Mint 9 + widows XP

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TiK

Mint 9 + widows XP

Post by TiK »

yes hello good day

My proble is I installed linux mint 9 30gigs from a dvd iso. The install goes fine and the cd pops out and asks for a reboot. on this dell computer. but when I reboot it boots directly into windows XP and there is no mention of linux mint 9 however I can see the install from windows nd it is taking up the 30 gigs. any ideas as to why there is no boot loader?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
beefstu

Re: Mint 9 + widows XP

Post by beefstu »

Try reinstalling grub using this guide http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/06/how ... ndows.html
kspringer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kspringer »

I'm going to watch this thread.

This is posted under the mint4win forum.

If I understand the OP correctly, he probably installed 30gig with mint4win and when he rebooted, it didn't boot into mint. Only into Windows XP.
I have the same problem only with Vista.

So. I'm watching this thread.

k
beefstu

Post by beefstu »

Ah. Sorry did not notice what foerum this was posted in. Please ignore my previous post as I dont think it's applicable.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

TiK wrote:yes hello good day

My proble is I installed linux mint 9 30gigs from a dvd iso. The install goes fine and the cd pops out and asks for a reboot. on this dell computer. but when I reboot it boots directly into windows XP and there is no mention of linux mint 9 however I can see the install from windows nd it is taking up the 30 gigs. any ideas as to why there is no boot loader?
Maybe the boot-CD helps you ?

UltraBoot2 = Mint 9 + Ubuntu 10.04 + Ubuntu 9.04 + USB_modeswitch-paketteja + SmartBootManager + ohjeita

http://sites.google.com/site/bootcdoobe ... ects=0&d=1

http://forum.ubuntu-fi.org/index.php?topic=33052.0

Uups ... mint4win means wubi-installed ? :cry:
TiK

Post by TiK »

I just got rid of window completyl and installed a linux install and it worked fine
kspringer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kspringer »

Wish I could do that.
It's my daughter's computer and she uses windows for ITunes. Yeah, I know, but hey...

k
sakisds

Post by sakisds »

I am not sure about this, I have to use windows for a long time.

Press Super(The flag button)+F and run msconfig. From there you should find a boot list, check if mint is there. If it is, check the timeout, make sure its not 0 seconds (default is 10 by the way).
kspringer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kspringer »

(Sorry for the delay - my internet has been down for three days. Lightening at the ISP, I think.)

Thanks, I'll check this the next time I see her computer.

There's a bug in WUBI (of which mint4win is based, I believe) that causes WUBI not to work when the media is a DVD. I'd originally pulled the DVD for 32 bit and 64 bit when Mint 9 was first released and tried the install with those. (If anyone wants a reference for that, it's https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide#DVD%2 ... nate%20ISO )

So then I pulled down the CD and installed it on her computer. Same result. When I reboot, it booted directly into Windows (Vista, in this case) and still had no Mint or anything Linux anywhere.

Again, I'll check the msconfig... Thanks.

k
myspacecommassergio

Post by myspacecommassergio »

bump

CRAP!

I have the same issue (windows VISTA)... I tried isntalling via Mint4Win for the KDE version of Mint. it won't work. Same as the guys above. Some one please fix. Partitioning is such a pain plus my windows computer is purposely blocking me from paritioning anymore I don't know why when I have over 30GB free. Mint4Win was the only way to insall this. :(

and No windows is not getting swiped off my PC...windows is not being ripped out I need windows for alot of stuff I do and fun video games that I love to play. WINE will not suffice in that department(for me).
myspacecommassergio

over 600views and still no solution :cry: ( '.')
myspacecommassergio

ok heres a thuaght and I'm not super pro in linux so if this is possible someone please by all means post a step by step how to.

I installed kubuntu previously before trying the lattest mint version of KDE and that went just fine...now is there any way to install kubuntu via wubi and then through the packadge manager/repos to download the mint packadges and convert kubuntu into Linux mint KDE? Or to do the same thing with ubuntu and convert it into Mint (gnome) for the XP user who was trying to isntall just gnome version unlike me i want the kde version. So is my theory possible? I read about things like this all the time... if any info some one please follow up. Thanks. Mas Sergio :mrgreen:

Return to “Installation & Boot”