Any new info?

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
Gnarly

Any new info?

Post by Gnarly »

Has Clem mentioned his Debian progress lately? Ubuntu seems to be getting buggier and buggier every release for me. It would sure be nice to see this Mint Debian happen!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distrohopper

Re: Any new info?

Post by distrohopper »

Nothing official yet, although it has been vaguely hinted that there MAY be change coming. Nothing has been said as to what, when or how.. but I do believe that it's actively being discussed to bring us a better desktop experience. I'm sure if anything is changed it will not be small news. You will know about it from a post on the main Mint page or the blog.
cliste

Post by cliste »

Out of curiosity, would a move away from Ubuntu mean a loss of programs specifically written for Ubuntu, or by being written for Ubuntu mean that they are actually written for Debian, and as such we would continue to be able to use them!?

</noobpost ;) >
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

It probably will mean losing some Ubuntu programs from the repos as Ubuntu has drifted so far from Debian that not all Ubuntu software is compatible with Debian.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

cliste wrote:Out of curiosity, would a move away from Ubuntu mean a loss of programs specifically written for Ubuntu, or by being written for Ubuntu mean that they are actually written for Debian, and as such we would continue to be able to use them!?
As of late, several other Linux Distros have made the move from being based on Ubuntu to being based on Debian.

Debian "Squeeze" is the current 'testing' branch of Debian ... Squeeze will be released as 'stable' before the end of this year.
As anyone that uses Debian knows, Debian 'stable' is just that ... rock solid stable - always.

Ubuntu was loosely based off Debians 'unstable' branch ... with Lucid 10.04 they moved to Debian 'testing'

Debian also, has the largest repositories in the Linux world ... "if you can't find it in the Debian Repros > you don't need it or it doesn't exist" :lol:

On my PC I have 3 Distros >> LinuxMint-9 Xfce, Debian 'testing' Xfce and Crunchbang Statler with Openbox ... all amd-64
I mainly use #!Crunchbang Statler ... Crunchbang was based on Ubuntu but just a few months ago, switched to a Debian Squeeze base.
While still listed as an Alpha release, Crunchbang is much more stable than most final versions of any distro.
And I have found the Debian base of Crunchbang to be faster and more responsive than Ubuntu ever was.
Last edited by vrkalak on Sun May 30, 2010 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Yeah, I like Crunchbang Statler a lot, too. And, in spite of the warning on the home page that it could make your computer go Crunch, Bang I find it more stable than, say Ubuntu Karmic or Lucid.

In addition. it is a light, very fast OS with an idling footprint of only 85-100 MB of ram usage. It is a great distro to revive older PCs and Notebooks.

Crunchbang Homepage http://crunchbanglinux.org/.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

the head developer made a lot of fair points in the interview, he posted a link around the 20th reply for the blog entry.
I'd be very interested in something from Mint that isn't based off Ubuntu.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

There are no plans to ever move to Debian from Ubuntu.
However there is plans to create a Debian release.
The release of Linux Mint 9 took priority but clem wants to work more on a Debian release.
SxFlare

Post by SxFlare »

sorry, my bad wording, I meant "something" as in a different edition, not the entirety of Mint to use Debian ;)
I can understand the pros and cons of using Debian instead of Ubuntu as a base and the other way round.
The priority of 9 is understandable, it was anticipated by many.
gizmodo

Post by gizmodo »

well, there is something about this going on in the IRC, #pimpmymint channel, ikey is mainly sorta trying to make it (IT IS NOTHING NEAR A RELEASE!!) he is just playing a bit of it for himeslf. to see if its doable.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

gizmodo wrote:well, there is something about this going on in the IRC, #pimpmymint channel, ikey is mainly sorta trying to make it (IT IS NOTHING NEAR A RELEASE!!) he is just playing a bit of it for himeslf. to see if its doable.
Yea he is really working hard on it.
ikey wrote:Having problems with python-parted at the moment,
so I have no inbuilt partition editor yet.
This is how it looks now:

I'm sure clem is also doing some work on it as well.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Would a debian version be a rolling release?
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

ikey wrote:
mintnoob wrote:Would a debian version be a rolling release?
Yes
I've been contemplating switching to an rolling release, so this is exciting news because I really like Mint and would want to stay with this distro.

BTW, are there major drawbacks to an RR distro, verse a fixed release one? I'm personally tired of doing fresh installs!
deleted

Post by deleted »

I used sidux for 6 years in a development environment. The only time I had a show stopper, the workaround was to use vesa for about a week or so. The only annoyance I had was when kde4 hit the repos.
-Hinto
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Well I hope a debian version becomes a reality. It would be nice not to feel like having to upgrade every six months.
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

Btw, what will the native DE be for this debian version?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

mintnoob wrote:Well I hope a debian version becomes a reality.
I agree, it would really be nice to see a Debian version happen. There's certainly considerable interest.

I'm imagining that it's quite an undertaking, but I really have no idea how much work is involved.

Of course, I'm happy with Mint as it is right now, so if it doesn't happen, I'll be okay with that, too. If/when I feel I really need it, Debian isn't all that difficult to install, anyway, and I suspect it'll get easier.
mintnoob wrote:It would be nice not to feel like having to upgrade every six months.
With either Ubuntu or Mint, I've been sticking with the LTS versions and avoiding that whole 6-month trip. It's a great way to go if it works for you; fortunately, it works great for me!

But even aside from the LTS versions, I don't see any reason why someone should have to upgrade every six months. The end-of-life date for each non-LTS Ubuntu version is a year and a half after the release date (according to the tables at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). That life-span should be good for Mint as well, right?
mintnoob

Post by mintnoob »

MALsPa wrote: But even aside from the LTS versions, I don't see any reason why someone should have to upgrade every six months. The end-of-life date for each non-LTS Ubuntu version is a year and a half after the release date (according to the tables at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases). That life-span should be good for Mint as well, right?
There's no big reason unless a new version corrects an urgent need for your computer. It's more like a "feeling" you need to when you see everyone getting all exited about new releases and don't want to feel your computer will be missing out on the "latest & greatest".

Since I'm using KDE and had to upgraded to the newer version of KDE at the time, I'd like to have KDE with the latest version of KDE installed instead of having to do an upgrade, even though I haven't had any problem. Like I said, it's just a feeling you're going to be left behind. Maybe I'm the only one who feels like this! :lol:
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

mintnoob wrote:There's no big reason unless a new version corrects an urgent need for your computer.
Yep.
mintnoob wrote:Like I said, it's just a feeling you're going to be left behind. Maybe I'm the only one who feels like this!
Yeah, I hear ya. I think I simply got to a point where I don't care if I'm left behind! :lol: As long as everything is working, I'm fine, and if I can go a long time without upgrading or doing a new installation, that's even better. Which makes Debian Stable and Mepis quite nice for me.

If a Debian-based version of Mint gets put out there, it won't be based on Debian Stable, but personally I'd prefer that it was.
The Mage

Post by The Mage »

ikey wrote:That'd be Gnome :)
Bother, then again it would be easy enough to get rid of GNOME and install KDE after the fact.

As an aside, what would be required for me to become involved in assisting with this project?

Cheers.

Return to “LMDE Archive”