Linux Mint 9 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
Catmint

Re: Linux Mint 9 released!

Post by Catmint »

red-e-made wrote:and I also like the Move To/Copy To actions in Nautilus - pretty much the only thing I missed about KDE.
Kde's Dolphin has been having Copy To/Move To options for quite some time already.
design1

Post by design1 »

I began using Mint 09 shortly after the RC was announced and have updated almost daily. Do I have to reinstall the final release or is the fully updated RC now match the final release.

There are only a couple of things that do not work properly. One is the "suspend" and "hibernate" functions on my HP dv2 which I realize could be a hardware problem. Both functions go to sleep - either with the function key or as programmed with the power options - but just do not wake when asked.

Otherwise it is the best Linux I've seen so far and I have been toying with it since way back in the dark ages - like when Mandrake and a few more were first available. About six weeks ago, a about the time the RC was announced, I stupidly deleted my Vista C:/ drive and thought, why not? I had already put Mint on it as a dual boot, liked what I saw, and so erased the whole drive and started from scratch. It is now the only system on this machine and I am as happy as the proverbial clam.

The two Window apps I had always thought I just had to have, Lotus Organizer and Quicken, are now running in V-box. Mail is all done on Google and so, it's a wonderful world. And after all these years.

Sorry, afraid I got off the subject - about updating the RC. Is it good to go as is or should I download the release and reinstall?

Jack
saltyp
Level 1
Level 1

Post by saltyp »

Clem,
Linux Mint is giving me the ****s. There is nothing to fix! I install it on all three rigs and it works every time. Been here since 4....can ya stuff something up just for me? Please. I install all three machines in about an hour. ClarkConnect caches the updates and thats my night done..... nothing left to do but drink beer and admire...

Seriously, well done again.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clean up language.
if it aint broken....dont let me near it
Pariah

Copy and Move To options in context menu

Post by Pariah »

This is probably one of those things I could figure out if I had some sleep but at the moment I just have to ask the stupid question....

In Mint 9, which is great by the way, I like the new additions to the context menu..specifically Copy To and Move To..however the only options are desktop and home folder..I would like to remove these entries as I like to use PyExtensions for Nautilus..any suggestions as to how to go about it? I wouldn't think I would be the only one who didn't want them there, but I can't find any mention in the forums (or Google)...any advice and/or instructions would be well received..later, after some sleep :D
Andrew33

Post by Andrew33 »

@saltyp

I think people can better express themselves without the profanties and vulgar language, especially using Gods' name in vain...If I was your mother, I'd wash your mouth out with soap. You show a deep lack of intelligence by using foul language....it doesn't make you look macho or smart, it just makes you look stupid...
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

+1
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

markfiend wrote:Isadora is working like a dream on my wife's eeePC (can't remember the spec off the top of my head) Thanks!

I'm sticking with Helena on own computer for the moment. I'll probably try to upgrade (rather than reinstall) over the weekend.
Yeah, I actually got round to the upgrade last night. Unfortunately it borked something (really badly, wouldn't even reboot) and I ended up doing a clean Isadora install anyway. :lol:

No big deal, I have /home on a separate partition that I left alone, I just installed Mint 9 into a freshly formatted root partition.

One weirdness was that I had to re-add all the menus, window-switcher, workspace-switcher to the Gnome panel. Probably because I'd not deleted any hidden files in my home and they messed something up.

Very shiny.
vincent

Post by vincent »

Ummm...was that reply warranted in any way? I mean, do you think that slinging insults at someone else is a good idea, especially if that someone else is trying to advise another person not to use foul language? Look, how hard is it to respect the rules and to respect the fact that swearing and insults are not going to be tolerated?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Very nice for your very first post. Did anyone help you with the "big" words or did you type them all by yourself?
markfiend

Post by markfiend »

:o I take it that vincent and BubbaBlues were responding to a post that has been moderated away? Otherwise I'm going to start feeling paranoid...
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

markfiend wrote::o I take it that vincent and BubbaBlues were responding to a post that has been moderated away? Otherwise I'm going to start feeling paranoid...
Either whoever posted before them got reported or that person deleted his/her post <shrugs>
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Haha well it was there when we posted. Just an abrasive post with a lotta foul language.

