Cassandra XFCE Community Edition is out!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Cassandra XFCE Community Edition is out!

Post by clem »

Hi,

The XFCE Community Edition of Cassandra is out! This is the first Community Edition to release a stable version. Many thanks to Merlwiz for developing and maintaining it.

Download page: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Release notes: http://www.linuxmint.com/cassandra-xfce.html

Clem
Last edited by clem on Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
gadi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gadi »

I'm using BETA 003... It is not possible to upgrade?
Adeus!
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Merlwiz: Can you post upgrade instructions or send them to me so I can publish them on the wiki?

Clem
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

I have some work to do to day, but after I am done I will write it.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

Thanks for the announcement

TO: merlwiz79

Congrats, I wish that this edition will be successfully.

I will download it!!
Linux Mint apps translator
.ee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by .ee »

It's nice job, guys! Thank you. I will try it later. Mint is great but I also like lighter and faster linux flavours. Maybe the XFCE edition will take place of Gnome Mint on my lappy. The booting times is what I would like to be improved in the future, if possible.
poision
Level 3
Level 3

Post by poision »

hey merlwiz congrates and special thanks to final release of xfce...ya my download is in under progress...my p3 is waiting for it now...gr8 job buddy
capricornus
Level 2
Level 2

Cass XFCE is running well

Post by capricornus »

As you already know, since Xmas I've been downloading and installing a lot of distro's, and everyone of them has its own particularities. Few remain in my CD-box thought, for several little inconveniences.
But Mint stays there.
I downloaded LinuxMint XFCE, on Tuesday at the uncredible rate of a few KB/s, today (Wednesday in BE) at about 140 KB/s, it takes a breakfast and reading the paper twice...LOL
I repartitioned my dedicated HD with GPartEd, #1 for LInuxMint, #2 and #5 for SWAP and #3 and #4 for the recently distributed Wolvix 1.1.0 .
Now I have two light-footed and formidable competitors, one from the Ubuntu rep, and one from the Slack rep.
They both install easily and run swiftly on a Sempron 2600 cpu with 512 MBRAM. They both recognized video and audio and a USB-HD. LinuxMint recognized a higher video-resolution that Wolvix does not, even not in the Display setting, but I'm still very pleased with both distro's, since they offer me everything I expect from my pc.
Thanks to the XFCE team!
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

Kinne wrote:Hi,

I added it to http://www.snoerre.eu
Happy downloading
I appreciate it

Thanks a lot.

Great job!!!
verbertus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verbertus »

Kinne wrote:Hi,

I added it to http://www.snoerre.eu
Happy downloading
Kinne, thanks from me as well! Downloading now at about 120KB/s, which is my maximal ADSL speed. Good!

Shouldn't there be a md5-checksum somewhere?
Thanks again.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

The XFCE Edition is now available on CD at on-disk.com:

http://on-disk.com/product_info.php/products_id/325

Same price as other editions: $10.

Clem
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Regarding XFCE......

Post by ElEdwards »

Please pardon my lack of knowledge... and if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.....

I realize that a lot of work has gone into this new edition and with all appreciation, I want to know what the advantage is of using this version VERSUS using Synaptic to get XFCE and adding that to an existing Mint installation.

I'm still learning and I appreciate your indulgence :)

Thanks!
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Regarding XFCE......

Post by maty1206 »

ElEdwards wrote:Please pardon my lack of knowledge... and if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.....

I realize that a lot of work has gone into this new edition and with all appreciation, I want to know what the advantage is of using this version VERSUS using Synaptic to get XFCE and adding that to an existing Mint installation.

Thanks!
to: ElEdwards
Hi friend, if you use Synaptic for get XFCE desktop, you are really downloading only the XFCE desktop. Of course, many software and application's are include in that desktop.
Now if you use Linux Mint 3.0 XFCE community edition you will get not only XFCE Desktop, you're going to get special tools which are developed by this distro. ALso you could get artworks , that includes MInt wallpapers and many more.

Take care you
verbertus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by verbertus »

Kinne wrote:Actually you can find the md5-checksums here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.html
Thank you. Don't know how I managed to overlook that! :oops:
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

Using the live CD now. Looks very good so far. Goodbye OpenSuse. Gotta make room for another Mint. :D
verbertus
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Regarding XFCE......

Post by verbertus »

ElEdwards wrote:Please pardon my lack of knowledge... and if this is in the wrong place, I apologize.....

Thanks!
In addition to the very good answer maty1206 has given, I think it's worth reading the release notes. Gnome, the desktop environment, has been removed and replaced by xfce. This opens the luxuries of Linux Mint to many more computers, either older ones or more modern lightweight, energy efficient ones.
mickel
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint XFCE Cassandra Community

Post by mickel »

I run an older Hp 667 Celeron with 384 ram. I did a clean whole disk install of this one yesterday and it is great! It does everything just like its supposed to except shutdown, (which I now know how to fix). This distro is clean smooth and very fast. I have been waiting for the stable KDE of Cassandra but I don't know how it could be better than this XFCE !
Thanks
ElEdwards
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ElEdwards »

Very smooth! :)

I downloaded the ISO earlier tonight, burned the cd, installed it and here I am! :D
So far, really good :) I'm going to play for a while and get used to it.

Oh, one thing I have to learn is terminal commands..... I'm used to using 'gedit' in Gnome Terminal..... what is the equivalent command in XFCE Terminal?

Thanks! :)
El
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

I am excited. I am d/l the torrent now (I will also seed ) Iove the idea of an Xfce based Mint.

Great work to all.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
maty1206
Level 5
Level 5

Post by maty1206 »

ElEdwards wrote:Very smooth! :)

I downloaded the ISO earlier tonight, burned the cd, installed it and here I am! :D
So far, really good :) I'm going to play for a while and get used to it.

Oh, one thing I have to learn is terminal commands..... I'm used to using 'gedit' in Gnome Terminal..... what is the equivalent command in XFCE Terminal?

Thanks! :)
El
HI!
You shoul use:
"nano"

I hope that you could do it.
See you

Return to “Releases & Announcements”