GNOME OR KDE MINT?

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Sorensei
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Sorensei »

mikpap wrote:I would like for instance to have both installed (KDE and GNOME) in the same partition.
Er... what keeps you from installing the one you don't have and choosing your session?
I don't have a solution, but I do admire the problem.
mikpap
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikpap »

Sorensei wrote:
mikpap wrote:I would like for instance to have both installed (KDE and GNOME) in the same partition.
Er... what keeps you from installing the one you don't have and choosing your session?
The fact that KDE installed on a Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra partition is just a KDE with limitations and not a Mint KDE (I believe - even though I haven't try it - that you can't install KDE Bianca. I installed KDE (either using apt-get install kde or apt-get install kde-core) after updating the sources.list with feisty's repos (KDE 3.5.7 from kubuntu.org) but the result is far from being as elegant as KDE Bianca. So I look forward for KDE Cassandra.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Quoting marcus0263:
Good choice
Gnome is much cleaner code IMHO .
KDE I've found to be just too Kludgy! Play with Gnome and later on you can mess with the other Window Managers.

Hello everybody,
I agree with both Elder and Marcus0263:
I just thought I should give Bianca KDE another try, to see the difference between Gnome and KDE.

Clem has done a fantastic job with the Gnome desktop, adding a lot of very useful utilities that can't work in the KDE environment.

What about MintInstall? Can it be implemented in the KDE desktop?
OK. KDE is richer in software choices, if one needs them, but you can always add to Gnome almost anything with Synaptic and MintInstall.

If Gnome is for simple newbies, then I belong! :) I'm simple myself. :lol:

Greetings to all my good friends,
Blogger_Live
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

mintInstall is there in the KDE Edition..

Gnome: More professional looking, simpler to use, more stable, great polishing, gives the impression of a finished product.

KDE: Less memory hungry, faster and snappier, more customizable, better designed (in terms of how it uses rc files rather than a repository), better integration with its own set of applications, better session support.

Clem
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

OK! Now I'm convinced that I am confused! :lol:

Cheers Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

clem wrote: Gnome: More professional looking
That is debatable :wink:
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Quoting Clem:
Gnome: More professional looking, simpler to use, more stable, great polishing, gives the impression of a finished product.

I agree.
Working with Bianca KDE for a couple of days, I am convinced that Cassandra (Gnome) is more user-friendly, and more likely to appeal to the new Linux convert.
The KDE desktop is fancier and more appealing to the advanced or the adventurous Linux user. But it offers a great deal of redundant software that is confusing rather than helpful to the un-initiated.
More is not always better.

Even Ubuntu, as I remember, seemed to be more stable and less buggy than Kubuntu.

At the risk of being repetitious, I say that Mint innovations, introduced by Clem, are the most attractive features that make the Gnome desktop so appealing.
IMHO of course. :)
Three cheers for Gnome Mint! :)
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

Well, I've never been a fan of GNOME and never liked KDE. To me, KDE looks way too cluttered. GNOME seems more elegant, simpler, but because it's a GNU thing which tries to call Linux stupid GNU/Linux, I don't really like it.
So, my favorite desktop environment is Xfce. It is very very simple, nice and clean, and generally faster. You especially notice faster boot speeds with Xfce.
Now, let's think about it logically, what parts of a desktop environment matter to people most: naming and logo. Let's see, KDE: what kind of a name is that? K Desktop Enviroment? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever! The dragon logo although, is pretty nice.
Next up, GNOME. Even better. What comes to mind when you say "gnome" (I know it's not pronounced that way)?
I imagine a fat, little unfriendly (and stinky too) gnome. And who want a footprint for a mascot? That's ridiculous.
And finally, Xfce. Well, of course as soon as you read the name, "XForms Common Environment" pops to mind. That little mouse signifies speed since mice are very good at running. But wait, there is more. Mice are very quiet, so that guarantees that your computer will run smoothly and quietly with this amazing piece of software.

This post is a big fat joke, please don't flame.
Last edited by sourwire on Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

sourwire wrote:Well, I've never been a fan of GNOME and never liked KDE. To me, KDE looks way too cluttered. GNOME seems more elegant, simpler, but because it's a GNU thing which tries to call Linux stupid GNU/Linux, I don't really like it.
So, my favorite desktop environment is Xfce. It is very very simple, nice and clean, and generally faster. You especially notice faster boot speeds with Xfce.
Now, let's think about it logically, what parts of a desktop environment matter to people most: naming and logo. Let's see, KDE: what kind of a name is that? K Desktop Enviroment? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever! The dragon logo although, is pretty nice.
Next up, GNOME. Even better. What comes to mind when you say "gnome" (I know it's not pronounced that way)?
I imagine a fat, little unfriendly (and stinky too) gnome. And who want a footprint for a mascot? That's ridiculous.
And finally, Xfce. Well, of course as soon as you read the name, "XForms Common Environment" pops to mind. The a little mouse signifies speed since mice are very good at running. But wait, there is more. Mice are very quiet, so that guarantees that your computer will run smoothly and quietly with this amazing piece of software.

