later. I checked on some other distro forums and quite a few people are looking for an answer for the HP2400.

brucews

Return to “Beginner Questions”