Solaris

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the problem of installing solaris on X86 is the hardware compatibility.

guess what it works perfectly on Sun x86 hardware.
the older and more obscure your hardware the less likely it will work.
so using tier 1 hardware like: SUN, HP, IBM is best.

you can not dual boot your solaris system since solaris wants to partition the disk how it wants to.
when you install you pretty much take all the defaults and let it do its stuff.
If you don't mind loosing everything on the system you are going to install it onto go for it. nothing like learning more unix.

The question is why do you want to use solaris?

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The only thing I like about Solaris is the name... but don't be mistaken, this is not a user-friendly operating system. If you're looking for a distribution that helps you learn more about Unix I would recommend trying out Slackware.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Solaris

Post by scorp123 »

SEGMAT wrote: if Solaris is not very newbie friendly
No, it isn't :lol:

Solaris is a "Professional OS" ... e.g. something I'd run at my day-job on my 8-CPU machines with 32 GB RAM. You as home user won't find it appealing at all. And without the proper level of knowledge or at least a minimum level of proper Solaris training you probably won't even be able to put it to any reasonable use. No offence intended here, I am just stating facts. From a home user's perspective Solaris is probably "ugly" as hell and hard if not even impossible to understand. From that POV Linux is sooooo much "friendlier". Solaris isn't about "being friendly" to home users. Not at all. Home users are not even the target market for Solaris. Solaris is about running on servers, being maintained and monitored by full-time UNIX admins; Solaris is about serving "enterprise critical" applications to thousands of users ... and not about giving one single user a nice cozy desktop.

You can still install it of course ... but if you don't even know Linux that well, then Solaris will be a total horror trip in complete darkness. Besides: Chances are that you will hose your system. The Solaris Installer doesn't take prisoners ... if you tell it to install it doesn't give a /bin/sh about killing your partitions or not, it just installs itself. Here *you* really *really* need to know what *you* do.

I'd suggest you postpone tinkering with Solaris until your Linux knowledge has improved to a level where you may call yourself "experienced Linux user" .... or you take a Solaris "UNIX Beginner's" training from SUN Microsystems Inc. ... they cost like 2000$
Last edited by scorp123 on Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Another solution is to use a virtual machine (VirtualBox or VMWare for instance) and try out Solaris in there.

Clem
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Just to add a few Solaris 10 screenshots here ... As you can see the "Java Desktop" Solaris 10 ships with is in principle a modified GNOME (and an old version too).

Forestarius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Forestarius »

I recently tried Solaris. It was like going back in time to pre-Ubuntu/Mint times when fonts were unreadable on normal monitors. It looked like it would take way too many hours of work just to bring it up to modern Linux standards so it went away after a few days. It was fun to look over it for a few hours, but not worthwhile to keep.

The install finds every drive on the system and deletes every partition. I think the OS install would make the perfect weapon system if they could make it attack over a network or even over the internet like that. :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

Forestarius wrote: It was like going back in time to pre-Ubuntu/Mint times
Yeap. Commercial UNIX flavours make for great 'time machines'. Try HP-UX if you ever get the chance (needs a PA-RISC or a IA-64 machine ...): You will feel like being back sometime in the mid-1970's :lol:
Forestarius wrote: The install finds every drive on the system and deletes every partition.
Yeap, Solaris takes no prisoners. The perfect gift you can make to Windows 'power users' ... :lol:

Return to “Chat about Linux”