This post is a big fat joke, please don't flame.
Hello Sourwire,
It's good to see another viewpoint; a well-expressed philosophical approach.
We never thought to consider XFCE as another competitive choice.
Perhaps it should have been included in this post, so that people can get some useful information about the pros and cons of this very useful desktop.
I don't think that your opinion is a 'joke'.

Cheers,
Blogger
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

What ever works best for you and your hardware. Its all good. :D
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

There are many reasons people like, or do not like various desktop environments.

it may be aesthetics or philosophical, functionality or effectiveness.

The only philosophical issue I have with any DE is when they feel the need to point out they are not windows.

I believe that an OS should not be made to be competitive, it should be made to get the job done in the best way it is capable. the "competition" can come after the fact, if that's what folks really want to do.

By announcing you made your DE to be vastly different looking from windows automatically sets windows up as the measuring stick to judge the quality or capability of your system

all that accomplishes is creating a popularity contest.

but, that is just my two cents also.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

kenetics wrote:What ever works best for you and your hardware. Its all good. :D
A very good point Ken,
And what makes Linux very attractive is the number of choices one is offered.
Variety is the spice of life, they say. :)
Cheers,
Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Hello Bigbearomaha,
Thanks for the very useful links.
Your approach on the issue of preference is even more detailed and practical.
I guess it's all a matter of personal taste.
It's useful to have as many different opinions as possible in the spirit of free exchange of ideas.

Greetings,
Blogger
blogger
Level 4
Level 4

Post by blogger »

Very interesting Kcirick,
Now, here is another desktop that is worth investigating for the sake of variety.
The screen shots are really impressive. FVWM seems to be fairly attractive.

Greetings,
Blogger
sourwire

Post by sourwire »

I love the fact that Linux has so much to offer in the area of how things work and look. I'm a pretty new Linux user, so I know only the basics and it's really amazing how easy most things are. For example installing Xfce.
The reason I love xfce is speed I guess, there is also some nice window manager tweaks that make windows transparent, etc. I wouldn't say that my computer is way too outdated, and I kind of feel bad for xfce when people call it "desktop environment for lower-end machines". After all, the slogan of the project is "...and everything goes faster!", not "...it works like GNOME for old computers!".
I could run GNOME or KDE perfectly on my machine.
I wouldn't call Xfce a complete desktop environment yet since it doesn't even include an image viewer or a zipping utility, but I think that's going to change pretty soon and xfce will be able to compete on GNOME and KDE level.
Toontwnca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Toontwnca »

I downloaded and installed KDE 3 version tonight.
Playing around with it now.
So far I like it. The main thing that I didn't like about KDE distros
in the past was that I found the main menu hard to navigate, so
that made it difficult for me to use. Tasty menu is much easier.
So far no real problems navigating.
For the time being I'll stick with it.
It doesn't matter if a glass is half empty or half full.
There is clearly room for more wine.

Notebook: Asus K53U 1.6 gz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hd, AMD 6310 Radeon
Toontwnca
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Toontwnca »

LostOverThere wrote:Yeah, its quite surprising how much names actually mean.

This is another place Mint has to be more careful. Not using to "slutty" names.
Personally, I would much rather the button that launches the menu to say "Mint". But, Cassandra isn't that much of a bad name.
You can rename it to whatever you want.
It doesn't matter if a glass is half empty or half full.
There is clearly room for more wine.

Notebook: Asus K53U 1.6 gz, 4gb ram, 500 gb hd, AMD 6310 Radeon
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

XFCE!!!

why? Zoom Zoom Zoom... then one day you do :lol:

ie. its faaaassttt!
sonicbhoc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sonicbhoc »

KDE is my favorite. GNOME, I find, is too limiting and simple. And I HATE gconf. A lot.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

I have Mint with Gnome and, after having stopped using it, I have also another distrib in dual boot with KDE. More I use KDE more I like it! :roll: :lol:
Btw Qt is better than Gtk+... :wink: And Gnome got contaminated with Mono :twisted:

Some things written here are extremely debatable…:roll: :wink:

Xfce? Not for me, thanks. It is not even able to have transparent icon labels... Having opaque labels reminds me of Win95! And it is became slower, e.g the slower speed of Xfce 4.4 versus 4.2.3.2 or "compare 4.3.99.2 to 4.2.3.2 on a modest platform (Celeron/850, 256 MB RAM), and you will notice the difference: 4.2.3.2 feels as fast as WindowMaker, for instance, where 4.3.99.2 feels more like GNOME!" (http://www.beranger.org/index.php?page=3k&article=2051)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Return to “Open Chat”