Rio Cali mp3 player

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Rio Cali mp3 player

Post by Paul L »

I'm getting really frustrated trying to install my Rio Cali mp3 player. I've installed rioutil and jrioutil as advised. I can get access to the player on the command line through rioutil but cannot get jrioutil to recognise the player. Has anyone managed to get this player to work in Mint?

I note that the program quits while running usr/local/bin/rioutil --info, however there's no such file in this folder.

I would appreciate any assistance as this (and syncing my phone) are putting me off using Linux permanently.

Many thanks in advance

Paul
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Initialisation problem

Post by Paul L »

Thanks Husse,

I have already tried this route but keep getting the following error

java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "/usr/local/bin/rioutil": java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:459)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:593)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:431)
at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Runtime.java:328)
at org.mpilone.jrioutil.device.DeviceAdapter.execCommand(DeviceAdapter.java:70)
at org.mpilone.jrioutil.device.rioutil.RioUtilDevice.access$500(RioUtilDevice.java:18)
at org.mpilone.jrioutil.device.rioutil.RioUtilDevice$3.run(RioUtilDevice.java:195)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException: error=2, No such file or directory
at java.lang.UNIXProcess.<init>(UNIXProcess.java:148)
at java.lang.ProcessImpl.start(ProcessImpl.java:65)
at java.lang.ProcessBuilder.start(ProcessBuilder.java:452)
... 6 more

I am assuming that rioutil is installed in the wrong directory but don't fully understand the error message.

Paul
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

I don't know if this will help, but have you configured your default java? For example,

Code: Select all

$ sudo update-alternatives --config java   

There are 6 alternatives which provide `java'.

Selection    Alternative
-----------------------------------------------
          1    /etc/alternatives/kaffe-system/bin/java
          2    /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.0
          3    /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun/jre/bin/java
          4    /usr/bin/gij-wrapper-4.1
 +        5    /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj/jre/bin/java
*         6    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java 

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number: 6
Using `/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java' to provide `java'.
john
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Java

Post by Paul L »

Thanks, I appreciate your prompt response.

running the program I get two Java options (same as options 3 and 6 in your example) Option 6 is marked * and +
Does this help?

Paul
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

It sounds like you installed java 6? Then choose option 6 as in the example.

john
Paul L
Level 1
Level 1

Problem solved (sort of !)

Post by Paul L »

I got fed up trying to get my Cali to work with Linux. I sent an e-mail to Rio asking for help. They ignored it. If Rio can't be bothered with me I can't be bothered with Rio. Bought a cheap (£6) mp3 player. Plugged it in - works! £6 for 512mb and it includes an FM radio. Sold!

If anyone ever does get the Cali to work with Linux I would be interested to know.

Paul
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Post by OU812 »

If I have problems getting something to work, I usually do a google with ubuntu. For example, I did

"ubuntu rio cali"

and got this hit

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=87225

Basically, a post suggests running the app as root. This is quite common. I have used more than one distro that required running amarok or gnomad2 to sync with my player. It comes down to how the app was packaged.

john
Husse

Post by Husse »

But it is not good at all to run something that connects to the "outer world" and even the internet as root.....

Return to “Beginner Questions”