Linux Mint compatibility with Ubuntu

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint compatibility with Ubuntu

Post by shane »

I am contemplating switching from Ubuntu to Linux Mint. as we all may know, the Ubuntu repositories are massive and there are quite a few packages in there that I use... these include meta-packages like Ubuntu Studio which I would really love to have in Mint.

So my question is, will anything that is built for Ubuntu work with Mint? is it possible to add the Ubuntu repositories and not encounter any problems with applications working perfectly? is Mint 100% compatible with Ubuntu?

This and the version upgrade question are really the deal breakers for me... give me these two... and Mint will have won me over for good :D

cheers

shane.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shane
Level 5
Level 5

Post by shane »

stafio wrote:You're safe here. Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories already and adds its own on top of that.
cool 8)
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision »

Hi shane as mint is based on ubuntu so its 100% compatible with it.Mint uses repositories of ubuntu itself.You can add 3rd party repositories too.Nothing harm in that.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Maybe not quite
The other answers are correct, but you have to check that you don't add/update/remove something that affects the Mint specific apps.
Other than that you're ok
maman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maman »

stafio wrote:You're safe here. Mint uses the Ubuntu repositories already and adds its own on top of that.
Well, I heard from somewhere around, we can use Ubuntu DVD as well as Ubuntu Repository DVD to be added by adding it to source.list

Can I use Ubuntu Studio as a repository too? I have very limited access to the internet, and only surf from an internet café that's quite far from my dwelling. Using this way may cut my spending on internet and get the DVD once and forever.

Thanks in advance!
:twisted: DON'T visit Indonesia! :twisted:
:D It's DANGEROUSLY beautiful! :D
----------------------------------------
Maman
Husse

Post by Husse »

maman
You can add a CD/DVD as a repo as in Ubuntu

Return to “Other topics”