Nothin' to see here folks, just move along. Move along. :D
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

Wow, just upgraded to Linux Mint 9, been busy lately so I'm a bit late, and wow it just took about 10 minutes and I was back in with all my settings back, everything is as I left it, only thing I need to do is reinstall the software, which should link back to it's previous settings.

Awesome, keep it up Clem.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
Catmint

Post by Catmint »

markfiend wrote::o I take it that vincent and BubbaBlues were responding to a post that has been moderated away? Otherwise I'm going to start feeling paranoid...
Yes, having replies standing in thin air is very odd :shock:
It would've been more helpful if there was a comment that a post was deleted because of foul language or something, rather than just deleting it wordlessly and then having replies that don't make any sense anymore.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I'm used to it. A lot of my replies don't make any sense. :lol:
Sentello

Post by Sentello »

I having troubles due to the inability to load a custom DSDT file in kernel after 2.6.30. Is any solutution for Isadora? Or I must use older verion -Gloria?
Ubuntu bugs here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/246222 Any help? :cry:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

andrew5859 wrote: I think people can better express themselves without the profanties and vulgar language
... You Americans and your sensitivities ... :lol:

Know then that other cultures have far less troubles with that. No German, Italian or French TV station will use beep-signals to "beep out" any of the f- or s- words that might occur in those languages. Your's is the only country I know where this ridiculous form of censorship is being used.
andrew5859 wrote: especially using Gods' name in vain..
Spare us your superstition, yes? :lol:
Canadian

Post by Canadian »

andrew5859 wrote:@saltyp

I think people can better express themselves without the profanties and vulgar language, especially using Gods' name in vain...If I was your mother, I'd wash your mouth out with soap. You show a deep lack of intelligence by using foul language....it doesn't make you look macho or smart, it just makes you look stupid...
Actually your puritan comment makes you look stupid. You should grow up and stop believing in invisible men in the sky...
NimaSepassi

Post by NimaSepassi »

I'm having a problem with this.
markfiend wrote:Similar to the upgrade path posted here for 7 -> 8, will this work for upgrading 8 -> 9 ?
Upgrading from the command line (faster):

Open a terminal and type the following commands:

* gksu gedit /etc/apt/sources.list (Change all occurrences of “helena” to “isadora”, and all occurences of “karmic” to “lucid”, remove the lines for the Community section of the Linux Mint repository, then save the file and close the editor)
* apt update
* apt install mint-info-main (choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)
* apt install mint-meta-main(choose “Y” or “I” to install the package maintainer’s version)

In the terminal, repeat the following commands until both upgrade commands show no upgrades available:

* apt upgrade
* apt dist-upgrade
* apt install mint-meta-main
I used this to upgrade to 9 but having problems with login. Maybe GRUB problem? It shows command line login option (displays Linux 9 Isadora ... desktop login: . Any ideas?

Thanks
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

scorp123 wrote:... You Americans and your sensitivities ... :lol:

Know then that other cultures have far less troubles with that. No German, Italian or French TV station will use beep-signals to "beep out" any of the f- or s- words that might occur in those languages. Your's is the only country I know where this ridiculous form of censorship is being used.
Spare us your superstition, yes? :lol:
I don't think it's about censoring things but it's much more about just being polite to each other. I don't like to see swear words in any forum and I wouldn't like my children to see them either. If you think that believing in God is a superstition then I think it's sad.. but even if you do, please don't offend people who believe.
Canadian wrote:Actually your puritan comment makes you look stupid. You should grow up and stop believing in invisible men in the sky...
I think that your comment makes you look stupid. You should try to respect other peoples' belief even if you don't believe.

I really think that these kind of posts what you wrote guys just don't fit here at all and reflects negatively on Linux community.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”