Linux Mint 9 released!

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
MysticGold04

Re: Linux Mint 9 released!

Post by MysticGold04 »

I Just recently took the time to update from Helena to Isadora. I must say that installation was very speedy and it only took me about 20min total to upgrade, because I have a separate /home. Very nice release indeed!! Now that Ipod/IPhones are now supported, (havent tried it yet) I might be able to get rid of Windows completely!?

Congrats on another great release Mint Dev Team!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

pappfer wrote: I don't like to see swear words in any forum and I wouldn't like my children to see them either.
This may be true for hardcore f-word, a-word and m-word expressions ... but come on: The expressions "saltyp" used up there were rather harmless. The puritan comments here are really ridiculous.
pappfer wrote: I think it's sad..
Spare me your condescending compassion, yes?
pappfer wrote: but even if you do, please don't offend people who believe.
And how about you stop offending people who don't believe? Telling someone "... it's sad ... " is exactly that: An offense. You demand "please don't offend us" and yet you yourself display no respect.
pappfer wrote: I really think that these kind of posts what you wrote guys just don't fit here at all and reflects negatively on Linux community.
Oh now you speak for the entire community too? Here is news for you: You don't. Not even Linus Torvalds would claim such a thing. We're a diverse bunch and some may believe something or others may not believe it. The point is that the comment that "saltyp" posted up there is all in all rather harmless and the puritan comments here about "using God's name in vain ... " are totally exaggerated. All he did is praise Linux Mint. You people might want to take off your puritan glasses for a second and just try and see other people's postings in that light. Instead of turning everything into a Jihad against your oh so offended invisible God that you people so feverishly believe in.

If you want puritan language I suggest you visit http://www.vatican.va and leave Linux behind you ... there are several 100 occurences of swear words in the Linux kernel. It's kinda part of the culture the Linux kernel was born out of. Live with it. Or leave it. But spare us your puritan views.

http://www.vidarholen.net/contents/wordcount/
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

scorp123 why don't you just shut the hell up and take your ignorant ass outa here if you're so damned offended and frightened over people's beliefs.
Not using foul language is just common courtesy. But I see someone of your limited intelligence wouldn't know anything about that. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
Catmint

Post by Catmint »

scorp123 wrote:
andrew5859 wrote: especially using Gods' name in vain..
Spare us your superstition, yes? :lol:
Canadian wrote:Actually your puritan comment makes you look stupid. You should grow up and stop believing in invisible men in the sky...
Fully agree with those :mrgreen:
Those bible-thumbing puritans should better keep their preaching ("Don't use Big Invisible Dude's name in vain" etc.) to themselves, this certainly isn't the place for it :evil:
scorp123 wrote:
pappfer wrote: but even if you do, please don't offend people who believe.
And how about you stop offending people who don't believe? Telling someone "... it's sad ... " is exactly that: An offense. You demand "please don't offend us" and yet you yourself display no respect.
Absolutely right!
Those holier-than-thou Christians always scream the loudest when they feel offended for the tiniest of reasons, yet they are the ones who are the most intolerant bunch themselves! They neither tolerate any other religion nor non-believers, yet they expect everyone to respect them in return. That's just uber-hypocritical. If they want to be respected, they'd better start by respecting others in the first place. But no, they rather try to push their crap on you to evangelise you at every opportunity.
BubbaBlues wrote:Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
I recommend the very same to all the bible-thumbers in here.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

BubbaBlues wrote:scorp123 why don't you just shut the hell up and take your ignorant ass outa here if you're so damned offended and frightened over people's beliefs.
I don't care about other people's beliefs for as long as they don't tell others what they should believe or not. Live and let live. It's always your camp that starts those discussions and then resorts to ad hominem attacks. What's next? Threats about your invisible God shooting arrows of lightning at me? :lol:
pappfer

Post by pappfer »

@scorp123: I don't think I offended you. At least I didn't mean to. When I said "it's sad" I meant that "I'm sad that some people doesn't believe in God and they also offend people who does". What I meant about the community is that as far as I realised Linux community is much about understanding and helping each other. Now you call someone's belief a "superstition", this is an intentional offence (I think) and what I meant is that's not really about understanding and helping each other. You hurt many people who believe. It's just a thing which many people are sensitive about. You should try to accept it. You don't have to believe, it's up to you, but please don't offend people who do. That's all I wanted to say.

My native language is not English so I don't know how rude is to say what he said. So you might be right, it might be exaggerated. I don't know I just can't decide. The cause why I replied is that you and Canadian (and since Catmint) are talking something like "you are stupid, because you believe in God, you should grow up, we know that He doesn't exists". I just couldn't leave it without any words that you disrespect many, who believe.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Can we please move the religious arguments to another forum? This topic is supposed to be about the release of Mint 9. If anyone runs across something that offends them in any post, please report it instead of arguing about it.

Others are trying to read and post to this topic about things that are on topic and this back and forth over a simple word that could have been reported to the moderators and edited out in 30 seconds is interfering with their right to post on topic.

If this continues in this topic, the topic will be locked.
Brad

Post by Brad »

Linux Mint 9 is the best OS ever!The LXDE RC looks quite good too and I can't wait till 9 KDE comes out!How about a E17 version?
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

KDE! KDE! KDE! I too love Mint, but alas, I'm using kubuntu until the kde version of Mint 9 is available. I'm so used to kde that gnome just doesn't
shine for me the way it used to.
scriber

Post by scriber »

Hi y'all
WOW! What a great release - thanks to the whole team.
Please keep up the GREAT work
Scriber 8)
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Ok I can take it. Is there really gonna be a Mint 9 KDE release? :roll:
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you've been reading the blog, you'll know that there will indeed be a LM 9 KDE release; right now it's in the form of a RC.
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

Obviously I haven't been reading the blog. Yippee!! 8)
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I have wiped out my perfectly configured and tweaked Kubuntu and installed Mint 9 KDE RC. It is good. Real good!
If it would only rain, I'd sing in it. :D
deshowe2k10

Post by deshowe2k10 »

Hi Folks

Am I seeing right that the version of LM9 DVD (32Bit) version is only 763MB. If so then it can still be classed as a CD version. If I am wrong can someone point me in the direction of the FULL DVD version please.

Many thanks

Des
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello deshowe2k10,
The Live DVD version is available here
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
deshowe2k10

Post by deshowe2k10 »

Thank you Oscar799.

I have downloaded this version already but was concerned that it says DVD but really fits onto a CD.

I would of thought that the DVD version would of been closer to 1GB than 800MB.

Sorry Folks if this looks like I'm moaning.

Many thanks

Des
vincent

Post by vincent »

CD capacity ranges from around 650 MB to 800 MB, so the "DVD version" may or may not fit on the CDs you have. It's safer to just call it a DVD version in case somebody tries to install it on a lower-end CD. :P
AliasM2K

Post by AliasM2K »

Thanks a lot guys... And great work!

Will be downloading and installing it in a few days...

Will give the feedback then ;)
Mutiny32

Post by Mutiny32 »

Aging Technogeek wrote:Can we please move the religious arguments to another forum? This topic is supposed to be about the release of Mint 9. If anyone runs across something that offends them in any post, please report it instead of arguing about it.

Others are trying to read and post to this topic about things that are on topic and this back and forth over a simple word that could have been reported to the moderators and edited out in 30 seconds is interfering with their right to post on topic.

If this continues in this topic, the topic will be locked.
Hear hear!

Anyway, great release!

I only wish DMRAID wasn't so screwed up upstream that it breaks the installer for software RAID or that I had to option to use btrfs upon install. Again, great work everyone and thanks!

Return to “Releases & Announcements”