Can´t install Firefox 3.6 + system messed up.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Can´t install Firefox 3.6 + system messed up.

Post by wassm. »

Hi,
for two days i am trying to install firefox 3.6, but it is no go-basically i follow these instructions:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=41257
After my old firefox 3.5 is removed, i can open firefox/namaroka 3.62 for only one time-after closing it - nothing-can´t run the browser any more.

One more thing-today, after i added daily package karmic for firefox, ubuntu tweak gave me to upgrade to linux-headers-2.6.31-19. I did it, but after that i had no more wireless, and couldn´t install hardware drivers for broadcom wlan-error reported.

So i downgraded back to linux-headers-2.6.31-17, and to firefox 3.5.7-and now seems all to be fine.

So, what is it-anybody knows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Can´t install Firefox 3.6 + system messed up.

Post by richyrich »

One more thing-today, after i added daily package karmic for firefox, ubuntu tweak gave me to upgrade to linux-headers-2.6.31-19.
Once you have gone beyond Mint, then it is up to you (or your ubuntu upgrade forums) to fix it ! :mrgreen:
wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

You have right-i figured it, disabled that source-now i will behave nice :D .

I ask it because i saw here on forum that some people have installed firefox 3.6 on fluxbox, so i thought it should be possible also for me.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Clem usually has some sort of an announcement when Firefox upgrades are available (I usually see them on Twitter). With Mint, I generally have to recommend staying with only level 1, 2, and 3 upgrades in mintUpdate. I too have had issues with Firefox 3.6 thus far, but I haven't yet looked into it as I rarely use Firefox in the first place.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Usually you don't see Firefox upgrades in the standard Ubuntu repos until it has been vetted into Debian sid. Then Ubuntu pulls Iceweasel, replaces the branding and puts it into the repos. Iceweasel is currently at 3.5.6 in sid.

Now you know why your system is messed up. If you don't want breakage don't try to get ahead of the vetting process. :-)

Fred
wassm.
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wassm. »

Fred wrote:Usually you don't see Firefox upgrades in the standard Ubuntu repos until it has been vetted into Debian sid. Then Ubuntu pulls Iceweasel, replaces the branding and puts it into the repos. Iceweasel is currently at 3.5.6 in sid.

Now you know why your system is messed up. If you don't want breakage don't try to get ahead of the vetting process. :-)

Fred
Thanks for explanation.
So, i´ll just wait to see if chrome is going to work properly under fluxbox.
michellejane

Post by michellejane »

As per my experience clear catch , cookies , history and scan your system with anti virus system then after delete older version and after do these try to download . Hope this simple troubleshooting step helps you to solve out your problem . Once I had same problem I followed same step and now all going properly .

Return to “Software & Applications”